Laid off from driving

anthonyb1203

So I've been laid off from driving a full route. Now in order to get my 8 hour guarantee I have to work preload and reload which is, whatever, but my driver pay has dropped back down to my old preload rate, AND, because I don't have 10 hours off between the reload shift and preload shift, other cover drivers are driving and I can't do anything about it because of the 10 hour off rule. Anyway around this or has anyone else been dealing with this? Only thing I can think of to do, is work a quarter of my reload shift to get 10 hours off between shifts so I can POSSIBLY drive, unless they cut a route.. And of course the 2 new managers at the center and the main manager we have doesn't seem to want to help me keep my driver pay rate by giving me 1 day a week every 7 days. Great company.... Any thoughts?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

First thought is change your avatar so they don't know it's you.

Second would be you're pretty much SOL. Your best option would be just work preload and hope you get a route. But you're kind of taking chances there.

anthonyb1203

First thought is change your avatar so they don't know it's you.

Second would be you're pretty much SOL. Your best option would be just work preload and hope you get a route. But you're kind of taking chances there.
It's ok if they know it's me. I'm not doing anything wrong by asking questions. But yeah skipping the shift is taking a chance and sucks if I don't drive.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

But yeah skipping the shift is taking a chance and sucks if I don't drive.
Pretty much, but until the take you off layoff it's your only option if you do want to drive. Another thing is summer vacations are starting to kick in. You're going to get driving here pretty soon.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
I would file based on Seniority. If a lower seniority driver is working because you're laid off, you're looking at a basic breach of good faith. Learn to play hardball with mgmt and get your steward and business agent involved. If you let yourself be pushed around, your going to have a long crappy career.

Kicked Your Dog

Pretty much, but until the take you off layoff it's your only option if you do want to drive. Another thing is summer vacations are starting to kick in. You're going to get driving here pretty soon.
The last person you should be taking advice from is a supervisor, in this situation. SMH. Get your local involved.

Kicked Your Dog

The part where you started typing. Play for the side of the fence you're on. You have ZERO driving experience and have never been laid off as a driver. Let those with actual knowledge and experience deal with this. We're talking about a man's wage and a livelihood hood here, not bs operational goals. Your advice continues the asinine philosophy of layoffs during a time of plenty.

CHALLY9TX

As long as seniority is being followed there's not much you can do. And like frigid said, summer vacations are kicking in so you'll probably be driving again.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

The part where you started typing. Play for the side of the fence you're on. You have ZERO driving experience and have never been laid off as a driver. Let those with actual knowledge and experience deal with this. We're talking about a man's wage and a livelihood hood here, not bs operational goals. Your advice continues the asinine philosophy of layoffs during a time of plenty.
So it wasn't content it was the poster. Got it.

Adults don't disregard other's opinions simply because of a title.

J

jibbs

So it wasn't content it was the poster. Got it.

Adults don't disregard other's opinions simply because of a title.

Actually, adults tend to judge books by their cover more often than not. I mean, that's what titles are for, right? To let you know in a few short words whether or not the content will hold your interest.

That's, like... the whole point of titles, FAC. Granted, it's always good to keep an open mind but how many people do you know'll read the first few chapters of a book they think sounds like :censored2: just because they want to give it a chance?

People are more picky with each other than with books, in my experience.

Also, I didn't read any of this thread other than Kicked Your Dog's last post which contained a quote, so it may be irrelevant but I don't care. All I really wanted to do was tell Kicked Your Dog that if he ever kicks my dog I'll :censored2: him up, bro, twice, but then I got distracted because I'm a li'l drunk and here we are, me typing and you reading.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
So I've been laid off from driving a full route. Now in order to get my 8 hour guarantee I have to work preload and reload which is, whatever, but my driver pay has dropped back down to my old preload rate, AND, because I don't have 10 hours off between the reload shift and preload shift, other cover drivers are driving and I can't do anything about it because of the 10 hour off rule. Anyway around this or has anyone else been dealing with this? Only thing I can think of to do, is work a quarter of my reload shift to get 10 hours off between shifts so I can POSSIBLY drive, unless they cut a route.. And of course the 2 new managers at the center and the main manager we have doesn't seem to want to help me keep my driver pay rate by giving me 1 day a week every 7 days. Great company.... Any thoughts?

Listen, it sucks. But it is what it is. Get your eight and deal with it or cut short your hours and have a chance to drive.

Get buddy with some sups and see if they'll let you see the weekly volume projections. That way you'll know when you have a shot and when you should just work your full reload shift.

They're running a business. Keeping you at driver pay for no good reason doesn't make bussiness sense.

Now of you don't get 10 hours off and someone below you drives don't feel bad filing a grievance. They should be planning for such occurrences.

But if you are not driving and neither is anyone below then you're stuck.

I did this every summer for 4-5 months when I started driving. I lived. So will you.

box_beeyotch

How about you stop working the splits and show up every morning in browns and go find a route. You might not know it, but someone will go home. Also talk to a steward and find out if they are handling this correctly. Never take management's word for ANYTHING.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
How about you stop working the splits and show up every morning in browns and go find a route. You might not know it, but someone will go home. Also talk to a steward and find out if they are handling this correctly. Never take management's word for ANYTHING.
Better yet, don't be such a pansie and read the DAMN CONTRACT AND KNOW FOR YOURSELF WHAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE DONE!

Browntown2014

In my local you are paid your driver rate if you have to work in the hub.