Laid Off!

brownstreak86

I am a new driver (outside hire), started back in November and after my 9th seasonal position with UPS, I am now a permanent driver. Last week I worked three days, and this week I've only worked one hour so far shuttling air. I wasn't sure what to expect as far as hours worked after peak, but I am getting a little nervous. It could be weeks or months before I work a full 40+ hours a week again. I've made seniority and have over 30 days in. But I've got student loans, rent, and other bills to deal with.
What have other drivers done to keep afloat during lean times at UPS? I'm looking for other jobs, but to find one with the flexibility I need is difficult. Any ideas? I want to make this work, but I really can't afford to not work for 3 months.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Go into the building. Or become an Uber driver. We have a guy who drives for FedEx ground on his off days too, but I'm not sure this is a good idea just yet.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That doesn't matter. UPS can still offer you something to do. They can deny your UC claim for that exact reason. Just because you're a driver doesn't mean you are always guaranteed work as a driver.
They aren't offering him any work though. Just telling him he's laid off

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That doesn't matter. UPS can still offer you something to do. They can deny your UC claim for that exact reason. Just because you're a driver doesn't mean you are always guaranteed work as a driver.

Not in the Central.

You can elect to take a layoff instead of bumping 1 or 2 part timers and you would be considered laid off for the purposes of unemployment.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm in the central. I knew there was a reason I had heard just take unemployment.

Article 3

Section 6

If a laid-off, fulltime employee elects to take a layoff rather than exercise his/her
right to displace a part-time employee, he/she shall be considered a laid-off employee for lack of work for the purpose of unemployment compensation.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Collect unemployment? We had one guy start his 30 days last Monday and hasn't drove a single day yet. I'm worried for him :sad:

Rack em

Made the Podium
I know. Not only did they start him now when there are 2 other drivers already being laid off most the week. But he plans on putting on 2 more drivers by the end of the summer? Aint no way they are all going to qualify unless a lot of drivers take unpaid days off