lake effect 2011-12

menotyou

bella amicizia
In the upper right corner, The second building in is the YMCA. The big glass windows is where I look out in the treadmill.
First Baptist Church Watertown Public Square Webcam

texan

Had to look at a New York map. Understood now. But I feel for you. Great Lakes weather, brrrrrrrrrr.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The weird part about lake effect snow is that it is not part of a storm--it is simply cold air picking up moisture over a warm body of water and dumping it when it meets cold land. I have driven through a lake effect event two separate times and both times were white-knuckle moments. Picture going from a sunny day in to a blizzard and then back out in less than 1/2 hour. Imagine going from 65+ mph down to less than 20 on a major highway (I-81). Try to imagine the frustration of shoveling a foot or more of snow today only to have to do it again tomorrow and maybe even the day after while your neighbors less than an hour away wake up to clear skies.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Those whineasses cry all they want. So can everyone else with supposed lake effect. They don't have 7 miles of Ontario churning at you with a 7 mile water lift of thunder clouds dumping 4 inches of snow an hour for days at a time.
We are the real snow belt. All others are just cheap imitations. :winks:

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
If you mean all Great Lake cities are part of the real snow belt, I will agree with you.

If you are limiting it to just Lake Ontario...

menotyou

bella amicizia
If you mean all Great Lake cities are part of the real snow belt, I will agree with you.

If you are limiting it to just Lake Ontario...
:winks: cheap imitators!! :rofl: just kidding. But, you do know some cities are in the 'sweet spot' to get pounded with the white stuff. Just logistics! :rofl:

Where I live, there is a competition(so whacked) between Syracuse and Buffalo as to who gets more snow. We got 179 inches of snow last year, winning the NYS Golden Snowball Award.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Lake Superior is an OCEAN compared to the other Great Lake puddles.

Lake effect snow is the price paid for living next to the largest reserve of fresh water on Planet Earth.
Warmer by the lake / Cooler by the lake are interchangeable terms proving that she (the Great Lakes) takes care of the faithful lining her shores.

I grew up on the Southwest corner of Lake Michigan.
We had snow and we liked it. (Sorta like the primadonna area of the Great Lakes - we experience it all but in gentle quanities.)
Weather Elements: Lake-Effect Snow Climatology in the Great Lakes Region