"Last, Best, and Final" offer sent to Local 89

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
From http://www.teamsters89.com/?zone=/unionactive/view_article.cfm&HomeID=398800

UPS HURLS “LAST, BEST AND FINAL” AT ITS WORKERS—LOCAL 89 RECOMMENDS MEMBERS VOTE NO!

In its blind arrogance, UPS is once again attempting to force through a dangerously substandard Louisville Air Supplement. Local 89 was informed this week that a proposal submitted by UPS on Feb. 28, was intended by the Company to be a “last, best and final offer”, which will be sent out for a vote by the membership.

This “offer” is essentially unchanged from the previous proposal, which was soundly rejected by a staggering 89% of Air District voters. Among other issues of importance, UPS has again failed to properly address key issues such as the broken shuttle system, full-time jobs, healthcare, 6-hour pensions and subcontracting. When particular difference, however, is the removal of the $1000 “incentive” bonus included in the previous proposal.

VOTE NO AGAIN!

Teamsters Local 89 is again urging the membership to VOTE NO on this latest attempt by UPS to force through a substandard contract. Though we do not have the date in which ballots will be sent to the membership, it is of extreme importance that all members stay informed and engaged in this process. Further, we should work to educate our newest members in the importance of voting down this potentially catastrophic proposal.

Read more here

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

Anonymous 12

Non active member
Back in 76 ups jumped over a dollar to save a dime and closed a hub in Pittsburgh because of a strike. They opened the New Stanton building and moved all the work. As the story was passed down to me every worker lost their job. I think this would be impossible to do now for ups but I see a major diversion of volume around the corner. Fred won't have as many members next contract.

If there's one thing I've learned about ups they don't fight fair and there not scared to take a loss on a place that they should have never built in the first place.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
Mark my words you heard it here first. When this starts to happen you'll see it right here on this message board. I'll be the one telling you all I told you so.

Island

Wow. That 89 site has its arguments well stated. I have to applaud that memorandum that Piedmont linked to, its arguments against the IBT's "just vote yes" doctrine are compelling.
More power to them. It sounds like even if they were given all the things they are asking for, they are still not getting very much. They're trying to patch holes, much less make gains. 3-hour shifts? 6-hour fulltimers with crap pension? I mean I'd love to be a 30 hr/wk "fulltime" employee but if I had to start at 15 hr/wk I would probably not have kept the job in the first place. And then they have to spend two or more hours dealing with that transit system! Those poor guys have no time for a second job, that is plainly enforced part-time poverty, more so than the rest of us have it.

Stonefish

Wow. That 89 site has its arguments well stated. I have to applaud that memorandum that Piedmont linked to, its arguments against the IBT's "just vote yes" doctrine are compelling.
More power to them. It sounds like even if they were given all the things they are asking for, they are still not getting very much. They're trying to patch holes, much less make gains. 3-hour shifts? 6-hour fulltimers with crap pension? I mean I'd love to be a 30 hr/wk "fulltime" employee but if I had to start at 15 hr/wk I would probably not have kept the job in the first place. And then they have to spend two or more hours dealing with that transit system! Those poor guys have no time for a second job, that is plainly enforced part-time poverty, more so than the rest of us have it.

So let me get this straight they have a 6 hour part-time employee why would Fred ever agree to that? Now he wants to blame the IBT? For that? Really? Stop it. Ask Them what kind of pension these 6 hour people get. See if you part-timers feel sorry for them then.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
So let me get this straight they have a 6 hour part-time employee why would Fred ever agree to that? Now he wants to blame the IBT? For that? Really? Stop it. Ask Them what kind of pension these 6 hour people get. See if you part-timers feel sorry for them then.
You can't reason with a madman.

O/C

Back in 76 ups jumped over a dollar to save a dime and closed a hub in Pittsburgh because of a strike. They opened the New Stanton building and moved all the work. As the story was passed down to me every worker lost their job. I think this would be impossible to do now for ups but I see a major diversion of volume around the corner. Fred won't have as many members next contract.

If there's one thing I've learned about ups they don't fight fair and there not scared to take a loss on a place that they should have never built in the first place.

Case in point the infamous TNT deal in Europe. 250,000,000 plus wasted for nothing. 407, you are way overestimating corporate's intelligence, most of it is blind arrogance and greed.

Story has it that the pilot's union is in mediation now. I remember them walking the picket line with us in "97". Louisville hub and "L89" would be a different animal than Pittsburgh in the mid-seventies.

O/C

$250M would have been a drop in the bucket compared to the ROI had the deal gone through.

It did not go through, a quarter of a Billion dollars would fit very nicely in my bucket. I saw the video with the board explaining the misadventure, didn't understand any of their excuses (corporate gibberish), their body language explained it all. I figured out that one of them had to go (early retirement), it was a blunder plain and simple.

O/C

Without risks there are no rewards.

What if air service had never been started?

Sent using BrownCafe App

I would imagine that L89 would agree with that statement. These supplements and riders are a very, very long way from being settled, members are starting to realize that whoever's supplement or rider is settled last will be in the best position to get what they want. Negotiations 101..

upschuck

That is a long way off, unless there is a total breakdown in negotiations, and possibly a strike vote, I don't see this happening.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
Case in point the infamous TNT deal in Europe. 250,000,000 plus wasted for nothing. 407, you are way overestimating corporate's intelligence, most of it is blind arrogance and greed.

Story has it that the pilot's union is in mediation now. I remember them walking the picket line with us in "97". Louisville hub and "L89" would be a different animal than Pittsburgh in the mid-seventies.
I think that's what I said in my post but don't ever overestimate the cunning, cut throat, stupid, spiteful, and arrogant big brown machine. They already are plotting this. They got caught with their pants down once and they came back with all kinds of Technology to dumb up this job and they will move a portion of Freds work. This will show Fred it ain't his work.

One thing I learned as a youth who fought a lot and thought I was the baddest man/boy on the block. There is always someone tougher.

Hawfuh Sux

Old Guard Assassin!

Just because you don't want to strike it doesn't mean others don't. Why didn't you ever submit your application to join management? You're nothing but a company man. People like you baffle me.

Stonefish

Just because you don't have the balls to strike it doesn't mean others don't. Why didn't you ever submit your application to join management? You're nothing but a company man. People like you baffle me.

Or maybe he has the intelligence to know when it's smart to strike or not.

Oh I almost forgot TDU SUCKS

Irishman Collins

Memphis here ups comes.
Yes, 407 lets give up and give in. You cant be serious? Did you read Jimmy Hoffa's letter to the Democratic party and how it affects non-profit plans like Central States? Why are you so anxious to continue to be in a plan that wont be sustainable unless legislation is passed to protect non-profit plans? Hoffa's words not mine. The Republicans will never support any legislation that protects Unions from the Affordable Care Act. I beg of you, please do a little research before you look through your rose colored glasses.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I think that's what I said in my post but don't ever overestimate the cunning, cut throat, stupid, spiteful, and arrogant big brown machine. They already are plotting this. They got caught with their pants down once and they came back with all kinds of Technology to dumb up this job and they will move a portion of Freds work. This will show Fred it ain't his work.

One thing I learned as a youth who fought a lot and thought I was the baddest man/boy on the block. There is always someone tougher.
UPS has invested far too much to ever abandon their position in the Louisville based Worldport facility.
Even if it were their intention, there is no way such a drastic move could be made in time to wiggle out of the mess that is the Local 89 supplement.
We call on that bluff.