Last Democratic Recession

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
That’s just a long winded way of saying Carter solved inflation. He let the Fed do its thing and didn’t interfere despite it costing him a second term. It’s called patriotism, not something Republicans understand.
I have always stood by Volcker's monetary policies for that place in time.
By 1978, I had already resigned Carter to the trash bin of Presidential ineptitude.
Ironically, he has been the most positive and respectable President after leaving office ... other than his involvement in American Partisan Politics in which he is perhaps the worst ex-President in my lifetime.
Carter didn't solve inflation.
Presidents cannot tell the Fed what to do ... you've stated that several times in the last year.
If you want to give credit to Carter for appointing Volcker ... fine.
Carter didn't know diddly about macro-economics but he was smart enough to let Volcker implement his monetary medicine.
That's like saying I did brain surgery because I recommended a brain surgeon.
Of course, in your twisted biased mind, you do you.

floridays

That’s just a long winded way of saying Carter solved inflation. He let the Fed do its thing and didn’t interfere despite it costing him a second term. It’s called patriotism, not something Republicans understand.
It's called, "I'm an American, I don't need a peanut from Georgia telling me to turn my heat down in the winter."

It will be fine

Presidents cannot tell the Fed what to do ... you've stated that several times in the last year.
Carter didn't know diddly about macro-economics but he was smart enough to let Volcker implement his monetary medicine.
The guy sold his peanut farm. He knew plenty about macro-economics. You just can’t give credit where it’s due.

newfie

Carter wasn't as bad as history makes him out to be. Mostly he was in over his head and state politics in Georgia didn't prepare him to run the country. And I agree he needs to keep his nose out politics now. He is a smart man making himself look stupid.

i dont know its hard to shake his handling of issues in general and especially the iran hostage situation. presidential politics is all about the perception of leadership and carter looked weak on everything.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Hasn't been a decent brain surgeon since Jethro Bodine.

Meat

It only started under the Republican administration because they was trying to mop up the mess before they got into office....

At this point, the global neoliberal economy is what it is for the majority of the US population. Trump’s economy is very similar to Obama’s, and getting the general populace to believe otherwise is a tremendous achievement in the annals of propaganda

I hope people like where they’re at economically speaking - it’s NEVER going to be better.

rickyb

Carter in 1976 was the last time I voted for a Democrat for President.
Reagan in 1980 was the first time I voted for a Republican for President.
Reagan in 1984 was the last time I voted for a Republican for President.
1988 was the first time I voted for 3rd party candidate for President - Ron Paul.
i feel like carter was the last semi honest president.

you :censored2:ed up with reagan.

nice with ron paul.

rickyb

theres been 11 recessions since the great depression.

they happen every 5 years. were overdue. hopefully it happens on trumps watch because hes a POS>

bacha29

This Carter-Volcker moment in history serves to reaffirm the fact that it's the federal reserve board chairman who really and truly does run the country.And given the ongoing globalization of the world's economies the fed chairman's reach continues to expand When Carter informed Volcker of his intention to nominate him to be the new fed chairman Volcker said to Carter: " I can solve the problem but it will cost you a second term". Carter's response: "Do it". I'm sure Dear Leader would have done the same........Hahahaha.

floridays

This Carter-Volcker moment in history serves to reaffirm the fact that it's the federal reserve board chairman who really and truly does run the country.And given the ongoing globalization of the world's economies the fed chairman's reach continues to expand When Carter informed Volcker of his intention to nominate him to be the new fed chairman Volcker said to Carter: " I can solve the problem but it will cost you a second term". Carter's response: "Do it". I'm sure Dear Leader would have done the same........Hahahaha.
Citation, you offered the quotation marks.