Last seasonal. What's a test route for ft?

Seasonaldriver69

Been promised a ft job after season. heard lots of "good luck not gonna happen " "can't be given your own route" etc. On my forst post here. So my hopes havnt been up.

Well, I'm the last driver in the hub. all other seasonal was laid off the 24th.

The manager said to me yesterday I'll be done mid jan. and then have a week or two off, he wants to put me on my own route when I come back but said I have to do the qualification run? basically was told I have to break even with the hours or hit bonus (done before)

1) sounds like the really may bring me back?
2) I make 18.75 now as a temp. what's hire on pay?
3) how can they give me my own route when some other guys said that's not possible?
4) have you heard of this test run that lasts a week?

Just want a heads up bevause I have a family to feed so I can't be standing around for 2 weeks to get thrown into somthing making less.

Appreciate the advice.
I work in a huge hub. serve about 7 citys if that helps in michigan.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Here is the starting pay for full time driver with the rate of progression
(c) The progression for employees entering a package car driving,
feeder or other full-time job (other than an air driver or a job cov-
ered by Section 3 below) after August 1, 2013 shall be as follows:
Start $18.75
Seniority $18.75
Twelve (12) months $19.50
Twenty-four (24) months $21.00
Thirty-six (36) months $25.00
Forty-eight (48) months Top Rate
Congratulations and good luck.
The other questions can only be answered by someone in you building

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Been promised a ft job after season. heard lots of "good luck not gonna happen " "can't be given your own route" etc. On my forst post here. So my hopes havnt been up.

Well, I'm the last driver in the hub. all other seasonal was laid off the 24th.

The manager said to me yesterday I'll be done mid jan. and then have a week or two off, he wants to put me on my own route when I come back but said I have to do the qualification run? basically was told I have to break even with the hours or hit bonus (done before)

1) sounds like the really may bring me back?
2) I make 18.75 now as a temp. what's hire on pay?
3) how can they give me my own route when some other guys said that's not possible?
4) have you heard of this test run that lasts a week?

Just want a heads up bevause I have a family to feed so I can't be standing around for 2 weeks to get thrown into somthing making less.

Appreciate the advice.
I work in a huge hub. serve about 7 citys if that helps in michigan.
Why do these newbies always think they only do one route and one route only?

Over 70

You'll be a reg temp driver if I was a betting man. Sounds like they are giving you the opportunity to qualify/obtain seniority though...

I wouldn't think they would let you qualify right off the bat if they didn't plan on working you a lot though? They could just play games and keep you hanging around as an insurance policy.

Then again they could play games during those 30 days too...it's UPS

I'd keep expectations low no matter what you're told until it's in writing and take it one day at a time. I get having a family but wrong job if you're looking for any guarantees.

brownelf

Do you know who your steward is? Talk to him he'll know if there's people planning to retire, lots of us waited for this year to bail to get the $200 CS FT pension increase. There will be openings around here for sure, first bunch leaving at the end of January I'm one of them. And if you do qualify join the union.

ManInBrown

First off if you're only laid off for 1 week, you're in. There is no qualifying, at least where I am. There's a cut off date where if you are laid off, and called back before that date you're in. As soon as you punch in that day they call you back, you are a permanent FT driver. If you are called back after that date you have to qualify all over again. Again, that's how it works where I am. Not sure about other locals. And I don't know the date you have to be called back. It's either a date, or a certain amount of time. Maybe 60 working days. Not sure

Best of luck. But don't ever believe what they tell you. They play games. Basically believe it when you see it.

Seasonaldriver69

I don't know. that's why I asked. he said a week or two inbetween seasonal and full time. and it's a "training route", after that he wants to put me on "my own route". the training is 5 days...but I already did intregrad. it's somthing different where I have to break even on the schedule timing to "qualify." there are 4 drivers retiring this January if that helps.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't know. that's why I asked. he said a week or two inbetween seasonal and full time. and it's a "training route", after that he wants to put me on "my own route". the training is 5 days...but I already did intregrad. it's somthing different where I have to break even on the schedule timing to "qualify." there are 4 drivers retiring this January if that helps.

It's called running "scratch".

542thruNthru

A training route is one you do for 30 working days. I don't see how you'll get your own route so don't hold your breath for that. If you do get your chance at FT work your butt off to pass. Once you pass take care of your body and learn the contract.

Good luck

Over 70

5 days sounds more like sup riding with you for you to train you to temporarily cover a route as a reg temp driver.

In my experience they say that long and if you show you're not a maroon and have a pulse they throw you to the wolves after 2 half days

It doesn't mean you'll gain seniority or anything if they want to lay you off at the perfect time. I'm wishing you the best though.