Late Air ....

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
You and every other PC driver (myself included) have a crapload of other things to worry about just in the course of the day. It sucks having to deal with being harassed about late air that you don't have control over. If its not late air then its going to be something else as that's how UPS works. Just put the ball in their court, do your best and cash the check Friday. Leave the worrying to them!

GolfCart

I had 4 late air last year in one day . 15 air stops . They Called me in office next day " talk to " you should have done town 1st and country 2nd . Then you would have had LESS late air . I told him so its OK to have late air just less of it ? He would NOT answer question :) .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had 4 late air last year in one day . 15 air stops . They Called me in office next day " talk to " you should have done town 1st and country 2nd . Then you would have had LESS late air . I told him so its OK to have late air just less of it ? He would NOT answer question :) .

One late air is too many but your center manager was right in that you should have tried to have as few late air as possible.

GolfCart

One late air is too many but your center manager was right in that you should have tried to have as few late air as possible.

I told him I wanted NO late air , I even started 10 mins early that day , still no luck ! My hub is wanting to cut out ALL AM part time drivers . I begged for help that day , he said there was none , do the best you can . Its just sad that UPS does not care anymore .

Packmule

You are right about the pride thing. All, (or most) of us do take pride in doing the job right and it is downright infuriating when we can't because of dispatch problems. That is when we have to stop taking it personally. We can and should bring the issue to mgt's attention, but after that, we can't be out there overdriving speed limits or conditions. Get the superman cape off and do your best, then don't beat yourself up.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I tell my center manager before I leave the building if I think I'm going to have late air. Then it's his problem.

Scoot

Are you doing a thorough pretrip before you leave the building? If you break down that will be the first thing you are asked. Also be sure to drive the speed limit to your area. If you get in an accident that will be the first thing you are asked. You'll be down to 5 air stops before you know it.

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
Do not enter your pkg car until your start time, on your start time count your air stops tell your center manager what you need help with. Put it in their hands, do your pretrip, dvir, leave bld, drive speed limit and put it on them. DO NOT enter pkg car until your start time, do not talk to your supes before your start time, and for the love of all that is holy do not leave before your start time (unless instructed to)!!!! You are being screwed because they know they can, and you leaving early is showing them that you will allow it! If they are gonna do it by the book, then you need to also. Its even better when I have to sort and load because then they dont find out I need air help until "I" load my truck after my start time. They do not pay me when I am not on the clock, so I do not work when I am not on the clock!

GolfCart

Do not enter your pkg car until your start time, on your start time count your air stops tell your center manager what you need help with. Put it in their hands, do your pretrip, dvir, leave bld, drive speed limit and put it on them. DO NOT enter pkg car until your start time, do not talk to your supes before your start time, and for the love of all that is holy do not leave before your start time (unless instructed to)!!!! You are being screwed because they know they can, and you leaving early is showing them that you will allow it! If they are gonna do it by the book, then you need to also. Its even better when I have to sort and load because then they dont find out I need air help until "I" load my truck after my start time. They do not pay me when I am not on the clock, so I do not work when I am not on the clock!

Sort and Load ..... not at my hub , you just load your truck , no more sort and load at my hub :( . I did wait until 9:10 to look at air on day , found boss at 9:12 , told him to many air , he was not happy . Why did you wait so long to tell me ? Its only like 1-2 , mins pass start time , I just got on clock :) . I just need to play the GAME , by the rules more .
9:10 Start time
Tell Boss will have late air
drive speed limit
run smart trace
air only no ground
then there is nothing he can do it me .

Thanks for info , its just gets old , same crap , different day .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When you grab your DIAD, punch in and get EDD, go to the commit screen to see how much air you have---if you have too much let the center manager know. How long could that take?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Depending upon what time he punches in and gets EDD, all of the air should be in his EDD.

If he is punching in at 910am and the air is not in EDD, there are a lot more issues in that building then just late air. Goochy do not lose your passion for delivering on time, keep telling them and do the best you can, try to minimize the amount that is late.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The COMPANY made a commitment to service all air on time and the COMPANY should be doing everything in it's power to see that it happens. YOU can't make a silk purse out of a calves ear. There are some real gems running some of these operations.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
When we went from noon to 10:30 commit times back in the early 90's our start times were between 8:10 and 8:30. Now they are 9. Taking away 30% of our air delivery time is another bright mgmnt move.