Late Freight=Jockey start times

DRAisawesome

Doesn't everyone love the start times messed with. But freight actually comes on time. No extra P1 minutes but we started you 30 minutes late.

Next Day: why did you have 7 lates?

Me: I do 14 stops and hour and we started 30 minutes late.

Manager: Microphone drops.

I do feel bad for the managers. No win.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Doesn't everyone love the start times messed with. But freight actually comes on time. No extra P1 minutes but we started you 30 minutes late.

Next Day: why did you have 7 lates?

Me: I do 14 stops and hour and we started 30 minutes late.

Manager: Microphone drops.

I do feel bad for the managers. No win.

Here's a simple solution. Show-up at your normal start time. Don't play their game. And feeling bad for the managers? Pleeez!!

Fragiledonthrow

Can u really just show up and just punch in. And not take a break when they. Cause nothing pisses me off more then getting the go on break at 8am message. friend that I like eating lunch at a normal time..

outtatime

Can u really just show up and just punch in. And not take a break when they. Cause nothing pisses me off more then getting the go on break at 8am message. friend that I like eating lunch at a normal time..
They have to give you 24 hour notice of a start time change. So if they tell you at 4pm today to come in 30 min later tomorrow, that is not a 24 hour notice. Punch in at your normal start time and tell your manager to find you something to do.

They can also not make you take a break, especially if it's been less than an hour since you punched in. If they want you to take a break while waiting for freight you do not have to, but instead find some busy work for yourself like sweep the warehouse or clean your truck. Don't let them bully you to suit them.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They have to give you 24 hour notice of a start time change. So if they tell you at 4pm today to come in 30 min later tomorrow, that is not a 24 hour notice. Punch in at your normal start time and tell your manager to find you something to do.

They can also not make you take a break, especially if it's been less than an hour since you punched in. If they want you to take a break while waiting for freight you do not have to, but instead find some busy work for yourself like sweep the warehouse or clean your truck. Don't let them bully you to suit them.

Yes. And if you want to mess with them more, a lot of state have laws mandating breaks within the first ___ hours of work. This is especially effective if you are an RTD that starts at 0330 and there is late freight. "Sorry, I can't leave the ramp because I need to take my state-mandated break".

Show-up, tell them you're ready for work, and go onto a Code 43 if they don't assign you something. It always amazes me how many people go along with having Fred steal a couple of hours of pay from them so he can make more money and have increased efficiency.

Not our problem if the plane or CTV is late...it's Fred's. Don't cheat yourself.

To flip it around, tell your manager next time you oversleep or your kid needs to go to Urgent Care that you needed to change your start time to meet your operational needs. See where that one goes.

DRAisawesome

I take break on Friday if there is late freight. Now that p's them off that I'm willing to then but not other days. Don't want late freight to cut into happy hour.

PS. If you have message or messages mandating break in first hour. Key word is mandating. If they are asking that is different. I'd say contact HR.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Except that there's no policy that mandates that. There might be a state law stating as much, but a 24 hour advanced notice isn't a FedEx policy and never will be.

That much is true. You can't be forced to take a break due to lack of work.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Is that what policy says?

"Operational Needs", Dano...that trumps everything. It isn't a carte blanche means to have employees start whenever management sees fit. I'm actually here to make money, and when I'm started late it costs me money and impacts my outside life and other money-making/family opportunities.

Sorry you support it,and probably try to enforce it as well.

dezguy

Unless management tells me my start time has been changed the minute I punch in the day before, I will be starting at my scheduled time per Provincial law. FedEx's policies do not trump law.

59 Dano

"Operational Needs", Dano...that trumps everything. It isn't a carte blanche means to have employees start whenever management sees fit. I'm actually here to make money, and when I'm started late it costs me money and impacts my outside life and other money-making/family opportunities.

Sorry you support it,and probably try to enforce it as well.

Sorry, but when you're told the day before, you have no excuse for ignoring it. As for enforcing it, a warning letter does the job well. A 2nd warning letter clears up whatever misunderstandings weren't cleared up by the 1st one.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sorry, but when you're told the day before, you have no excuse for ignoring it. As for enforcing it, a warning letter does the job well. A 2nd warning letter clears up whatever misunderstandings weren't cleared up by the 1st one.

In many states, recorders are illegal, but that doesn't stop FedEx. You can tell me whenever you want, and I'll show up at my regular time and get paid for it.

59 Dano

In many states, recorders are illegal, but that doesn't stop FedEx. You can tell me whenever you want, and I'll show up at my regular time and get paid for it.

Yes, and if I was your manager, you'd get a letter as well. And if you kept doing it, you'd keep getting letters until you got tired of playing games or you were fired. Either way, the problem would eventually be solved.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yes, and if I was your manager, you'd get a letter as well. And if you kept doing it, you'd keep getting letters until you got tired of playing games or you were fired. Either way, the problem would eventually be solved.

I guess I'd have to catch you falsifying or screwing one of the CSAs.

59 Dano

I guess I'd have to catch you falsifying or screwing one of the CSAs.

Enjoy the snipe hunt!

It's not a hard concept to grasp. Management has the ability to change start times when the need arises. Trust me, management would rather not upset the obstinate widdle sensitive diva who has to make a federal case out of EVERYTHING, but sometimes start times need to be changed. You might consider being a grown-up about it.