Late packages?

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Quick shout out to my friends of New England!

sickening lightning strike knocked out power to allegedly a small portion of Massachusetts, interestingly including the CHEMA hub (Chelmsford). No work for 4 hours 11:20-3 (still no power at time of leaving) and likely delays of up to 90,000 packages.

I had the pleasure of watching the lightning obliterate a high-tension wire and light up like a christmas tree ( red/green'/white) for 30 seconds up close on lunch break. This pulled the plug ol

afterwards, what followed was hundreds of employees, after 4 hours sitting around in the dark like zombies, restless and tired and some drooling:biting:, sent home before daybreak- a free ride!. :peaceful:

feeder53

ADKtrails
In this day of technology, I find it hard to believe that the terminal did not have a generator to keep things going. Here were I work there is a little blink in the lights and then we are on emergency power until the supplier repairs the problem and then a small blink and we are back to main power. I know it would take a large unit for all the motor loads, but we have that here.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

In this day of technology, I find it hard to believe that the terminal did not have a generator to keep things going. Here were I work there is a little blink in the lights and then we are on emergency power until the supplier repairs the problem and then a small blink and we are back to main power. I know it would take a large unit for all the motor loads, but we have that here.

There is a generator which is powerful enough to run 3 buildings. There was a power outage around 8:30pm but the belts and building ran fine on the generator then. It only lasted a few minutes.

The last building I worked in was built in the 60's. They put in back up generators after a couple power outages. By the time I left the toilets still overflow over the center manager's head.

yuhjnm

yuhjnm
todays preload started 1 1/2 hours late because of a power outage the building only had limited power (lights fans) 30 mins later we had power but had to wait for PAS to work another delay for 60 mins also the air got to the building at about 9:15

filthpig

We lose power about once a year and i don't think we have generators. The last time, the preload did not begin running until about 800 am. That was a fun day. We left the building at about 1100.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our bldg is next to a dangerous traffic intersection and an accident there in which one of the cars decided to plow down a telephone pole took us out of commission for several hours--no generator.

Big Babooba

sickening lightning strike knocked out power to allegedly a small portion of Massachusetts, interestingly including the CHEMA hub (Chelmsford). No work for 4 hours 11:20-3 (still no power at time of leaving) and likely delays of up to 90,000 packages.

I had the pleasure of watching the lightning obliterate a high-tension wire and light up like a christmas tree ( red/green'/white) for 30 seconds up close on lunch break. This pulled the plug ol

afterwards, what followed was hundreds of employees, after 4 hours sitting around in the dark like zombies, restless and tired and some drooling:biting:, sent home before daybreak- a free ride!. :peaceful:
We've been getting some wicked bad lightning in the western part of the state also. What's more incredible is the amount of rain we're getting. So far 6 1/2 inches in the last 36 hours and another 3 - 5 inches expected today.Glad it's not December. I'm just wondering how well the package cars float...blub..blub blub....blub blub blub blub....:anxious:

Generators are the equivalent of what TSG is supposed to be - resources sitting around idle until needed. But because of UPS philosophy, generators would be a waste of money because of their lack of productivity during idle time.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
There should be some type of disciplinary action taken against whoever planned the building site.

If the correct forthought was applied, they would never have constructed the building in a location where power outages were a possibility.

Then he would be brought in to give PMs every morning to discuss keeping toasters out of bathtubs, or some such...

Big Babooba

There should be some type of disciplinary action taken against whoever planned the building site.

If the correct forthought was applied, they would never have constructed the building in a location where power outages were a possibility.

Then he would be brought in to give PMs every morning to discuss keeping toasters out of bathtubs, or some such...

In 1965 the whole Northeast United States was blacked out. Maybe UPS shouldn't have built there at all. You can minimize your risks , but you cannot eliminate them.

LifeUPSer

Life without Parole
Helenof California or 1989 do either of you work in the San Francisco building? We have a center there that has the toilets overflow and it runs into the centers. They have since moved the Managers office as it was a cheaper fix.

LuvWV

Generator, thats funny. When the power goes out at our center they throw rice on the belt and you push the packages down, or you move them all by hand. about 5 to 6 thousand on the preload side. 1200 on the PM, 3 people on the pm sort..... It can be a nightmare, but no one ever just stands around.....

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Watertown got three less trailers loads today( all Chemfords ) yet with all that extra time the preload still managed to missort like crazy. Makes one wonder what they did during all that empty time.