Lay me off?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
No doubt, they'll probably offer bonuses that disappear when this is over instead of raising wages though.

That's a lot easier for huge companies than it is for small businesses, which are half the jobs in this country.
You do realize that the unemployment benefits now are also temporary.
And "small business", by all accounts has suffered for way longer than this. The quicker you realize that just 3 out of the 500+ congresspeople would actively craft laws to keep food carts and bike repair shops afloat, the better.

The mom-and-pop shops who had to close down completely will pocket the cash for now and may need it to re-open. It's always made more sense to package stimulus to the lower-income groups regardless.

Last edited:

zimbomb

makes no sense some people will be getting a lot more by being laid off than people that are forced to work
It makes perfect sense when you look at out dated, archaic state run unemployment departments. A blanket $600wk to everyone laid off or out of work is going to keep the economy rolling, rent to landlords, mortgages and car payments from default. When benefits are calculated most people currently working will not do better unemployed. On top of it all unemployment benefits are taxed as income and the unemployed still need to find their own health insurance or pay out of pocket for their current employer based one's.

Slacker45

No more than usual. I'd say any given person is about .00000001% more likely to die with coronavirus on the scene than without it. Totally worth plunging the world into a massive depression that will likely kill millions more than the virus ever would.
20% hospitalization rate across the board. So your magnitudes off about 2,000,000x

Justaloader

Boggles my mind how this country is trillions in debt, yet we can just magically come up with more to give to everyone. No wonder they call it "funny money"....

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Boggles my mind how this country is trillions in debt, yet we can just magically come up with more to give to everyone. No wonder they call it "funny money"....

Just like with most things, it is about perception and belief. As long as people continue to accept the value of a dollar, it will still have value. Encouraging household debt is one way of ensuring most people have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.

Faceplanted

My wife got temporary laid off. We just increased our income by about 500-600usd take home a month thanks to her lay off. Look at me now Mom, I made it!!!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My wife is getting paid to work from home and I'm saving $1000 a month on childcare.

Thanks China!

Is their daycare closed? If not, how are you not paying them?

My grandson's daycare closed last Monday. My son has been working from home for the past 2 weeks so it works out well. They can save the $300/week for their wedding.