Lay Offs?

I'm a senior driver on a bid route in an extended building. Unfortunately our center has been going exponentially downhill for the last three years. Every Summer we have routes cut and mine is one of those that is eliminated this year it was cut about four months earlier then last year. The stops are still there, they're just sending guys out overdispatched using intimidation on newer drivers to get it done.

I'm planning on leaving UPS later this Fall and would like to take time off to transition into bigger and better things. My question is this: When my bid route is cut for the last 90 days do I have the option of taking a layoff when it's convenient for me? Or do I have to drive whatever car the supervisor wants me to take out? I filed a grievance about unfairness with not being able to use my seniority to select routes that junior drivers are doing but it hasn't gone anywhere to my knowledge.

If you'd read my initial post in the thread you posted, I state that I have more reports then anybody in my driver group for the last ten years (not even close as I'm one of the dumba55es that sold 2/3 vacation back every year and worked it). Things have changed, I'm on a different route that is cut, my previous route was not cut at that time. I bumped that thread so others could see what ultimately happened.

Pattern of behavior.

I'm trying to go out peacefully, I'm not looking to screw anybody especially when there are part time cover drivers and others below me that are begging to drive everyday. I have no problem admitting that the new UPS is not for me, what's the big deal in asking if I have the right to accept a layoff now and then when I've got stuff planned that will help me get off the Brown Teat? Spare me the pattern of behavior b.s., do you know the answer or don't you? TIA

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm trying to go out peacefully, I'm not looking to screw anybody especially when there are part time cover drivers and others below me that are begging to drive everyday. I have no problem admitting that the new UPS is not for me, what's the big deal in asking if I have the right to accept a layoff now and then when I've got stuff planned that will help me get off the Brown Teat? Spare me the pattern of behavior b.s., do you know the answer or don't you? TIA

What you are seeing here is his "pattern of behavior". Just saying.

UPSGUY72

I'm a senior driver on a bid route in an extended building. Unfortunately our center has been going exponentially downhill for the last three years. Every Summer we have routes cut and mine is one of those that is eliminated this year it was cut about four months earlier then last year. The stops are still there, they're just sending guys out overdispatched using intimidation on newer drivers to get it done.

I'm planning on leaving UPS later this Fall and would like to take time off to transition into bigger and better things. My question is this: When my bid route is cut for the last 90 days do I have the option of taking a layoff when it's convenient for me? Or do I have to drive whatever car the supervisor wants me to take out? I filed a grievance about unfairness with not being able to use my seniority to select routes that junior drivers are doing but it hasn't gone anywhere to my knowledge.

NO. If they have to lay people off they have to start with the lowest seniority person first. They don't take volunteers your in the union.....

NO. If they have to lay people off they have to start with the lowest seniority person first. They don't take volunteers your in the union.....
I understand that part, but as I say if there are others that want to drive below me and I want to take a personal day without pay is there anything that compells me to be at work to do somebody else's bid route?

UPSGUY72

I understand that part, but as I say if there are others that want to drive below me and I want to take a personal day without pay is there anything that compells me to be at work to do somebody else's bid route?

They are called dead days if your management team says you can then you can if they say no them you could be leave sooner rather than later from UPS...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The "pattern of behavior" that I was referring to was you were fired for attendance issues and after the union fought to have that reduced to a one day suspension with the pay made up by working Saturday you are now asking how to get out of work. It's obvious you don't want to be here---why don't you save all the drama and quit?

UPSGUY72

This isn't burger king you don't get things your way..... You have to follow the rules which has proven to be difficult for you to do in the past and appears will be a problem in the near future again....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To the know-it-alls, the contract offers leave of absence. May or may not be an option.

I just find it very irritating that, in this economy where people would love to have this job, this guy first can't bother showing up to work (attendance issues) and now wants to take dead days so he can ease his way out of the company.

I just find it very irritating that, in this economy where people would love to have this job, this guy first can't bother showing up to work (attendance issues) and now wants to take dead days so he can ease his way out of the company.

If you would have bothered to read my posts about the attendance issue, you would see that it is a red herring. I was late once by a few minutes so I got a warning letter (should have been a verbal warning) and late another time by a mix-up in the start time which resulted in a suspension letter (the company is supposed to give 24 hours notice of start time change, which they didn't do). When I called in due to the schools being closed and me needing to stay with my kids I got an intend to discharge. This all happened in the space of a week. I never served a day of suspension as we didn't have enough people to cover routes during my "suspension". For the record I only agreed to the one day suspension because I knew that I really don't have a problem with attendance so it's unlikely to come back and bite me. It's all just BS paperwork for which our new supervisor is extremely fond of handing out uness you're a suck-up or a rat. Attendance is one of the few issues that the Union has hard time backing you up with. I'd just like to know what my rights are on these "dead days". Seems like coming in here and posting is more acrimony then it's worth.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

It seems like you talk out of both sides of your mouth. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

On some issues you are very selfish and self-serving, ignoring everything and everyone else without a care in the world. Then on the other hand, for ex: on this issue, you are up in someone else's business and judging them. With a strawman argument to boot. Idiosyncratic!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

You need to check your supplement/rider for any applicable language and if there isn't any then look at past practice. I can tell you that under my supplement voluntary layoffs (dead days) must be offered in seniority order. If your route has been cut for 90 days you should be able to bump any bid driver who is junior to you, but if you were the junior bid driver then you're probably stuck back in cover.

UPSGUY72

You need to check your supplement/rider for any applicable language and if there isn't any then look at past practice. I can tell you that under my supplement voluntary layoffs (dead days) must be offered in seniority order. If your route has been cut for 90 days you should be able to bump any bid driver who is junior to you, but if you were the junior bid driver then you're probably stuck back in cover.

The OP wants to do everything he can NOT TO WORK with out getting fired at least until fall. He isn't looking to work everyday...

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

If you would have bothered to read my posts about the attendance issue, you would see that it is a red herring. I was late once by a few minutes so I got a warning letter (should have been a verbal warning) and late another time by a mix-up in the start time which resulted in a suspension letter (the company is supposed to give 24 hours notice of start time change, which they didn't do). When I called in due to the schools being closed and me needing to stay with my kids I got an intend to discharge. This all happened in the space of a week. I never served a day of suspension as we didn't have enough people to cover routes during my "suspension". For the record I only agreed to the one day suspension because I knew that I really don't have a problem with attendance so it's unlikely to come back and bite me. It's all just BS paperwork for which our new supervisor is extremely fond of handing out uness you're a suck-up or a rat. Attendance is one of the few issues that the Union has hard time backing you up with. I'd just like to know what my rights are on these "dead days". Seems like coming in here and posting is more acrimony then it's worth.

Ya Ya, We heard you but your story doesn't add up there more to the story that your not sharing if your a senior driver you must have been with UPS for quiet a while yet your asking questions that a rookie would be asking (Dead Days, What happens when your route gets cut for the summer)... Any ways I would have to believe your waiting to fall to leave UPS because one of two reason the other job your lining up won't open up to then or your going stick around until a little while longer for pension or health care reasons.

You say that your route gets cut every year at this time but this years is the first year that you want to know what your rights are when your route is cut ????

Pick up your contract and read it.