Layoff, alright!

peacock

I am currently on layoff/vacation while I wait out my 5 days before I can start bumping into P.T. shifts. My Sup informs me that they need me to drive on Friday. Which means I'll be on layoff again next week, waiting for the 5 days to pass again. There are other drivers with less seniority who are on layoff as well, but have been bumping P.T. shifts already.

Question(s): Am I allowed to defer the shift to a lower seniority driver in order to put myself into a position to start bumping into the P.T. shifts?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Depends on your local but it sounds to me like your on call not laid off. Here if your laid off its for the whole week and you bump immediately.

peacock

Depends on your local but it sounds to me like your on call not laid off. Here if your laid off its for the whole week and you bump immediately.
Thanks for the knowledge there, Walter. I guess I'll have to take it upon myself to make sure they clarify such matters. Thanks again.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I don't care much for welfare, but partial unemployment is paid for by companies. It's a tax specifically for the situation. It's not a general fund welfare program. It's not an entitlement. It's not welfare. It makes a huge difference when unemployment is defined correctly. It's there for the purposes of being laid off or your job dissolves. I do agree it's infinitely better to work and earn your scratch, but when you're starting out and laid off for a month or two during your first few years, partial unemployment is a huge stress relief.

laffter

The whole idea of your "heard earned dollar" is overrated. I used to make decent money illegitimately. Now I earn a slave's wage at UPS. I don't feel good at all - I feel raped.

UPSGUY72

Some of us prefer to earn our money.

Even if he is bumping a Pt he still should file for unemployment. If my area until you reach top rate you only can bump one PT a day for 4 hour not 2 to get you 8. Also I know in Mass you can make up to 1/3 of what you collecting in unemployment and it won;t effect what you get if you make more 1/3 they take what the overage is out of you unemployment check.

undies

Interesting, I've been laid off for 2 weeks now and was forced to go drive out in another building. I assume there isn't alternate driving work available anywhere else?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
When I was a casual we had to work 36 days in a quarter to get benefits for the following quarter.

We need one punch a week to get full Pension and H/W for the week. Back in the day even when I wasn't working much I always got called in to run a wayward air pkg. Had a good center manager back then.

oldngray

nowhere special
We need one punch a week to get full Pension and H/W for the week. Back in the day even when I wasn't working much I always got called in to run a wayward air pkg. Had a good center manager back then.

You were lucky. Usually they will refuse to bring in someone for 1 day to avoid paying the H/W for that week. If its heavier and expected on Friday and they have drivers who have not worked all week, what are the odds of them getting called in to work in most other centers?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You were lucky. Usually they will refuse to bring in someone for 1 day to avoid paying the H/W for that week. If its heavier and expected on Friday and they have drivers who have not worked all week, what are the odds of them getting called in to work in most other centers?

Our on-car (since retired) would help casuals get their hours by letting them work on Saturday and heavier days. Senior drivers would take a day here and there to help as well.

Kae3106

I don't care much for welfare, but partial unemployment is paid for by companies. It's a tax specifically for the situation. It's not a general fund welfare program. It's not an entitlement. It's not welfare. It makes a huge difference when unemployment is defined correctly. It's there for the purposes of being laid off or your job dissolves. I do agree it's infinitely better to work and earn your scratch, but when you're starting out and laid off for a month or two during your first few years, partial unemployment is a huge stress relief.

The company pays many, many millions in unemployment contributions each year so the funds will be there when employees need it. If you're eligible, use it.