Layoff Question

box_beeyotch

Just for the foreseeable future, in the event us lower seniority cover drivers receive layoff days, how many days in a row must you be laid off before you can file for unemployment?

PT Car Washer

Just for the foreseeable future, in the event us lower seniority cover drivers receive layoff days, how many days in a row must you be laid off before you can file for unemployment?
I believe you have to be laid off for a week and then you can bump the two lowest seniority PTers as long as you have more company seniority. Most times you can work 2 or 3 days a week driving to get your hours.

box_beeyotch

I believe you have to be laid off for a week and then you can bump the two lowest seniority PTers as long as you have more company seniority. Most times you can work 2 or 3 days a week driving to get your hours.

I feel like it would be a lot better to collect unemployment than work both the preload and local sort.

box_beeyotch

Not sure about where you are at but if you are offered work I don't think you can turn it down. Never drew unemployment in my life so not really sure about all the rules.

I have at a previous job prior to ups, I dont know the rules if your offered work. If they only offer you one shift when laid off from driving, I wonder if you can still collect partial unemployment on top of it.

PT Car Washer

Don't know about all the other stuff but if you are laid off from driving you are entitled to your 8 hours by working two PT sorts. You may not like what you are doing or the hours but you will get your 8 hours. Which is why I say some guys will take a chance at driving 2 or 3 days a week versus working inside the hub.

box_beeyotch

Don't know about all the other stuff but if you are laid off from driving you are entitled to your 8 hours by working two PT sorts. You may not like what you are doing or the hours but you will get your 8 hours. Which is why I say some guys will take a chance at driving 2 or 3 days a week versus working inside the hub.

Yeah that's exactly what I plan to do. I haven't had but 3 layoff days since I became full time last April and know about 15 routes, willing to go out in the blind, and I know a whole loop where each driver likes one day off a week. Swallowing a few days isn't a big deal, just want to keep my funds adequate.

PT Car Washer

Yeah that's exactly what I plan to do. I haven't had but 3 layoff days since I became full time last April and know about 15 routes, willing to go out in the blind, and I know a whole loop where each driver likes one day off a week. Swallowing a few days isn't a big deal, just want to keep my funds adequate.
Good plan. A lot just depends on your seniority date. Don't worry come summer you will not be able to buy a day off. Tell all the new drivers, money in the bank is your best friend.

undies

If you're a cover driver, then you are considered part time and not guaranteed 8 hours or to work on any given day. If you're a full time utility, then a lay off allows you to either drive in another hub if it's available or to work two shifts to get your guaranteed 8 hours. Either way, you cannot collect unemployment as long as any alternate work is offered by your employer.

PT Car Washer

If you're a cover driver, then you are considered part time and not guaranteed 8 hours or to work on any given day. If you're a full time utility, then a lay off allows you to either drive in another hub if it's available or to work two shifts to get your guaranteed 8 hours. Either way, you cannot collect unemployment as long as any alternate work is offered by your employer.
All of our cover drivers are FT. We do not use PT package car drivers.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I feel like it would be a lot better to collect unemployment than work both the preload and local sort.
Love my brother in law but it's this type of stuff he does in the winter that pisses me off.

He's a heavy machinery operator. Well this time of year he's usually begging to be laid off so he can start drawing unemployment.

box_beeyotch

Love my brother in law but it's this type of stuff he does in the winter that pisses me off.

He's a heavy machinery operator. Well this time of year he's usually begging to be laid off so he can start drawing unemployment.

Why not? The only problem is at least where I'm at you max out unemployment at 400 bucks a week.

undies

All of our cover drivers are FT. We do not use PT package car drivers.
Well, here in So Cal, we call our part time drivers cover and FT non route drivers utility. I was laid off for 7 years straight as a fully time utility driver. Luckily this past year the driver hiring frenzy has bumped me up the seniority list and I'll be able to avoid having to be laid off this year!

HardknocksUPSer

Drawing unemployment isn't worth it, your not going to make nearly enough to even make it worth while, most states require you to take a job offered and if you don't take it you are required to pay back all unemployment which you previously have drawn. You also have to apply for a certain amount of jobs per week, I believe it's 1-2 jobs per week? If one calls and you don't take the offer you will not continue to draw unemployment.