"Layoff" question.

Hexahedron

Is it common for management to use the phrase "laying you off" when there's no work for the day? I called in Friday and was told I was "going to lay you off" but, I called Monday and they had me come in.

And for those of you that have experienced it, do they call you and tell you you're laid off or do they expect you to figure it out?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is it common for management to use the phrase "laying you off" when there's no work for the day? I called in Friday and was told I was "going to lay you off" but, I called Monday and they had me come in.

And for those of you that have experienced it, do they call you and tell you you're laid off or do they expect you to figure it out?

UPS is the only company that I know that uses that term for a single day.

Hexahedron

It's absolutely not confusing or disheartening AT ALL to be told "you're being laid off" when they mean "we don't have work for you today, call again tomorrow".

I'm on eggshells because I feel like I'm still a seasonal.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
It's absolutely not confusing or disheartening AT ALL to be told "you're being laid off" when they mean "we don't have work for you today, call again tomorrow".

Hold out your hand so I can hold it for you.

Others have already told you it happens this time of year. Stop whining, would you rather they call you and say you're laid off or send you home once you get there? You're not a seasonal so get over it, there's no work. When there is, they will call you.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

giphy (38).gif

Hexahedron

Eh, just sort of trying to qualify why I'm asking my question, I don't need no stuart smalley talk in front of no mirror.
Thanks anyway for the prompt responses!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Are you in the union?