Layoffs after Christmas

helenofcalifornia

I talked with another driver who said that a nearby center that sends out 40 trucks a day, after Christmas will only be sending 24!!! Economy, UPS, mandatory layoffs, I don't know. No saying on how long either. But I do know that we should all be planning for this eventuality.

FT drivers gonna be bumped off from driving onto the preload and local sort which will dislodge the hapless part timer in this case. Does anyone know if a whole shift can be replaced by fulltimers that are layed off (in a smaller center) or do they have to retain a certain percentage?

I for one, am going to use this Christmas to make sure that if layoffs ever come up to me, (God forbid!) that I will be financially and emotionally prepared. There goes the new Mac I was going to get! You should ask questions at your center or hub to find out and prepare.

rod

Retired 22 years
Around these parts UPS has always layed off at least a 3 of the workforce after New Years. They slowly (too slowly by the way) call them back in until about March when everyone is usually back to work. I use to volunteer to take the layoff for a few weeks just so I could go ice fishing and regain my sanity after peak.

outamyway

This sucks. If major bumping occurs here I do not think 3 years with the company is going to cut it.

Oh, what fun it will be to job hunt along side thousands of others.....

rod

Retired 22 years
This sucks. If major bumping occurs here I do not think 3 years with the company is going to cut it.

Oh, what fun it will be to job hunt along side thousands of others.....

collect unemployment---that is what it is there for (besides that -UPS tends to call you back sooner if you are collecting it)

NedFlanders

yea, unfortunately my center has said that is not a matter of if, but a matter of how many drivers that will be laid off after peak.

how would one go about collecting unemployment? how much is it? thanks

drewed

Shankman
go to the unemployment office, and i believe its state to state in AK its something like 40 percent and you can have a pt job but can not exceed 60% of what earn

helenofcalifornia

My point is that I believe this year UPS will be having MAJOR layoffs, not just the last six drivers of your FT roster or so. We have never had more than 6 drivers layed (?) off in our center since I have been there. Last year was about six out of 50 drivers or 12% with this new policy of mandatory layoffs. Used to be if you wanted time off they would factor that in the layoffs and there wouldn't be any "layoffs" so to speak. Now our sister center is thinking of laying off 16 out of 40??? That's going to be 40%!!!

I am just saying to y'all now, prepare for the new year now. Find out what your feeder department is going to doing because that is what impacts us all.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Honestly, it is all hype right now. Worse case scenario - bottom 15% of drivers are affected. How many times have we all thought January was going to be easy and then pretty much get slammed all month with internet sales from gift cards.
I personally believe MORE people will be online to buy gifts before and after. More people will get gift cards instead of someone buying a useless item. Which would mean a busier January. Less people will be driving to the mall. DHL ground out of business. I think we will be ok.

MAYBE I'M JUST OPTIMISTIC (+ I'm halfway up the seniority list)

McLeod

Take the unemployment check!! UPS pays into the unemployment insurance program. They hate it when you draw it and will make comments about it to you, and will encourage you to work split shifts! Also Obama is talking eliminating paying tax on unemployment benny's.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Take the unemployment check!! UPS pays into the unemployment insurance program. They hate it when you draw it and will make comments about it to you, and will encourage you to work split shifts! Also Obama is talking eliminating paying tax on unemployment benny's.

This is all part of his "spread the wealth" plan and you will end up paying this tax and then some.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Honestly, it is all hype right now. Worse case scenario - bottom 15% of drivers are affected. How many times have we all thought January was going to be easy and then pretty much get slammed all month with internet sales from gift cards.
I personally believe MORE people will be online to buy gifts before and after. More people will get gift cards instead of someone buying a useless item. Which would mean a busier January. Less people will be driving to the mall. DHL ground out of business. I think we will be ok.

MAYBE I'M JUST OPTIMISTIC (+ I'm halfway up the seniority list)

Heff, I share your optimism and dismiss the doom and gloom of this thread. Internet shopping and gift card redemptions will go up dramatically. We will be just fine.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
NOBAMAH SPREAD THE WEALTH!!!!! THAT WORKED OUT GREAT IN THE USSR DIDN'T IT i AGREE WITH HEFF AND UPSTATE WE HAVE BEEN HERE BEFORE

NedFlanders

I have a question about the layoffs. I have been a ft cover driver for 1 year. I know it takes somewhere around 24 months to reach top pay. If i get laid off and later re-hired as a driver does my pay progression start over? that doesnt seem fair if true.

i mean a driver could be one week away from top pay an be laid off, then rehired and have to start over?

any idea how this works?

705red

Browncafe Steward
We are up alot of drivers drivers right now and have not even started training seasonal yet. Rumors are flying right now that we could see lay offs in the next week or so. I believe the only reason we have not seen any yet is our new contract is in effect and we keep our current wage for lay offs. Ups does not want to pay us almost $29 an hour to unload/load trailers while they can pay someone $9 to do it.

I have suggested that they put up rlo sign ups sheets for anyone that is interested in taking an extra week unpaid. Feeder already has these sign up sheets up.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that the economy turns around and quick, if it doesnt my family will even cut back on gifts from santa this year for the kids, and of course i can actually give the wife a lump of coal in her stocking.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The people that would take the unpaid week off are the same people that work 3-4 days a week as is. No one in their right mind is going to take an unpaid week off with the economy (at this current state).
I like my days off like anyone else, If they paid half-rate for a week off I might jump, but not 0. I'll see pigs fly before that happens.

P.S. I wasn't refering to you women on the Jetblue flight earlier in the week. Other pigs !