Layoffs after Christmas

brownrodster

Four, maybe five layoffs announced today at our building. They won't drive again until December 1 at the earliest. Going to use 7 less drivers for Christmas this year. I once thought I had enough seniority to avoid layoffs; I am beginning to wonder.

How large is your center / hub ???

My outlying medium sized center with a huge service area has been doing well so far with the only layoffs being the bottom couple drivers on occassion (they call in daily to see if they work)... Rumor is we will have some layoffs after christmas though.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Why isnt ups going after fedex's corporate customers??

I can't believe FDX even has corporate shippers. Most of the big volume shippers ship with us, I can't see why we can't concentrate on the few that they have and maybe not lowball the price but maybe match it??

A good example is a optical company on my route that used DHL. On wednesday I picked up 12 pkgs. FDX picked up 85-90 pcs. I filled out a sales lead form and I'll report just how they deal with this situation.

cylvrbond

Not as yet. I have actually driven after working in the unload on several occasions. I just think it is unfair to use hub workers to deliver packages. It takes them much longer so in the long run it's not saving the company money. It just looks good on the books for the division manager since he's using less drivers.

I heard from a p/t sup that he read in a newspaper UPS going to layoff 30% of employees on Jan09

30%!? That is close to 128,000 employee layoffs worldwide. Times are bad, but not that bad. I have heard of some air operations being downsized or closed due to lack of volume. You should tell the pt sup to check his facts

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I find it funny everyone throwing out numbers when even UPS doesn't know how the economy will react after the holidays. When a PART TIME supervisor is going to quote you a number like that, ask to see the toilet tissue it was written on.

UPS had a difficult time predicting December's peak day and thats all it is - a prediction. Yes, there will be layoffs. Think how your center was setup during the summertime. Thats how many routes will be used.

I work in a small center of about 45-50 routes....We have 57 drivers...Monday they are planning 44 routes...There will be at least 10 layoffs tomorrow.

browndevil

Are the golf carts licensed to be on the road? That's how we stopped that here.
My understanding is they will be used in apartment complexes, where a driver can unload a building or two at a time and send them off. My question is how will the packages be secure in a golf cart? If we will fire a driver for not closing the bulkhead door between stops these will be exposed packages.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My understanding is they will be used in apartment complexes, where a driver can unload a building or two at a time and send them off. My question is how will the packages be secure in a golf cart? If we will fire a driver for not closing the bulkhead door between stops these will be exposed packages.

My understanding is that if the golf cart has a bulkhead door, it must be closed.

What'dyabringmetoday???

In my neck of the woods, we use four-wheelers and snowmobiles instead of golf carts. Those side-by-side buggies will probably replace the four-wheeler. Some areas require snow shoes in the winter or NI1. We also use four-wheelers to carry the golf clubs around the course. That does not always go over so well. Whoops, it is so easy to get off topic.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I was asked to come back this year as a seasonal feeder and had to turn it down this year and they asked me if I would be back next year and I told them yes. I do not know what the load is here in Albany this year...I hope for the full timers that they all have work.

pkg handler

ok so we finally heard some rumblings of layoffs in our building it seems. Today I over heard something about new hires and people with less then 1 year i believe will be getting laid off come next year sometime. I'm not sure how that goes with management and when layoffs will come there but where do you suppose it starts ?

- upper management ( cut the fat )
- lower management ( p/t , friend/t sups)
- drivers
- part time employees

..??