Layoffs after peak...

PTSUP0438

I have been hearing a nasty rumor that 20% of the workforce was going to get laid off including part-time sups and drivers, etc, etc... Anyone else hear of this? Any merit to any of the layoff rumor madness?? :anxious:

ih8tbrn

Banned
For 3 years I've been hearing about layoffs after peak, layoffs during the summer, etc. But it never pans out here. Our volume stays very consistent year round. And with drivers with up to 7 weeks of vacation a year, there is always work to be had. I would say we are short handed at least half the time all year round.

diesel96

I have been hearing a nasty rumor that 20% of the workforce was going to get laid off including part-time sups and drivers, etc, etc... Anyone else hear of this? Any merit to any of the layoff rumor madness?? :anxious:

And your sources are???......drinking buddies at the corner store where we buy the tall boy singles with the brown paper bags to go...:wink2:

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Anybody that believes there will not be significant layoffs after the 1st (above normal) is sadly delusional.

Wishful thinking is good. Delusions are bad.

NOBODY knows how many, what percentage. UPS doesn't know if they need how many helpers today, let alone what is happening 1/1/09.

But my GUESS is anyone with less than a year in. I'm planning on being laid off. I also plan on bumping everyone possible to stay there.

ih8tbrn

Banned
I believe UPS is going to use the economy as an excuse to lay people off whether it is justified or not. We're already seeing it here, they are annihilating the drivers here running them 11-12 hour days while they have drivers split shifting or laid off.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
I believe UPS is going to use the economy as an excuse to lay people off whether it is justified or not. We're already seeing it here, they are annihilating the drivers here running them 11-12 hour days while they have drivers split shifting or laid off.

I'm not busting on you in any way - but there is no question - the economy is in the toilet - and it will get worse yet in the coming year

rod

Retired 22 years
Actually UPS has never needed an excuse to lay people off after Christmas. They do it every year and it is always carried to the extreams. Those that are still working will be getting in 10-11 hours a day. It's just UPS's way of saying %$#@ you very much for the great job you all did during peak.:peaceful:

ih8tbrn

Banned
I agree with you BBAG, but my point is they are going to use it as an excuse to screw the drivers just a little bit harder than normal. If they can justify laying off 2 people, then they will surely lay off 1 or 2 more for good measure.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
First off it will start with as many firings as possible. So you better make sure you're doing everything right. It's much cheaper to fire and hold a guy out for a few months till he gets his job back time served at the panel. No unemployment benefits to pay that way.

Secondly that's the time for zero tolerance for supervisors and part timers working outside their classifications.

US0352

Feeder
We have already been feeling the pinch. It's supposed to be peak and yet I am sitting at home because of no work. Also, Google news reported that UPS said they will be laying off at least 7500 this year.

worldwide

"Also, Google news reported that UPS said they will be laying off at least 7500 this year."

Can you post the link to this news?

redshift1

Make no mistake the economy is in serious trouble, without sufficient volume, UPS cannot maintain the current level of staffing. Both hourly and management employees will be reduced through attrition and layoffs. The people who are criticizing these layoffs need to look at the Auto Industry. First, all the cover drivers go back, any retiring drivers will not be replaced and least senior drivers laid off, this is not so much about saving money but about UPS staying viable as a company.

well.. im afraid, rumor has it we will collapse our day shift.....=no twillight.....night=senority....screwed....doubles for peak=5years+.....hoping its all rumor... but even w/ 115k i didnt do to much[sorter....scary] there is slack to cut.,,,...hope it isnt me

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I've been getting 48-50 hours the past 2 weeks.

Peak numbers here in the northeast have been variable but not exactly skimpy. Tomorrow was projected like 230k on the twilight I believe.

On another note, vicious ice storm ends the midnight shift in the hub an hour ago....power went out in the middle of the later arriving TOFC California loads. There will defintily be outbounds missing service if your package must pass through the CHEMA bohemeth!