Lazy Coworkers and the upcoming peak season

I'm a marine corps vet and now work in the hub. I have a great work ethic and so does my friend who works with me. Guess who doesn't? 80% of the rest of my coworkers on the sort. Some will just stand there and let the belt get stacked and jam the unloaders belt until either our sup comes over there or he sends me or my friend over to basically do their work for them. When I go help them theyd rather watch me do it than do it themselves and they end up walking off doing only god knows what. I don't even understand how this even goes the way it goes and I can forsee me cussing these people when peak season comes around and I'm irritable.

Is there anyone I can talk to about these so called coworkers?

Not your job to discipline coworkers. I doubt if it 80% but 1 or 2 bad workers can have a contagious effect. The hub I work at the sups will pick an hourly to just stand there and watch while the sup does the work. Call it training. Training a 25 year seniority employee in dumping tote boxes of smalls into the hopper. I call it poor leadership.

Not your job to discipline coworkers. I doubt if it 80% but 1 or 2 bad workers can have a contagious effect. The hub I work at the sups will pick an hourly to just stand there and watch while the sup does the work. Call it training. Training a 25 year seniority employee in dumping tote boxes of smalls into the hopper. I call it poor leadership.

I understand about older people stuck in their ways, but someone who has been there for a year or two shouldnt think they get the same treatment as someone who has been there 15+ ya know?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I'm a marine corps vet and now work in the hub. I have a great work ethic and so does my friend who works with me. Guess who doesn't? 80% of the rest of my coworkers on the sort. Some will just stand there and let the belt get stacked and jam the unloaders belt until either our sup comes over there or he sends me or my friend over to basically do their work for them. When I go help them theyd rather watch me do it than do it themselves and they end up walking off doing only god knows what. I don't even understand how this even goes the way it goes and I can forsee me cussing these people when peak season comes around and I'm irritable.

The Few.... The Proud....

You were part of an elite group.

80% of your co-workers weren't.

Relax there Marine. :wink2:

-Bug-

Where does older people stuck in their ways come in? My point was it is lazy leadership when the sup has to do the actual work because he can not motivate his subordinates.

J

jibbs

I mean... yeah, a supe, but it probably won't get you anywhere. My solution in these situations? Work as directed, man, but they can't tell you what a safe speed is for you to work at. Especially if you're now being expected to perform more work than just a typical employees' daily responsibilities.

Basically, go "help them out" by moving slower than they are. When you end up back at your normal spot, crank it out full speed. Rinse and repeat. You'll end up getting a bunch of sweet breaks while they'll end up with a supe or 7 up their asses soon enough.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I also call it a grievance!

Where does older people stuck in their ways come in? My point was it is lazy leadership when the sup has to do the actual work because he can not motivate his subordinates.

Well there are quote a few older gentlemen who always stay in the same spot on the sort belt (everyone is supposed to rotate one spot to the left everyday so we all do the slide at some point in the week). They are usually the ones the sups have to keep repeating "hold smalls" to. To them, whatever, their time is coming sooner than later. The problem I have is with these young 23 or 24 year olds who think theyve been there just as long and hide behind the union. If there was someway the union could see these people I dont think theyd be to excited to help them.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I mean... yeah, a supe, but it probably won't get you anywhere. My solution in these situations? Work as directed, man, but they can't tell you what a safe speed is for you to work at. Especially if you're now being expected to perform more work than just a typical employees' daily responsibilities.

Basically, go "help them out" by moving slower than they are. When you end up back at your normal spot, crank it out full speed. Rinse and repeat. You'll end up getting a bunch of sweet breaks while they'll end up with a supe or 7 up their asses soon enough.
I don't mind helping someone who is just randomly getting slammed or having a rough day. But if you're backed up to high volume every damn day....you are not moving fast enough and should not need my help. So when my sup asks me to go help the Turtle....I go over, stack six boxes for him and go back to my trucks...lol. As Jibbs said, rinse and repeat.

Don't get me wrong guys, I dont mind helping out other coworkers. I see everything as a team effort. It's just that when someone is blatantly being slow and just staring off into space or talking about lil homie g last night at the crib it gets under my skin

Edit: Not to mention, I was approached by an older gentleman telling me I can either be "one of them or one of us"

Z

ZQXC

Don't get me wrong guys, I dont mind helping out other coworkers. I see everything as a team effort. It's just that when someone is blatantly being slow and just staring off into space or talking about lil homie g last night at the crib it gets under my skin

Edit: Not to mention, I was approached by an older gentleman telling me I can either be "one of them or one of us"

How old was this older gentleman?

Thanks for your service. Are you a Troll?

Very experienced. Discipline and motivation is leaderships responsibility. If your supervisor and manager can not do their jobs what do you think you can do about it?