Leave of Absence

AwashBwashCwash

I'm flipping through the contract book and it says I can take a leave of absence for up to 90 days provided I give a written request to both the union and the UPS and they both agree. I'm planning on doing an internship this summer and would need to move to do it.

A)What are the chances they will let me take a leave
and
B) Does an internship count as "gainful employment" in their eyes?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I'm flipping through the contract book and it says I can take a leave of absence for up to 90 days provided I give a written request to both the union and the UPS and they both agree. I'm planning on doing an internship this summer and would need to move to do it.

A)What are the chances they will let me take a leave
and
B) Does an internship count as "gainful employment" in their eyes?

Don't you have to pay for your own pension/health insurance costs out of pocket for that to work?

AwashBwashCwash

I have no idea.
I originally thought this was not even an option (thought FMLA was the only way to take leave) but I just got my contract book this week in the mail and was flipping through it and saw the section on leave of absence.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I have no idea.
I originally thought this was not even an option (thought FMLA was the only way to take leave) but I just got my contract book this week in the mail and was flipping through it and saw the section on leave of absence.

For local 710 anyway, It only talks about full timers getting a LOA. But it looks like gainful employment would only cost you your seniority.

Mr. Marshall

People in my building have done it for the same reason. They were good employees though. Bring it up in January and it will be so far away they will say yes and then of course be pissed when the time comes.