Leaving UPS, how to do it?

bigbrown1UPS

I'm a seasonal driver, been on my own for a week now. Today, Monday, I got a call that I've been hired for a full time law enforcement job. I have to go in on Friday to fill out paperwork then I start on November 29th.

I'd like to continue working for UPS until I start my new job and I'd like to do it the most ethical way possible but I have a feeling that won't work. I think if I tell my supervisor tomorrow when I come in that I will be leaving they will fire me right there.

What's the best way to go about this so I can continue working at UPS up until Thanksgiving? Remember that I'll need to have off on Friday but I'd like to work the following week.

I think the best possible scenario is to work this week, then on Thursday evening break the news and offer to work the next week.

klein

Für Meno :)
Personally, I wouldn't give them a notice at all.
They suspend and fire drivers, for every little infraction, even though you need to wonder who will fill in.
If they can do that, then employees can do the same !

You won't be back anyways. So who cares ?

What comes around, goes around !

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm a seasonal driver, been on my own for a week now. Today, Monday, I got a call that I've been hired for a full time law enforcement job. I have to go in on Friday to fill out paperwork then I start on November 29th.

I'd like to continue working for UPS until I start my new job and I'd like to do it the most ethical way possible but I have a feeling that won't work. I think if I tell my supervisor tomorrow when I come in that I will be leaving they will fire me right there.

What's the best way to go about this so I can continue working at UPS up until Thanksgiving? Remember that I'll need to have off on Friday but I'd like to work the following week.

I think the best possible scenario is to work this week, then on Thursday evening break the news and offer to work the next week.

The most ethical thing is to tell the company now. The answer I can think of.

cosmictrucker

counting the months
Notify them Only After you're 100% sure the new job is yours.

Many people leave for whatever reason that comes up in their lives. Others are fired for some of the dumbest things imaginable like drinking on the job. The point is no one remembers them a week later. You need to be someone of legend with the company. So, on your last day set the package car on fire.

fethrs

Apparantly you don't, but the op does. If you are going to give advice Klein, don't let you experience sour your judgement and advice to others. We all have different situations.

klein

Apparantly you don't, but the op does. If you are going to give advice Klein, don't let you experience sour your judgement and advice to others. We all have different situations.

He just needs to seach back, on that topic.. how UPS screwed them , even when given notice. I.E. last paycheck being 2 months late, including vacation pay.
Thats the thanks you get !

I waited 7 weeks on the exact date for my last paycheck, too !

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
They suspend and fire drivers, for every little infraction, even though you need to wonder who will fill in.

You got fired for drinking beer on the clock and you are giving advice to someone who is trying to do the right thing? To the original poster, I would think that honesty would be the right thing to do. I would just tell my supervisor that I needed that Friday off and offer to work as much as I could. You have a chance at a permanant job that is more important than your present seasonal job. I'm surprised about you being a seasonal driver, we haven't had any of those around here for a long time. I wish you the best on your new career.

bbsam

Staff member
Many people leave for whatever reason that comes up in their lives. Others are fired for some of the dumbest things imaginable like drinking on the job. The point is no one remembers them a week later. You need to be someone of legend with the company. So, on your last day set the package car on fire.
That's funny! Uh...it was meant to be funny, wasn't it?

klein

You got fired for drinking beer on the clock and you are giving advice to someone who is trying to do the right thing? To the original poster, I would think that honesty would be the right thing to do. I would just tell my supervisor that I needed that Friday off and offer to work as much as I could. You have a chance at a permanant job that is more important than your present seasonal job. I'm surprised about you being a seasonal driver, we haven't had any of those around here for a long time. I wish you the best on your new career.

No matter if he gives notice, look back on the people that have done it in the past, (here on the forums) - The big thank-you is they will withhold your last check for atleast a month or more !

kmjs14

Give proper notice (in most cases it's 2 weeks) as this remains on your record. You want to leave the company in good standing. How UPS/ your supervisor reacts is out of your hands, but you should do the right thing.

bigbrown1UPS

Yikes! holding last paycheck for 8 weeks! I'm still waiting on my expense check for traveling to training! My plan is to wait until Thursday evening to go to the HR office and tell them I was offered a full time job and will need off the next day. I will offer to work the next week but I have a strong feeling they won't need me. This way I will still get to work this week and I'll put the ball in their court as far as letting me work the next week if they don't have someone to cover.

BTW, I was a part time/seasonal police officer before UPS, still work on the weekends... and this job has been as stressful if not more stressful than police work! Maybe once I got more used to my route it would be easier and I did see it getting easier, but I could see a lot of people hired right off the street like me quitting within a few days.

Yikes! holding last paycheck for 8 weeks! I'm still waiting on my expense check for traveling to training! My plan is to wait until Thursday evening to go to the HR office and tell them I was offered a full time job and will need off the next day. I will offer to work the next week but I have a strong feeling they won't need me. This way I will still get to work this week and I'll put the ball in their court as far as letting me work the next week if they don't have someone to cover.

BTW, I was a part time/seasonal police officer before UPS, still work on the weekends... and this job has been as stressful if not more stressful than police work! Maybe once I got more used to my route it would be easier and I did see it getting easier, but I could see a lot of people hired right off the street like me quitting within a few days.

Make sure to swing by the center when you`re an officer to do random safety stops on your former management team.

rod

Retired 22 years
Someone must have been turning in their resignation at this UPS building in Minnesota over the week end.

brainerddispatch.com

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It would be ideal if you could delay starting your new job until after Peak. However, as this does not seem to be the case, I would be upfront and honest with them. They are going to be pissed, especially since they just spent all of that money putting you through driver school, and may not call you back at all.

Good luck in your new career.

klein

Or just get caught driving out of the hub with no seatbelt on..... Either you get fired or a suspension, either way, you just tell them enough is enough and don`t go back LOL

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

He just needs to seach back, on that topic.. how UPS screwed them , even when given notice. I.E. last paycheck being 2 months late, including vacation pay.
Thats the thanks you get !

I waited 7 weeks on the exact date for my last paycheck, too !

No matter if he gives notice, look back on the people that have done it in the past, (here on the forums) - The big thank-you is they will withhold your last check for atleast a month or more !

Or just get caught driving out of the hub with no seatbelt on..... Either you get fired or a suspension, either way, you just tell them enough is enough and don`t go back LOL

The above statements are why YOU are in the predicament YOU are in, Mr. Kleinada. Will you ever learn from your mistakes?

Give proper notice (in most cases it's 2 weeks) as this remains on your record. You want to leave the company in good standing. How UPS/ your supervisor reacts is out of your hands, but you should do the right thing.
+1 and let the chips fall where they will. Who's to say that they won't keep you onboard till your notice is up? Keep us informed, I'd like to see how this all works out for you.