Left work before I was told I could

Andrew90

I had a very easy day and finished my route as I always do. Had a few misloads i ran, but my wife was in the hospital earlier that day so I was trying to get off asap to take care of her.

My center manager said I had to run other drivers misloads before I could go home. However I clocked out and left without her permission. And she said "We'll deal with it in the morning" Can UPS actually do anything?

I had a very easy day and finished my route as I always do. Had a few misloads i ran, but my wife was in the hospital earlier that day so I was trying to get off asap to take care of her.

My center manager said I had to run other drivers misloads before I could go home. However I clocked out and left without her permission. And she said "We'll deal with it in the morning" Can UPS actually do anything?
Bub bye

542thruNthru

No, of course you can just leave when ever you want. Your Center Manager is just a person that works for UPS. Its not like she is your boss or anything.

tenor-15.gif

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.

Were you already at the building after completing 8 hours of work when they asked you to do this?

Tell UPS that you took yourself out of service for safety reasons. Or that you had a family emergency. This is the new UPS. A center manage ain't :censored2:.

clean hairy

They could be real butt holes and try to discipline for failure to work as directed, or for job abandoment.
Though, given the circumstances, might not be an issue.

ManInBrown

You’ll be fine. I’ve seen drivers do way worse. There was a driver years ago, who brought the truck back at 11am during peak. Parked it inside. Walked out to his car and went home. Never said a word to anyone. Came in the next day and got walked off. Was out of work for 5 months. Got his job back.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
If your wife is in the hospital may I suggest filling for FMLA?

Hear me out before you laugh too hard. When you call HR to apply you are automatically granted FMLA while they await the paperwork. If they deny so be it. at least you have started a paper trail your BA can use in your defense if your center manager becomes too unreasonable.

Maplewood

If anyone lower in seniority is also finished and isnt being pimped out for more work then they can do the :censored2: misloads.

Waldo

We actually had a pt worker in the preload get fired for this. He was leaving work early without anyone knowing about it. Once it was found out they said it was considered job abandonment and was immediate termination. Hope your case is different due to your circumstance.

Days

You’ll be fine. I’ve seen drivers do way worse. There was a driver years ago, who brought the truck back at 11am during peak. Parked it inside. Walked out to his car and went home. Never said a word to anyone. Came in the next day and got walked off. Was out of work for 5 months. Got his job back.

Was that 5 months of back pay as well?

JL 0513

The problem here is not clocking out early, it's that the OP left after instructions from the center manager to run misloads.

Not sure what he was thinking but that's stupid. Actually worse than a no call, no show. OP would have been better off just not coming in at all.

RolloTony Brown Town

Agreed.

Knew a driver who hit someone’s car in their driveway. Tried to bribe the guy by giving him $500 to not report the accident saying he’d “take care of it.”

They ultimately called it in. He was fired for 8 months and got his job back.