Legal to Ask My Age?

MassWineGuy

I'm starting the process to become a seasonal driver. When we were talking by phone the HR person at the UPS building I'd be out of asked me for my birth date. I realize there may be many good reasons for this, but afterward I thought she was really getting at my age. Was this a proper and/or legal question for her to ask?

I'm starting the process to become a seasonal driver. When we were talking by phone the HR person at the UPS building I'd be out of asked me for my birth date. I realize there may be many good reasons for this, but afterward I thought she was really getting at my age. Was this a proper and/or legal question for her to ask?

Ive been at UPS for many many years. I did have to fill out an I9 form a few years back.(to prove I wasnt an illegal immigrant) So I guess they can pretty much ask you what they want, if you want to work at Brown! As a matter of fact, when I started. I was finger printed , photographed, and had to give a writing sample!

Nolimitz

I would think on a "ph interview" they can ask if you are over 21 for insurance reasons. On an official paper application Im sure they require DOB. Age is a protected "class" according to EEOC. I believe the starting point for the class is 40 years old. not sure on that. In previous HR classes at a different job we were told to never ask a persons age.

MassWineGuy

Hmm. Yes, she must have been interested in me. I'm in my 50s so it's apparent speaking to me that I'm not under 18. Also, she's met me before at other job meetings.

Re-Raise

So are you saying that if they opt to hire someone younger, they are discriminating against you because of your age?

Re-Raise

I was asked for my date of birth at the pharmacy, the front desk at the doctor's office, and the checkout at Walmart because I had a case of beer. That was just the times I remember from yesterday. I am also near 50 years old.

They will probably learn your age at some point during the hiring process.

If that question bothers you, you might be too sensitive for a driving job at UPS.

MassWineGuy

If that question bothers you, you might be too sensitive for a driving job at UPS.

Hey man! I am NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT too sensitive. OK? Just because I requested a beanbag-lined driver's seat, mini fridge and calming music through the truck's built-in stereo system (also requested) does NOT mean that I'm overly sensitive. Glad we nipped that one in the bud.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hey man! I am NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT too sensitive. OK? Just because I requested a beanbag-lined driver's seat, mini fridge and calming music through the truck's built-in stereo system (also requested) does NOT mean that I'm overly sensitive. Glad we nipped that one in the bud.
don't forget the heated floors...padded shelves and wall to wall carpeting.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Ive been at UPS for many many years. I did have to fill out an I9 form a few years back.(to prove I wasnt an illegal immigrant) So I guess they can pretty much ask you what they want, if you want to work at Brown! As a matter of fact, when I started. I was finger printed , photographed, and had to give a writing sample!
I believe the I9 forms are standard at brown...I vaguely remember filling one out at some point. For your writing sample...did you use crayons or fingerpaints?? Lmao

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Did you write in the snow?