Lets discuss the future of this company

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Hello, old man Grandpa 728 here shouting at clouds and thinking of the future of UPS. I am worried and here are a few reasons why

A) present day part timers start right at minimum wage now and have ZERO incentive to do any more than the bare minimum. Minimum Wage dosent buy you a great employee and let us not forget these guys are the "future" of the company. many WILL eventually be drivers

B) Many of the newer drivers simply dont have the work ethic us old folks have. I'm certain bank when i started in the early 80's the senior drivers then were aghast at the crop of kids being hired but we did the job and maintained high levels of service doing it.
The younger drivers at my building laugh over missed business pieces,late air etc. The rot ios setting in

C) In the old days being promoted to Management was a hell of an achievement. One had to be very intelligent and have a terrific grasp of the drivers job to succeed.

Todays supervisors are those who A) cant do the driving job B) have delusions of grandeur C)inexperienced people who shouldn't be managing a Mcdonalds but due to NOONE wanting to be the center manager's whipping boy they take what they can get.
Pay lower than those they manage,insanely long hours, paying for Healthcare while getting no pension and having zero job security kinda narrows the field

D) Customer service is GONE! Instead management worries over ORION compliance,and a million other reports that have zero to due with service

E) Taking the ability for Center Level management to make decisions results in stupid costly mistakes

I'm certain many can add much more to the list,but I'm seriously worried where we will be in 20 years

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
A) present day part timers start right at minimum wage now and have ZERO incentive to do any more than the bare minimum. Minimum Wage dosent buy you a great employee and let us not forget these guys are the "future" of the company. many WILL eventually be drivers
We have a few drivers who at 34 dollars an hour won't do anything above the bare minimum. The problem is character, not pay.
B) Many of the newer drivers simply dont have the work ethic us old folks have. I'm certain bank when i started in the early 80's the senior drivers then were aghast at the crop of kids being hired but we did the job and maintained high levels of service doing it.
The younger drivers at my building laugh over missed business pieces,late air etc. The rot ios setting in
They won't laugh when they are terminated for service failure after service failure.

I disagree with the work ethic bit. Guys today are doing far more stops a day now than 20 years ago.
C) In the old days being promoted to Management was a hell of an achievement. One had to be very intelligent and have a terrific grasp of the drivers job to succeed.

Todays supervisors are those who A) cant do the driving job B) have delusions of grandeur C)inexperienced people who shouldn't be managing a Mcdonalds but due to NOONE wanting to be the center manager's whipping boy they take what they can get.
Pay lower than those they manage,insanely long hours, paying for Healthcare while getting no pension and having zero job security kinda narrows the field
Pay lower for the first few years yes.

Insanely long hours, nobody here works a short day on the FT level.

Paying for healthcare is the reality of America today. If you don't think union employees will someday pay for healthcare too, you're delusional.

No pension. There are so many active threads on people worrying about not getting their pension. The pension system is dying. I'll take my 401K match and control how my money is being invested.
D) Customer service is GONE! Instead management worries over ORION compliance,and a million other reports that have zero to due with service
It's not gone. We just don't have the ability to sit and chat with every customer like 20 years ago.
E) Taking the ability for Center Level management to make decisions results in stupid costly mistakes
This is stupid, I will 100% agree with you. What works some places doesn't work everywhere.

rod

Retired 22 years
And what's being delivered at those stops is often a hell of a lot bigger and heavier than what was allowed during the "good old days."

What are you saying?----that I didn't have it rough back when I started in 71 and the maximum weight limit was 50 lbs.------------------and you could only ship 2 of those to one address per day. And we had to suffer carrying 108 inch length + girth packages. And we had to do all that while not wearing a seatbelt because none of the trucks had seatbelts. Oh the horror of it all.

35years

Gravy route
We have a few drivers who at 34 dollars an hour won't do anything above the bare minimum. The problem is character, not pay.

They won't laugh when they are terminated for service failure after service failure.
Oh,
The kinder, gentler manager is starting to harden a bit.
I see a future Tie Guy in the making.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
you have to see the writing on the wall.

times "are a " changing faster than ever. 20 years from now UPS will be the dinosaur. ( package division )

I see UPS evolving into something totally different by 2030.

The Milkman

What are you saying?----that I didn't have it rough back when I started in 71 and the maximum weight limit was 50 lbs.------------------and you could only ship 2 of those to one address per day. And we had to suffer carrying 108 inch length + girth packages. And we had to do all that while not wearing a seatbelt because none of the trucks had seatbelts. Oh the horror of it all.

Don't forget no nice Hand trucks when at times you needed them, oh also Blue label pkgs..lol

This topic is sadly true.

The future of this company is digging it's own grave due to the lack of -

A) people who are aiming for top rate driving pay and do not care for customer service , complain about working Long hours showing 0 work ethic

B) management who only cares about ORION, and their numbers, not driver safety etc.

BrownTexas

I agree as well. When you are solely trying to make investors happy and are no longer worried about the people that keep this company running there has to be an issue. I can't even honestly tell people we are the best. We are constantly being told to run our are in trace, drivers call supervisors about misloads to avoid them showing up on a report so they can then falsify documents so they won't have to run then, and the blatant dishonesty from management. We were even told by the Orion team that the little customers that won't be getting their packages in the morning will get mad, and they might not ship with us anymore, but Orion will save the company enough to not worry about them. The crack the sinking ship.

Faceplanted

I agree as well. When you are solely trying to make investors happy and are no longer worried about the people that keep this company running there has to be an issue. I can't even honestly tell people we are the best. We are constantly being told to run our are in trace, drivers call supervisors about misloads to avoid them showing up on a report so they can then falsify documents so they won't have to run then, and the blatant dishonesty from management. We were even told by the Orion team that the little customers that won't be getting their packages in the morning will get mad, and they might not ship with us anymore, but Orion will save the company enough to not worry about them. The crack the sinking ship.
It's funny you say that, years ago I picked up a company daily, they shipped about 20/30 packages. Decent/smaller sized customer. In 5-7 years they now load a whole feeder. Is it a good idea to alienate these customers who in this day if huge and fast growth can blow up in a few years time?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Fridge I do the same amount of stops. As I did 20 yrs ago. Same area. Covered it for 10 yrs. On and off.

Otherwise. It's about production period. If you don't take care of yourself. They will ride you till you reach your limit. Then you need to follow it for ever. Management is paid by your over /under. Your numbers are really theirs. You get paid by the hr. Good or bad. That depends on how you look at it. I just see$$$

Hello, old man Grandpa 728 here shouting at clouds and thinking of the future of UPS. I am worried and here are a few reasons why

I'm certain many can add much more to the list,but I'm seriously worried where we will be in 20 years
Hopefwe 20 years from now ,you and me won't be slinging boxes.

Dr.Brownz

I disagree with the work ethic bit. Guys today are doing far more stops a day now than 20 years

You guys keep piling on more work yet your suprised when people develop bad attitudes

oldngray

nowhere special
Boy I sure screwed that one up.
1416989-18.jpg