Lets kill this conspiracy theory

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
Ok took one of these silly things apart last night. At the end of the screwdriver tip is the sensor everyone is claiming is a camera. Note it is an ir sensor. I took the liberty to post pics.
120116_0004.jpg
120116_0003.jpg
120116_0002.jpg

brett636

It never made sense to me why the company would supposedly install a camera there in the first place.

I tend to agree. What can a camera tell them that GPS, and the multiple sensors installed in the trucks can't? Lets not forget all the work and money required to not only capture the video data, but to store and review it as well. Just doesn't make sense, but sometimes corporate logic doesn't make sense.

curiousbrain

... but it's more fun to keep the conspiracy theory alive.

I'll bet the IR sensor is just a cover; the camera is inside the IR. Or, they knew you were suspicious and they replaced it right before you opened it up.

Or, even better, you work for "them" and are showing pictures of a fake sensor to convince everyone they are not being watched, when in fact they are being watched.

johnoutdoors

I tend to agree. What can a camera tell them that GPS, and the multiple sensors installed in the trucks can't? Lets not forget all the work and money required to not only capture the video data, but to store and review it as well. Just doesn't make sense, but sometimes corporate logic doesn't make sense.
Using this logic, telematics didn't make sense either, they could tell location and time, therefore speed between stops, etc. If you figure how much more data is sent over the air, storage space, computing costs, software, sensor hardware and instalation, etc, it was a losing proposition. Why wouldn't they do it again?

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
Using this logic, telematics didn't make sense either, they could tell location and time, therefore speed between stops, etc. If you figure how much more data is sent over the air, storage space, computing costs, software, sensor hardware and instalation, etc, it was a losing proposition. Why wouldn't they do it again?

John, look in tihis post for the answer that you seek.

Telematics-Whats the REAL reason?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Oh, I get the real reason. Ive been here for long enough to see the writing on the wall. UPS only put it in because the care about our safety....(insert hysterical laughing fit here)

We went live on telematics and for the most part our center is working very safely. It seems that our biggest concern is recording while driving.

Our center manager told us that in a center in our district a driver drove 30 miles without wearing his seat belt.

I find myself more aware of when to take off my seat belt and am trying to reduce the number of backs now that we have telematics.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I am amazed telematics didn't send a message to Atlanta, "Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner! We have found the one perfect driver." Instead, Nancy tells us how he has to reduce backs and make sure he is wearing his seat belt. What were you doing before? Just backing down Main Street Plattsburgh? Without a seat belt?
Didn't I hear one time, "if you do your job correctly, you should have nothing to worry about"?
Yeah, I did. Well, well. Imagine that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is the most annoying thing. If i feel it is safer to back down a block or driveway, I will still do it.

I am talking about loading docks--they would have a fit if we backed down a block or driveway.

I have been making a conscious effort to reduce the number of backs but there are stops when I have no choice. As for the seat belt, the wheels don't move until the seat belt is on. This is a carry over from my miilitary days. What I was talking about was I am more aware of when I take my seat belt off. I make sure the vehicle is in park, the parking brake is on and the vehicle is turned off. Prior to Telematics I would take the seat belt off as I was doing the above.

I have also been fighting the urge to reach for the DIAD while driving and have had only two recording while idling. I have found that if you are at a stoplight you can use the DIAD as long as you put the vehicle in to park.

Returntosender

Ideal equipment for scanning wireless video signals that might be hidden in your home or office. Can be found on Google " Bug/tracking device dectectors"

johnoutdoors

I am talking about loading docks--they would have a fit if we backed down a block or driveway.

I have also been fighting the urge to reach for the DIAD while driving and have had only two recording while idling. I have found that if you are at a stoplight you can use the DIAD as long as you put the vehicle in to park.

I deliver in a well to do suburb in NJ. Some of the driveways are 250-300 feet. I had my center manager on the car with me earlier in the year and he had no problem with my backing. I am usually back over a mile a day in 50-60 backs.

You can do almost anything with the DIAD that doesnt trip the GPS. Don't scan, release, hit signature, or stop complete and there is no indication on the report. If you do any of that while idling or moving it pops up.

The funny thing about all of it is, the guy who gave us our intro to telematics is the one who told us all of this. They know that this is more about another report and another way to mitigate their own liability if we get hurt or have an accident. Can't you hear them in their most sanctimonious voice, "We knew he had a history of distracted driving from our handy dandy sensors and have disciplined him repeatedly for it. Its not our fault, we are trying to stop this abhorrant behavior." Its not about our safety, its about minimizing culpability in lawsuits.