LGBTQ

moreluck

golden ticket member
What happens if your kid refuses to go through a "rainbow doctor's" door ???

I could care less if someone is gay, but all this pandering to a tiny fraction of the population (less than 2%) is mind-numbing.

Via Washington Times:
In its first sexual-orientation policy update in nearly a decade, the nation’s largest pediatricians group said its members should do more to fight “heterosexism” and “homophobia,” as well as step up their care of teens with same-sex attractions.

“Sexual-minority youth should not be considered abnormal,” the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) said in its new materials on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) youths, released Monday.

The policy statement and technical report — which updates a 2004 policy — is nonbinding but recommends that pediatricians create offices that are “teen-friendly and welcoming to all adolescents, regardless of sexual orientation and behavior.”

Doctors can signal their openness to LGBTQ youths by putting out brochures with pictures of “both same- and opposite-gender couples” or posting a “rainbow” decal on an office door or bulletin board. The report also suggests that medical questionnaires be changed to be gender-neutral, and that staff be trained to not ask a boy about his girlfriend, but to ask him to “tell me about your partner” instead.

bbsam

Staff member
How is including this minority on issues of human health "pandering" andnwhat possible harm could it pose to the majority?

moreluck

golden ticket member
As soon as kids know the "rainbow" stands for gay, they will not go there if they are not gay. That's just the way kids are. They won't hang with the Goths if they are wearing colors either.

If only 2% of the population is gay, then why should ALL the doctor doors have a rainbow....that's pandering!!

No question on health issues......they are talking about putting rainbows on all doctors doors.....preposteros!!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Suppose one of your granddaughters was among the 2%---would you still feel the same way?

There is nothing wrong with updating this policy.
Clear glass is good enough on doctors doors.....it's hard enough getting kids to go to the DR. no matter what their orientation is.
My 18 yr old is going to join the Marines........maybe she'll be stationed at Pendleton (I hope). She has boyfriend for the past year or so, but who knows?

bbsam

Staff member
I think you need to reread (or read for the first time) the article you posted and refrain from interjecting hysteria words like "all" and "won't" when doing so.

moreluck

golden ticket member
From the article....

Doctors can signal their openness to LGBTQ youths by putting out brochures with pictures of “both same- and opposite-gender couples” or posting a “rainbow” decal on an office door or bulletin board

So if a doctor doesn't want to post a rainbow, it will be assumed that he/she is not friendly to the gay community.

It doesn't matter what your orientation is, your body parts and workings thereof are the same.

moreluck

golden ticket member
It's not the doctor.....it's dragging your kid through the door with the rainbow decals.

You know the song....Look for the union label when you are buying a shirt, pants or dress....etc ??

Now it'll be..."Look for the rainbow decals when you're needing a medical expert.....etc.

Hippocratic Oath

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Listen...i've been to a few doctors and dentists over the years where I could just tell they were uncomfortable the minute they walked in and saw me. Even though they were still professional enough, it's....not the best feeling in the world. And I have, and would again, not return and found a new dr. I'm an adult, and it bugs me when it happens, imagine how it would feel to a young person just coming to terms with who they are? So, yeah hang a rainbow, who's it going to hurt?

curiousbrain

Here's a crazy idea - forget the rainbow, or any notion that "different" is bad, and just accept the fact that all doctors have to treat everyone equally, regardless of their sexual orientation.

The fact that it is even an issue about a patients sexuality is a disgusting reflection on our society; and it is not even necessarily the doctors' faults, but more the result of a hard-line political system (both left and right, mind you) that even makes this an issue.

Some days, I'm ashamed to be a part of the "process" - whatever that even means any more.

Why would a rainbow sticker on a door deter a kid from going in to a doctor's office? Most likely it would be small and sit next to the types of credit cards they take. It's not like there would be rainbow flags and a rainbow banner that says "GAYS GO HERE EVERYONE IS GAYYYY". Most kids these days don't care. Unless they're raised by bigots, I guess.

oldngray

nowhere special
I could care less how my doctor or dentist is wired. What matters to me is whether they are professional. In my opinion having rainbows or pro gay posters are very unprofessional. It would also be unprofessional to have a sign saying that office does not treat gays. It should not be an issue and trying to create publicity about it is just trying to force a personal agenda that has no place in a professional environment.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Here's a crazy idea - forget the rainbow, or any notion that "different" is bad, and just accept the fact that all doctors have to treat everyone equally, regardless of their sexual orientation.

The fact that it is even an issue about a patients sexuality is a disgusting reflection on our society; and it is not even necessarily the doctors' faults, but more the result of a hard-line political system (both left and right, mind you) that even makes this an issue.

Some days, I'm ashamed to be a part of the "process" - whatever that even means any more.
I agree, treat everyone the same.....so why the extra expense of decals???

At least I already knew what LGBTQ meant before the article.......learned that from Kathy Griffin long time ago.!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
CF0qkSy.gif

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It's not the doctor.....it's dragging your kid through the door with the rainbow decals.

You know the song....Look for the union label when you are buying a shirt, pants or dress....etc ??

Now it'll be..."Look for the rainbow decals when you're needing a medical expert.....etc.

Hippocratic Oath
Kids today are more accepting of others. It's the older generations that need to progress.