Life Expectancy after Retirement?

21_years_in

I am 55 with 27 years service as a driver. I can retire now, but my wife is going to work another 10 years, so I plan to work until my 65th birthday. I have a *very* easy and very scenic country route.

A coworker told me that the average UPS driver only lives about 2 to 5 years after they retire. This sounds wrong to me.

Does anybody know the correct data about the actual statistic for a retired UPS driver?

I had been assuming that I would make it to the age where my grandfathers died (79 years old, both of them). My Dad is 79 and he is still alive and well.

Hopefully somebody here has heard a more encouraging number than dropping dead 2-5 years into retirement!

quad decade guy

I would think that the physical nature of our jobs would be a plus. But.....how about stress? What is your life like outside of UPS? Heredity? I would also think your answer possibly lies in there...vs unsupported speculation.

21_years_in

I would think that the physical nature of our jobs would be a plus. But.....how about stress? What is your life like outside of UPS? Heredity? I would also think your answer possibly lies in there...vs unsupported speculation.
As for me, I am sure that my doctor could provide a better guess for my longevity.

Generally speaking, the 2-5 year mortality figure for UPS drivers has got to be wrong; I sure hope it is!

The pension fund would be healthy indeed if the average payout were only 2-5 years.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The earlier you retire the longer you will live in retirement, seems like a no-brainer. Obviously you gotta take of yourself, eat right, get some exercise, don't turn into a drunk etc but most of the guys I know who have retired in the last 2-5 years are still around. The ones who have passed away died from specific issues that didn't seem related to retirement.

Captain Qwark

"I don't deserve these bulbous buttocks."
I don't think you're going to find that specific statistic anywhere. I did google 'life expectancy of a trucker.' Yikes; though most of the people I know who have worked at UPS who've died did while employed there and not retired. I don't recall any who have died right after retirement (2-5 years).

What I'd like to know is the life expectancy of a center manager. I've yet to see one who looked healthy.

satellitedriver

Today is the only day you have, and you should make use of it.
Statistical analysis is just a metric.
Each moment is precocious and share it with the ones you care for.
Been retired 8 yrs from UPS and still pissing people off with my longevity.

Shiftless

I was just at a memorial in Aug 2021 for a dear friend. Met some 35 years ago, he followed me into feeder, we have been best friends all this time. He retired at 59. Died in less than two years of retirement just turning 61. Bladder Cancer

I worked with another guy who bragged that both parents lived to be over 100. He expected he would do the same. He retired at 55 dies 18 months later pancreatic cancer.

I will never forget Harry! When I started he mentored me. Gave me sage advice early on in the 70's "Its their dispatch, just give a 100% and let the rest fall on them" I asked him the weeks leading up to retirement watcha gonna do Harry???? He would just say Watch football and drink a few beers. He died less than 6 months later at 65 years of age. Heart attack. Another thing about Harry was he kept telling me "get financially ready for retirement, comes quicker than you think". I took that advice!

Take from this what you will on longevity after UPS.

Like many I started part time and never thought I would work long term at UPS! Many have said the same thing!

I walked out at 49 years of age Retired and HAPPY! 16 plus years for me!

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
The life expectancy of a commercial truck driver is 61 years old; this is 16 years lower than the national average.

That is probably because they are all fat smokers hooked on No Doz.

tourists24

One thing is for sure. The later in age you work, the shorter your life after retirement is. It's up to you where you'll be happier; work or retirement. Then again, you can still find work after retirement time

oldngray

nowhere special
One thing is for sure. The later in age you work, the shorter your life after retirement is. It's up to you where you'll be happier; work or retirement. Then again, you can still find work after retirement time
Plus your quality of life after you retire is priceless. You can work longer and end up with more money but be too crippled to enjoy yourself.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Plus your quality of life after you retire is priceless. You can work longer and end up with more money but be too crippled to enjoy yourself.
All the guys that can retire now but don’t, even though they can afford to are taking a chance of getting injured or getting to the point where they finally start to have physical problems.
If you’re able to retire, do it before you HAVE to!

oldngray

nowhere special
All the guys that can retire now but don’t, even though they can afford to are taking a chance of getting injured or getting to the point where they finally start to have physical problems.
I had originally planned to work a year or two longer but my body told me it was time to go. I never regretted that decision.

quad decade guy

The life expectancy of a commercial truck driver is 61 years old; this is 16 years lower than the national average.

Ok.

Define commercial truck driver.

Why? Because we are commercial truck drivers true....but not over the road long haul types(sleepers excepted).

Now, feeders can seem like it. But I submit pkg car can seem like it too. Feeders home every night/day gives at least the possibility of exercise and convenience of meal possibilities. Now over the road trucking can allow for a healthier lifestyle...but if you've ever done it....it takes a lot of effort...especially UPS sleepers as in my experience(we don't stop and have a lot of free time).

Think of all the dust inhaled on some routes. Think of all that box dust and how generally dirty you are after 10 hours of delivering. Those salt stains on your uniform didn't get there by accident....we had a nervous type of guy we called "The coal miner"....he wiped his face a lot with pkg car black hands....he also smoked like a chimney(chronic)...was also one of the few flabby pkg car drivers....actually overweight.

I know of very few UPS'ers that died at 61 or just about anyone for that matter. I realize exceptions.

If a guy gets bladder cancer.....was it from drinking water from lead lined pipes as a kid or adult? Or 5 Mountain Dews every day? Big gulps...? Or mineral water(healthy right) in plastic bottles....See?
I was just at a memorial in Aug 2021 for a dear friend. Met some 35 years ago, he followed me into feeder, we have been best friends all this time. He retired at 59. Died in less than two years of retirement just turning 61. Bladder Cancer

I worked with another guy who bragged that both parents lived to be over 100. He expected he would do the same. He retired at 55 dies 18 months later pancreatic cancer.

I will never forget Harry! When I started he mentored me. Gave me sage advice early on in the 70's "Its their dispatch, just give a 100% and let the rest fall on them" I asked him the weeks leading up to retirement watcha gonna do Harry???? He would just say Watch football and drink a few beers. He died less than 6 months later at 65 years of age. Heart attack. Another thing about Harry was he kept telling me "get financially ready for retirement, comes quicker than you think". I took that advice!

Take from this what you will on longevity after UPS.

Like many I started part time and never thought I would work long term at UPS! Many have said the same thing!

I walked out at 49 years of age Retired and HAPPY! 16 plus years for me!
He(your friend) very nearly made it to life expectancy. Not much more you can ask for. With all respect to your friend(With sincerity)....a lot of heart disease is highly treatable if not preventable....(there is a lot of variables there). FOR EXAMPLE: MY BROTHER IN LAW went to have a stress test in his early 50's....he is a big boy(6'3 300) and what a surprise....4 stints later(and was completely, utterly surprised). Ate anything he wanted and loathed exercise of any type...I mean HATED it. Bitched at mowing the grass....see? He was a an ATT phone guy...not a commercial truck driver. He made it to retirement and now in his early 60's.....but I would not(and just about anyone in the family) be surprised at that 2am phone call....

I had a grandmother died at 97....never knew what "exercise was" and kept a 5 gallon can of lard under the sink....ate pinto beans and cornbread, whatever pie she made, some fried whatever garden veg 2 meals a day 7 days a week(till she died). Born in 1910. You can imagine what life was like in rural OK. My grandfather(her husband)? died at 72...as a life long heavy smoker, pipeline welder...born 1912. Lung cancer...smoked until hospital wouldn't let him....where he died.

Message?......it just depends.

quad decade guy

"able to retire".....define please. Do you mean financially or as defined by our pension benefit parameters? For example: I need to keep our insurance right where it is.....at 62 I can draw SSI. 65 would be better for Medicare(for us). It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to use my own money to pay for these things. I'll trade my time(for now) for $100k+ and free insurance.

My financial guy agrees.....

I don't worry about it at all...no bs.

I've got much more to worry about than money....

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
The pension fund would be healthy indeed if the average payout were only 2-5 years.
I don't know. It might be. The Teamsters would still find a way to keep the fund in the critical zone.
This is my 13th peak I never touched a package. I was 52. Wednesday was my first day on Medicare. I still don't care.
One thing for sure, not having to put browns on to start your day, never hurt anyone.

Last edited:

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
"able to retire".....define please. Do you mean financially or as defined by our pension benefit parameters? For example: I need to keep our insurance right where it is.....at 62 I can draw SSI. 65 would be better for Medicare(for us). It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to use my own money to pay for these things. I'll trade my time(for now) for $100k+ and free insurance.

My financial guy agrees.....

I don't worry about it at all...no bs.

I've got much more to worry about than money....
Why are you such a pain in the behind?