life @ UPS

newguyups

Hey Guys,
I've been a employee at UPS and a member here for 4 months. I'm working the morning shift 4-8 am in the sort isle @ a hub in Pa. This is a second job for me. My bread and butter is my full time job as Lead Anesthesia Assistant at a local hospital, about ten minutes from the hub.
I have two friends that work at UPS. My friend Alan works in South Carolina, as a loader, he works just for the benefits (it saves him about $1200 month for his family) he also owns two Groucho's restaurants (for those whom may know of them). My friend Chris works in up state PA as a analyst.
Anyway, I started working a UPS because I felt I was life lacking real work. I was sick of looking at my perfectly manicured girly hands. So I went online and filled out the application and was hired the next week. 4 months have now pasted and I have to admit, I really enjoy it. Although most people think that I'm crazy working two jobs when I don't have to. I get health benefits at my full time job as well as make a good living.
I think I would like to stay at UPS and make a career out of it! So about a month and half ago, I went and spoke to my HR manager. They suggested maybe driving, so I took the driving test (passed) and I got the UPS Integrad CD and passed it and then got my uniform. I'm scheduled to attend the Integrad Training School in Maryland after peak season is over with.
Great driving! This is what most people who start at UPS want to do right!
But, I've been thinking to myself and I don't think I want to drive?
AM I CRAZY?
So I've thinking about management or supervisor position, is this a stupid idea?
I believe I can excel as management and or supervisor.
So my Questions are : Is UPS a great place to make a career out of?
Is wanting to Management or Supervisor stupid as opposed to driving?

Thanks,
sincerely a confused and in need of your opinion upser

UnconTROLLed

perfection
without knowing you, there is absolutely no way anyone can gauge what is best for you. only you know what is best for you.

I will say, if you make good money where you are (60-70k/year), don't quit your day job.

I left my day job in 2000-2002 making 60k/year, also balanced two jobs- UPS and my career - and ended up leaving the full-time one. Now I am full-time at UPS 7 years later and it was "a wash".

Also, (without getting into the life story), don't be fooled about driving. It will take 3 years to make good money, plus you have to make book (FT seniority list) to even begin that 3 year wage progression. If you do make book soon, congratulations. But the wait for any type of handsome pay will not come for several years.

Also I do not see how someone with 4 months can make book, unless NO ONE wants a driving job inside the building you have been working. Seniority dictates who has their shot at driving before anyone else. It's possible, but chances are you will be used as a temp cover driver and never fully get in.

Why would anyone want a driving career if they didnt need money?? If i were you i wouldnt quit my day job.

And there is nothing honorable about hård work. All it is is hard work, dont dø it unless you need the benefits honestly

Work right slow and safe

i too was working two jobs once a cover driver job opend up they came to me and asked if i would like to take it i asked a few drivers if that was a good idea they told that they have never been sent back so i took the job to be home more with my kids
well i drove for 5 months then got sent back to the hub due to lack of work in the center along with 5 other drivers and now only getting 3.5 hr a night so with all the lay off that every one has been talking about come jan think long and hard about your life ups does not care about you or your life only that the work gets done and when there is no work your gone and left with no money well good luck

rod

Retired 22 years
"Work your fingers to the bone-- what do you get"-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"bony fingers":peaceful: (Hoyt Axton-1974)

newguyups

I believe most people at my hub have full time jobs and or own their own businesses (landscaping and lawn care). Mostly they just working there for the health benefits and tax breaks for sole proprietorship owners. None really from whom I talked too have any need or time to become drivers.

Thank you for your input and opinions

For what it's worth, here is my take. I gather you are fairly young, mid to late twenties? if so, At this time of your life you are young, strong and full of energy. By the time you have made a career of driving (if that's the direction you choose) your body will be worn out, if your knees are not shot, your ankles or hips will be. The wear and tear on one's body is bad enough today, yet it keeps getting tougher each year.
Now, if your direction is toward management, all I can tell you is what I have seen in my area of UPS, granted it may not hold true to all aspects of UPS management. It seems that one of the first things they look for in supervisor prospects is some one that wants to make a difference and believes they can. People that are willing to go that extra mile for the team, to dedicate themselves to UPS and put the company above personal, family and friends. Someone willing to relocate to anywhere the company wants them to be.
The company higher ups require integrity from all employees below them, yet they fail to demonstrate the same day after day.

Don't get me wrong, if UPS is a good fit for someone, they should by all means go for it, just don't jump in with your eyes glossed over by promises that are kept at the same rate as politicians.

I can tell ya one thing for sure, with nearly 20 years of driving at UPS, I would jump at the chance to work in a clean atmosphere where you don't have to walk in snow all day or drive a non-air conditioned truck that creates as much heat as the sun for 10 hours a day.

newguyups

For what it's worth, here is my take. I gather you are fairly young, mid to late twenties? if so, At this time of your life you are young, strong and full of energy. By the time you have made a career of driving (if that's the direction you choose) your body will be worn out, if your knees are not shot, your ankles or hips will be. The wear and tear on one's body is bad enough today, yet it keeps getting tougher each year.
Now, if your direction is toward management, all I can tell you is what I have seen in my area of UPS, granted it may not hold true to all aspects of UPS management. It seems that one of the first things they look for in supervisor prospects is some one that wants to make a difference and believes they can. People that are willing to go that extra mile for the team, to dedicate themselves to UPS and put the company above personal, family and friends. Someone willing to relocate to anywhere the company wants them to be.
The company higher ups require integrity from all employees below them, yet they fail to demonstrate the same day after day.

Don't get me wrong, if UPS is a good fit for someone, they should by all means go for it, just don't jump in with your eyes glossed over by promises that are kept at the same rate as politicians.

I can tell ya one thing for sure, with nearly 20 years of driving at UPS, I would jump at the chance to work in a clean atmosphere where you don't have to walk in snow all day or drive a non-air conditioned truck that creates as much heat as the sun for 10 hours a day.

Thank you Trplnkl for your insight. I do believe I can make a difference and am willing to go the extra mile. If I choose to go into management I will try my utmost to have great rapport with whose around me

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thank you Trplnkl for your insight. I do believe I can make a difference and am willing to go the extra mile. If I choose to go into management I will try my utmost to have great rapport with whose around me

Respect.

Respect those you work with, those you work for and those who work for you.

Respect the job.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, respect yourself.

Thank you Trplnkl for your insight. I do believe
I can make a difference and am willing to go the extra mile. If I choose to
go into management I will try my utmost to have great rapport with
whose around me
Oh crap, I left one important thing out, they will not allow you to make that
difference. They just want people with that attitude, so they can count on your dedication.

newguy1

aren't most if not all full time sups former drivers? and even people high up, everyone i have met were all drivers at one point which gives them the first hands on experience to really understand what it is. i think if a sup wasnt a driver before, they wont know what the job really is and what to expect from the drivers....

I have been employed with UPS since September 2003, and have spent the last 3.5 years in mgmt.

I am incredibly proud to work for UPS, and the things that we have accomplished over the last 101 years. A key to the success that UPS has had is due to our ability to adapt our company to a changing world. With that being said, I think the most important thing that has lead to the success at UPS was the foundation that Jim Casey poured from the beginning.

-Jim Casey believed that no single individual should be given disproportionate share of credit for the development of UPS.
-He pushed ownership of our company by the people employed in it
-He paid attention to small things, went out of his way to thank people for the work they were doing.
-Took to heart the task of ensuring that every package entrusted to UPS was handled with care.

The reigns of the company are slowly being passed from the Baby Boomer Generation to our generations. I think it is important to hold on to the foundation that was laid by Casey, continue to adapt to the changing world, and also learn as much as possible from the people that are currently leading our company.

Re-Raise

aren't most if not all full time sups former drivers? and even people high up, everyone i have met were all drivers at one point which gives them the first hands on experience to really understand what it is. i think if a sup wasnt a driver before, they wont know what the job really is and what to expect from the drivers....

Not really. They generally convince a part-timer to go into management and then start them driving for a couple of months so they can claim experience.

I have seen this happen several times at our center, I have never seen a bid route driver go into management.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Newguy, No one has asked and I don't think you said............"Do you want to give up your other job altogether?"

If you go to FT driving you won't have time for anything else.
If you go to PT mgt you should still have time for your other job.
If you go to FT mgt you won't have time for anything else.

Something to consider.