(link)UPS laid off nearly 50 air workers on Christmas Eve with no warning (link)

klein

Für Meno :)
okaY, HE'S in the red, because probably no one believed him. I gave him him some reps, but not enough to get him out of it. Anyone want to help ?

804brown

they should put the rat in Manhattan 43rd and south building not queens!!! we got the brunt of the layoffs

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe you should call the hall and demand they make a stand in Manhattan especially 43st. If anyone has connections to any media, please invite them down. By laying off hard working union members at the same time they are still using non-union helpers and supervisors is wrong and should be exposed!

siredline09

okaY, HE'S in the red, because probably no one believed him. I gave him him some reps, but not enough to get him out of it. Anyone want to help ?
Dude dont really care about reps just want to let other union guys know what the deal is with managment and how they are treating there most loyal workers!

klein

I find it myself disgusting, going thru peak, and then the last day of it (as an xmas present and a thank-you for working so hard and long) - you get the pinkslip !

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I find it myself disgusting, going thru peak, and then the last day of it (as an xmas present and a thank-you for working so hard and long) - you get the pinkslip !

Would you rather that they had never worked at all?
This happens all the time in software development ... Finish a project and on to something else.

klein

Would you rather that they had never worked at all?
This happens all the time in software development ... Finish a project and on to something else.

No, I find that mean, to do your very, very best, work fast and hard, thinking you're there for the company and fully devoted towards it.

I bet, if they would have known in advance, that they would have gotten the pinkslip the day peak is over (and as an xmas present/bonus), they wouldn't have worked that hard, or wouldn't haved worked there at all.

Because, we know how it is, it goes by seniorty, so by no means did they have top-rate pay.... just slavery pay, where they could have gotten more pay somewhere, else.
Fedex for example ! And many more companies to choose from !

Catatonic

Nine Lives
No, I find that mean, to do your very, very best, work fast and hard, thinking you're there for the company and fully devoted towards it.

I bet, if they would have known in advance, that they would have gotten the pinkslip the day peak is over (and as an xmas present/bonus), they wouldn't have worked that hard, or wouldn't haved worked there at all.

Because, we know how it is, it goes by seniorty, so by no means did they have top-rate pay.... just slavery pay, where they could have gotten more pay somewhere, else.
I think your reply is a reflection of you.
I work people who know they don't have a job after a specific date and they work s hard that last week as the first. Some people have an inner pride in what they do.

Nimnim

The Nim
I work people who know they don't have a job after a specific date and they work s hard that last week as the first. Some people have an inner pride in what they do.

Though I'm sure that last day is a bit harder to give 100% on, but I know what you mean. It's good for people to have pride in their work, no matter how long they're doing it. Good work ethics are hard to find these days.

You must still be choosing.

bluehdmc

Do those people you work with know they will no longer have a job after a specific date?

There's a difference between taking a job that you know is going to be temporary versus having a job that is supposed to be "permanent" and in reality it was only temporary.

If you get hired for 2 months and you know that going in then you should have no hard feelings when you are let go at the end of the 2 months. If you're hired for what's described as a long term position and they let you go (and 40 some others, so you know it's not related to your job performance), there could be some hard feelings generated.

klein

Yup, that is pretty cold-hearted !

They didn't even have the decency to wait until after xmas, nevermind New Years, but gave them the news on xmas eve, that their service is no longer needed !
How do you think those 50 spent their xmas ?

Ever think of that ?

Plus, you need to count in the pride effect it has on people. Saying they are a driver for UPS (the largest shipping company), and they have pride in their job, and think they can make a career out of it.
Then everything just comes crashing down, as if scrooge came suddenly for a nasty visit, and brought the worst nightmare xmas, for those drivers.

Plus, you need to count in the pride effect it has on people. Saying they are a driver for UPS (the largest shipping company), and they have pride in their job, and think they can make a career out of it.
Then everything just comes crashing down, as if scrooge came suddenly for a nasty visit, and brought the worst nightmare xmas, for those drivers.

Telling everyone in the bar "Hey! I`m a UPS, (vomits) driver!"