Little document passed around my hub tonight

A document was handed to me tonight by my supervisor, it read something like this "As a loader, I acknowledge that it is my responsibility to check at least 5 small packages within each bag to ensure all packages are heading to the correct location, I understand that if I fail to do so, I may face disciplinary action." I needed to print my name and then sign it, however I told my Sup that I refused to sign. What is this? And can anything happen to me because I refused to sign. Seems to me UPS is trying to attain a right to fire an employee for misleads now.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
A document was handed to me tonight by my supervisor, it read something like this "As a loader, I acknowledge that it is my responsibility to check at least 5 small packages within each bag to ensure all packages are heading to the correct location, I understand that if I fail to do so, I may face disciplinary action." I needed to print my name and then sign it, however I told my Sup that I refused to sign. What is this? And can anything happen to me because I refused to sign. Seems to me UPS is trying to attain a right to fire an employee for misleads now.
Probably just phishing for malcontents!
Or
Starting a new campaign... got any higher boss new to your area?
If so, then ‘trying some old tricks’ is due to new guy.

Talk to some old timers and ask them.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

You don't have to sign anything out there , but forms required by the government.

km3

I wonder how they would enforce that... How can they prove that you only checked 4 packages, and not 5? Are you supposed to grab your sup each time a bag comes down and check in front of him/her? Is looking through the small bag sufficient, or do you need to open the bag, take the packages out, and then put them back in and zip the bag when you're finished? Surely management must acknowledge that a bag with 20 pieces may have 5 pieces destined for the trailer the bag lands in, but with the other 15 being for some other load...and that those 5 pieces are, coincidentally, the ones you checked.

One could have a lot of fun with something like this...

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
Training and a physical UPS check is the only thing you need to sign. I would threaten to file just off princple.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

NMA
Article 6

Section 1. Extra Contract Agreements
Except as may be otherwise provided in this Agreement, the Employer agrees not to enter into, or attempt to enter into, any agreement or contract with its employees, either individually or col- lectively, or to require or attempt to require employees to sign any document, either individually or collectively, which in any way conflicts with the provisions of this Agreement. Any such Agreement or document shall be null and void. Any such agreement or document may not be placed in an employee’s file or used by the Employer as a basis for discipline or used in connection with any disciplinary proceeding, nor may any such agreement or document nor the contents thereof be divulged to any person or entity.
In addition, the Company will not discipline an employee for refus- ing to sign any Company form related to the principle of a fair day’s work
unless the signing is required by law or by this Agreement.

Pass this on to your preloaders and be empowered, not weak minded slaves.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I really hope the new supervisor at our center tries something like this. :happy-very:

OP, don't sign it, unless you are under 30 days.
If you're that new, just do whatever they say, cause they can throw you out, anyway.

But if you aren't, then laughing at the supervisor is probably appropriate.

I don't stir the pot much because supervisors hold grudges, but that one's just silly, and they probably know it.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Don't sign, but do add your own language to the sheet.

All you are signing is that it was reviewed with you. They are putting in writing a method to the job. Supe should write the date reviewed and write“refused to sign”.

rod

Retired 22 years
When situations like this happened years ago we used to all sign the resident suck asses name. Every center has one.

WTFm8

Request a Steward and even if they are agreeing or forcing signature write V.C. then your name.

Or sign your name then put "- Under Duress"

The Range

In too deep
File that one in the bin of stupidity along with sorters marking packages. Checking 5 packages in every bag would earn UPS a pph of 100 in most loads. Loaders aren't required to know their loads with the advent of smart scanners. What good would looking at 5 labels do?

Over disciplined0123

I have signed ridiculous documents from ups like that before Sign and write under protest .