Livin the dream?

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
How long does it usually take new employees (under 5 years) to learn that UPS is living off an old reputation, that it is no longer (and has not been for a long time) a desirable place to be employed?

I'm a reasonably intelligent guy, but it took me a year to realize that management cannot be truthful even when there is no reason at all to lie.

And a question to other package drivers out there (I know we are not supposed to talk about this out loud) Do we all just tell ourselves it is such a great job because we have so much time invested in it, that otherwise we would become suicidal?

NHDRVR

In all honesty, the actual job itself, I am referring to the actual physical job of delivering cardboard and driving, alone, is absolutely fine. I enjoy it. I am on the phone (bluetooth headset - Jawbone) for about 3 hours a day. I have a comfortable 'boonie run' and I get to have dinner, which is my lunch, with my family.
Please be honest....the problem is mgmt. who decides I have no idea what I am doing.
Again, the job is fine.
It's the little stuff like the OJS's, the space and vis., the on-road observations, that you just have to stomach and the rest, it seems, falls into place. I find that the newer drivers, 5 years and under, have to simply adjust to this.
The economy dictates our desire for the job.
As of this moment, I am happy I make close to 75-80 a year, full (for the most part) benefits, healthy kids and wife, 6 weeks vacation, 3 sick days, ... you get the point.
The reputation is only as good as yesterdays newspaper.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
How long does it usually take new employees (under 5 years) to learn that UPS is living off an old reputation, that it is no longer (and has not been for a long time) a desirable place to be employed?

I'm a reasonably intelligent guy, but it took me a year to realize that management cannot be truthful even when there is no reason at all to lie.

And a question to other package drivers out there (I know we are not supposed to talk about this out loud) Do we all just tell ourselves it is such a great job because we have so much time invested in it, that otherwise we would become suicidal?

Hey livin the Dream,

Sure doesn't see like a dream..:sad-little:

Welcome to the Brown Cafe, perhaps if you stick around long enough we can shed a little B.C. sunshine on ya to go with that reasonable intelligence!!:peaceful:

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
A good point made - a clarification is in order;

The actual WORK I love - driving, delivering, fresh air (with a hint of diesel).

It is the BS, meetings, observations, stupid acronyms, and management doing everything possible to screw up a good thing that is unbearable.

McLeod

The actual WORK I love - driving, delivering, fresh air (with a hint of diesel).

It is the BS, meetings, observations, stupid acronyms, and management doing everything possible to screw up a good thing that is unbearable.

I think I speak for 95% of all drivers..we feel the same just have to stomach the management team!! Tell yourself I am not here to make friends, friends will come naturally weather on road or at your free time off clock. You have to grow very thick skin because if you let them, they will try to get under it!!

NHDRVR

Well said..

S

speeddemon

While I do share, for the most part, your feelings about our company, the older I get, one thing is for sure. My attitude toward it, regardless of the circumstances, has the biggest effect on any situation. Life is too short to spend too much energy just complaining about things. We have two choices. Either do your best, while trying to make it a better workplace, or gripe about it and offer no solution. Just my two cents.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
While I do share, for the most part, your feelings about our company, the older I get, one thing is for sure. My attitude toward it, regardless of the circumstances, has the biggest effect on any situation. Life is too short to spend too much energy just complaining about things. We have two choices. Either do your best, while trying to make it a better workplace, or gripe about it and offer no solution. Just my two cents.

We actually agree with each other on this - I have no control over the actions of others, but can control how I react to it.

I have "reacted" to it by coming to an understanding with myself - UPS is my way of obtaining health benefits for my family until such time I am fired for using three fingers instead of 4 when punching buttons on the DIAD, or some other such corporate-mandated nonsense. Hereinafter referred to as SOSCMN, for the acronym-challenged.

Lousy attitude, but actually a relief of sorts. Original post was simply to blow off steam.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dream, 25+ years is going to seem like an eternity if you are not able to ignore the BS. The best part of our jobs is the moment we pull from the bldg because, for the most part, it's just you delivering cardboard and driving. Enjoy that part, endure the rest, and your family will be provided for and you will have a comfortable retirement.

bluehdmc

As an off the street feeder driver (3yrs) my feeling is it's the best job I ever had for the worst company I ever worked for. The job I like the bs, no. Every job has it's pluses and minuses, if the pluses outweigh the minuses, you stay there. If the minuses outweigh the pluses you look for something else. UPS is a big beauracracy, a lot like the military, they've made studies of ways to do things, you have the mucky mucks in some office in Atlanta who decides new technologies or methods and all that bs gets passed down to your supervisor who has to implement it.
Once I go out the gate it's all basically forgotten about, I just try to do the best job I can, as safely as I can so I can go home at the end of the day.
When I told friends I was going to work for UPS they all replied, "That's a good company to work for."
This is all because they heard of the bennies, etc. Believe me, I've worked other places with good benefits and had a lot more bs to put up with. I've found some people manage to let the bs roll off their shoulders, and some people get ulcers worrying about it. I don't really feel like getting an ulcer myself. Just do the job the best you can and you should be all right.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment that results from being able to provide my customers with good service in spite of the actions of the management team.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate-
I'll believe the comfortable retirement part when/if I see it.

Proper financial planning at this point in your career will help you meet that goal.

I just received my projected annual pension and, if I were to leave today, I would receive nearly $50K/year when I reach retirement age. Couple that with my 401k, a part time job for spending money, and Social Security when I become eligible and I should be just fine.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Proper financial planning at this point in your career will help you meet that goal.

I just received my projected annual pension and, if I were to leave today, I would receive nearly $50K/year when I reach retirement age. Couple that with my 401k, a part time job for spending money, and Social Security when I become eligible and I should be just fine.
I sincerely hope those projections hold up. My local's pension payout is one of the best in the country, but the big question is how much of it was invested in mortgage backed securities? I've worked through several different retirement scenarios, the best case ones have me leaving with between 80 and 100k per year (pension and 401K combined), but this past year has been a grim reminder that nothing is certain in this world but death and taxes.

helenofcalifornia

I like the job. I am with Sober in that I like to put "service" back in the UPS when I deliver to my customers. As to all the rest, it's a game, just a game. You gotta play by their rules for the most part. The way I survive all the BS is just by playing it as a game. In one ear and out the other. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the safety stuff is good stuff and if followed will prevent injuries and accidents. But the rest of the stuff, is just "stuff" that I refuse to let get to me. I am a "glass half full" girl which helps. I get the idea some of the people here, and at my work, are always working with a half empty glass.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
I like the job. I am with Sober in that I like to put "service" back in the UPS when I deliver to my customers. As to all the rest, it's a game, just a game. You gotta play by their rules for the most part. The way I survive all the BS is just by playing it as a game. In one ear and out the other. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the safety stuff is good stuff and if followed will prevent injuries and accidents. But the rest of the stuff, is just "stuff" that I refuse to let get to me. I am a "glass half full" girl which helps. I get the idea some of the people here, and at my work, are always working with a half empty glass.

I agree...it's a game that you seem to have to play to work at UPS. I just do my job to the best of my ability, play into the mind games enough to stay off "the radar," clock out and leave the game at the center until the next day.