Load retainers?

quad decade guy

So, whatever happened to load retainers? Coast to Coast, I haven't seen one yet. Not too long ago, we had "you don't move that trailer until one installed/deployed". I'm not sure if load supes even know what they are. Keeping in mind this is a DOT item.

muthatrucka

So, whatever happened to load retainers? Coast to Coast, I haven't seen one yet. Not too long ago, we had "you don't move that trailer until one installed/deployed". I'm not sure if load supes even know what they are. Keeping in mind this is a DOT item.
I’m not even sure they train Part-time Supervisors anymore. They just stick them in their area and say, I’ll check on you later! They probably have no idea they need to hang a retainer or what a gate time is.

trickpony1

Tell'em you're not gonna pull the trailer without a load retainer/strap. They'll find one.

Good luck with that.
Our PT supes couldn't get the seal and seal control stuck in the trailer.
It's not my job to chase some kid down and get him to do his job....so I just waited.

"why are you late?" asks the dispatcher.

Nah

Nobody has time to mess with those. Production, production, production.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
We have trailers full of them sitting on the yard. Can't ever seem to find one in the building though.....

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I seen a few mangled up. Someone left a few near where some runner-gunners had to park.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Tell'em you're not gonna pull the trailer without a load retainer/strap. They'll find one.

I never leave without my loads being secured. The hub can do it, or I can do it. If I do it it’s going to take a lot longer.

It’s my early retirement program.

Dracula

I’ve gotten in many arguments with dispatchers and supervisors about this. They would tell me I didn’t need load retainers and I would tell them they actually trained us to do this.

Then I would show them this picture and the conversation would end.
EE9D76C8-6E91-40C8-93D4-1BAA935268A5.jpeg

Dracula

If it's sealed, and the seal is signed, then I have no need to do anything. But if whoever sealed it didn't sign it, I'll break the seal. Point is, if my name is the first signature on the seal, it's going to be sealed.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If it's sealed, and the seal is signed, then I have no need to do anything. But if whoever sealed it didn't sign it, I'll break the seal. Point is, if my name is the first signature on the seal, it's going to be sealed.
You break a seal if there's no signature?
Mmmmmkkay.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Kudos to you.
Personally, if I'm hooking to sealed load, and the origin/previous driver didn't sign the seal control slip; using a different color ink pen, I put a few ??? on that line, sign the next line, and print "Sealed" above the trailer percentage (if all other info is correct, of course).