Loader and Driver helper?

DriverMD

I did the loader helper combo and it wasn't that bad at first. But once peak really comes into full swing when you're waking up at 11pm to start for pre load and staying out doing driver helper it'll really kick your butt. I lost about 25 pounds when I was doing the two shifts but the pay was pretty good. I was on a strict diet of general tsos chicken and Monster energy drink throughout the whole thing.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Last year I worked my helpers from 9:30AM to 10PM everday and he had to be fresh and ready to work everyday. You really can't do another job while being a helper if you want to be able to perform well and have time to recover.

Con1989

Can i do both if i wanted to? You think it would be too much? I feel like i would be able to stick it out for peak.

Yes you can do both, I did last year. I would driver help during the day then I would go and work in the hub as a loader. I was getting 60-70 hours a week cause I would work Sundays as well. The money was great but toward the end of peak I started to feel all that work catching up to me. But I stuck it out because I knew its was only for a few months. Right now I'm driver helping and jam breaking in the hub.

Nostromo

Last year I worked my helpers from 9:30AM to 10PM everday and he had to be fresh and ready to work everyday. You really can't do another job while being a helper if you want to be able to perform well and have time to recover.
He didn't work in a hub right? I don't think I'll be out that long with a driver.

laffter

Your total hours per day will most likely be capped

Don't supply people with false information. Just because that's how it works in your building doesn't mean it's like that everywhere.

A couple peaks ago I worked an 18-hour day. 14-16 hours becomes particularly common (for me) closer to Christmas.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Don't supply people with false information. Just because that's how it works in your building doesn't mean it's like that everywhere.

A couple peaks ago I worked an 18-hour day. 14-16 hours becomes particularly common (for me) closer to Christmas.
Preloaders are not capped at hours....this past summer I worked several days from 3am to 8-930pm.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

....hence the most likely part of my post....

There is no way in the world you would have ever worked an 18 hour day in my center, let alone 14-16 hours. My helper is a preloader and my center manager would make sure he was off-road before hitting 12 hours combined.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
....hence the most likely part of my post....

There is no way in the world you would have ever worked an 18 hour day in my center, let alone 14-16 hours. My helper is a preloader and my center manager would make sure he was off-road before hitting 12 hours combined.
And how many loaders work in your one belt building? Less than 10 total? Not enough extra people to replace him if he banged in the next day following an 18hr shift. We all don't work in the tiny BOG.