loader's boots confiscated

10_000_Rule

back in july i loaded a nonmarked hazmat in a trailer- mercury in a glass jar. the jar was broken and spilled on the floor of the trailer. mgmt evac'd the trailer but not the building. next day mgmt demanded my boots, gloves and pants ("contaminated") and promised me new boots plus reimbursement. Despite repeated requests from mgmt i have neither. what do i do? oh yeah they also offered to pay for me to get tested but absolutely wouldn't pay for 'treatment'

jaker

trolling
One get with your BA and tell them what happen and two you learned something you don't give them anything up front when they say they will reimburse you

over9five

Staff member
5muhg.jpg

C

chuchu

back in july i loaded a nonmarked hazmat in a trailer- mercury in a glass jar. the jar was broken and spilled on the floor of the trailer. mgmt evac'd the trailer but not the building. next day mgmt demanded my boots, gloves and pants ("contaminated") and promised me new boots plus reimbursement. Despite repeated requests from mgmt i have neither. what do i do? oh yeah they also offered to pay for me to get tested but absolutely wouldn't pay for 'treatment'
Google the osha office that has jurisdiction of your area and explain this whole deal to them. You may have to write a letter to them about these circumstances and you should sign it as well.

You are talking about your long term health issues....not a small thing. Do it ASAP.

over9five

Staff member
Google the osha office that has jurisdiction of your area and explain this whole deal to them. You may have to write a letter to them about these circumstances and you should sign it as well.

You are talking about your long term health issues....not a small thing. Do it ASAP.

And don't listen to UPS's threats. They WILL be paying for testing AND treatment.

C

chuchu

And don't listen to UPS's threats. They WILL be paying for testing AND treatment.
And possibly a fine for not reacting to the health risk...or initiating a proper cleanup.

If they retaliate against you in any way remind them of the "Whistleblower" clause. Get and record the osha agents name and phone number when you call.

C

chuchu

One get with your BA and tell them what happen and two you learned something you don't give them anything up front when they say they will reimburse you
You have to give up clothing in a contamination issue especially involving mercury.

They should have replaced (or reimbursed you for) your personal items immediately.

That's totally bull crap. Another "peon" treated like you don't matter.

C

chuchu

There was a mercury thermometer dropped in a grammar school classroom. I was told that the cleanup was well over $100,000.

I can't verify how factual those figures were, but I know its a big deal with mercury spills.

jaker

trolling
You have to give up clothing in a contamination issue especially involving mercury.

They should have replaced (or reimbursed you for) your personal items immediately.
I agree but they didnt take is stuff until the next day , so he went home with the contaminated items that right there is more of a issue

C

chuchu

I agree but they didnt take is stuff until the next day , so he went home with the contaminated items that right there is more of a issue
That really bad. Gonna have to rip up the flooring in his home? Or worse.

UPSGUY72

This happen in July and you haven't done anything in more than 5 months ??? Dude stand up for your rights Then next day you should have been in the office with your steward and if nothing was done that week the next week you should have called your BA.

You need to talk with your steward and or BA ASAP. Apparently you talking to management by yourself isn't working.

Indecisi0n

After they took your boots the next day I would shown up in white tennis shoes and said I can't afford boots. That way you get the money up front for your next boots.