Loaders/Smart Scan Technology

nystripe96

We just got the new smart scan technology in my center. Essentially now the scanner tells you when a missorted package comes into the trailer as soon as you scan the barcode. UPS implemented it this week and I absolutely hate it. Now the supes want us to scan at 500 pph because they say our job has become an unskilled job due to not having to worry about misloads any longer. I actually took satisfaction at having to be careful what I scanned. Now I just want to work slower because it truly has become mindless work and I actually feel more tired now. I feel as if Smart Scan Technology was made to make us feel as stupid as possible. And well..... It has :( Thanks UPS

nystripe96

Indeed. It essence it sounds great, no more misloads However; now I'm gonna pester them to put me up on the sort aisle because loading now is more of a mindless endeavor than it was before

Last edited:

iowa boy

nystripe,

Remember above all, the smart scanners are programmed by UPS (either by IE or the belt sups, not sure). There will be mistakes you will find. Keep scanning those labels to make sure they are right, as they will still hold you accountable if they see you had a misload even after this technology has been implemented.

nystripe96

The scanner will tell the loader right away if its a missort. You can't continue further scanning until you press the esc button

Hitmansocal

We just got the smart scan system in the Ontario, CA Air Hub...it's alright I guess, but then again, if you scan a missort you gotta take it out of the trailer, if left on the side (even tho your getting hit) it's considered a Missort

working up a sweat

I do 350 pph loading trailers. No Smart Scan yet here. They just installed Next Generation Small Sort(NGSS) in my hub. I still open every bag and do 3 to 5 check. I still find missorts in bags. Some people can't match where the blue lights light up and put the small in the proper hopper chute.

S

speeddemon

Thats 8.33 scans a minute. Your saying thats too much volume a minute? Come on man.

nystripe96

PPH is all relative. Box weight and size has a lot to do with it. Also, trailer dictation as well. End trailers should have higher PPH because there are fewer jams to break. My supes want over 300pph no matter what though. Smart scan doesn't make us load any faster. About 10% of labels need manual inputs now. It's a joke. 300pph, Gotta love quotas :/

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
dude your job just got a whole lot easier, and also results in better service for the customer and your fellow UPSers, turn your mind to doing the rest of your job well

also, don't worry about that 500pph bull****, just do your best and the PPH is your supes problem

anonymous4

The funny part is they then tell the sorters and unloaders they must also improve their pph because the loaders are loading faster (in theory). To have your heads so far up your ass....

Asinine

I can't stand it. It was new and flashy to start with, but everyone else is right. The job just got more boring, and even more glitchy.

nystripe96

Everyone's pph has gone down on my belt because there's nothing to think about except how tired we all are. I actually miss having to be careful what I scanned. Almost too much

L

Loufan

We got the smart scan months ago, the loaders go into the trucks and just load what they get. It's pretty sad because at the end of the night only a couple of them can throw up irregs because the rest don't know what goes in what trucks.

I remember when I loaded with the normal scanners I was pretty damn fast, but when they got the new smart scanners I might drop down from sort on occasion and load and i've realized they suck so bad. Every other box you have to type in the zip codes and there's no way you can do 500 an hour. Yeah you won't get misloads but you're not going to go much faster (at least with our smart scanners)

Try to sort, it's way more fun.