Loading feeder

Johnnyjet

I came on this board last month. I have been with UPS for almost a month package handling loading feeders. The scanners stink. But I am scanning and loading about 250-275 packages per hour. This is not good enough as they want between 300-350. Not sure I am going to make it and was told they might have to let me go if I can't get there. At 41 I do have 15-20 years on my most of my peers and sups. Just frustrating because I feel I am working my a** off but cannot physically achieve the number. And I am good shape. We'll see what happenes this week.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Take a moment either before or after the sort to ask your supervisor for advice as to what you can do to get those numbers to where they should be. Talk to your more experienced co-workers and ask their advice.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Just do the best you can and realize that as soon as you come close, or actually attain that goal, the bar will be raised. Concentrate on things you can control, like your attendence.

Indecisi0n

Do what the other loaders do, throw random packages all over the car. In no order and into the wrong truck. Happens to me everyday. :happy2:

kdogg788

I'm pretty new like you and last night I peaked at well over 400 with the rollers. A previous poster was dead on when they said the rules are relaxed when you are keeping a solid flow. The whole time I was hammering it, I never once saw the followup trainer around. My supervisor must have told him to take a walk while I was putting up boxes. You're right, bags always behind the walls, and get rid of them quick instead of saving them till the end. Someone said that's a bad habit to put them behind your wall but it is really the most efficient way. Don't get too caught up with making the so called "Perfect 10" wall. Sometimes you have to make due with what you're served down the belt. Also don't worry so much about getting it high and tight. Leave some space at the top to toss up bags and smalls into the gap. Some of the smalls are quite aerodynamic. I've had some of my best placements when they rebound off the top of the trailer. Hand to surface lasted about 2 nights for me. 200 or so per hour just isn't going to cut it when you're trying to get your numbers up. So far nothing but rollers for me but some extendo guys are insane here. I've heard of a guy who can throw up between 700 and 900 per hour with them. So keep going next next next and don't worry about fishing for the perfect package that will fill that gap just right. If you're messing with a box more than a couple seconds, it's wasted time.

-k

Johnnyjet

I was at 315 for Friday...my highest so far. They complimented my improvement. Last night I was busy but they moved me to another belt and spent a lot of time breaking jams and wasting time. When I went back to my usual area everything coming down the shoot was heavy and oversized so my numbers really didn't indicate how much I worked my ass off. Suddenly though I am feeling more comfortable. If they can keep me on a steady belt and no scanner problem I feel that I canget 350 soon.

kdogg788

The scanners here are junk also. Just stick with numbers that you know work. Fit your belt to yourself and safety pin it so it's tight and you don't have to mess with it. Stay hydrated and lift everything you can with your legs. Most other rules can be relaxed. The best numbers are when you are with one load but usually you'll bounce around. Doing bulk and internals just messes your numbers up though.

-k