Local 177 Retire Healthcare Coverage

InsideUPS

Just curious....how do you 177 employees feel about the $500,000 lifetime cap on retiree health coverage?

Retiree Health Care Benefits
Under the Western Region and 177 Plan, UPS Teamster retirees maintain coverage for:
Comprehensive Medical: After annual deductible of $200/person or $400/family is met, Plan pays 80% of all reasonable and customary charges for in-network medical services and 70% for out-of-network covered services, until out of pocket cap of $1,000 per person ($2,000 per family) is met. Once the cap is reached, Plan pays 100% of all reasonable and customary charges until lifetime maximum of $500,000 per person is reached.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just curious....how do you 177 employees feel about the $500,000 lifetime cap on retiree health coverage?

Under the Western Region and 177 Plan, UPS Teamster retirees maintain coverage for:
Comprehensive Medical: After annual deductible of $200/person or $400/family is met, Plan pays 80% of all reasonable and customary charges for in-network medical services and 70% for out-of-network covered services, until out of pocket cap of $1,000 per person ($2,000 per family) is met. Once the cap is reached, Plan pays 100% of all reasonable and customary charges until lifetime maximum of $500,000 per person is reached.

I would advise having you quadruple bypass prior to retirement.
I planned to do so but I never missed a beat.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I was under the impression that the ACA eliminated any and all lifetime caps for insurance plans, hence the elimination of lifetime caps for retirees under CS H&W. Does this not apply to Taft-Hartley plans?

The Milkman

So right now there goes $400 bucks out the window in deductibles which I did not have.. I paid 10% of what was approved charges..Example: I go for an MRI..est cost lets say $800 bucks, so 20% is $160.00... Current plan $800 bucks knocked down to $500 bucks..I pay 10% which is $50 bucks... My wife went to her back surgeon last week..Office visit $350...our cost $12.25....Yeah I see the difference....A Yes vote that all who did, will enjoy paying more down the road. More Profits for Ups = Less benefits for those who generated them. Yeah Good Deal:knockedout:

The Milkman

So right now there goes $400 bucks out the window in deductibles which I did not have.. I paid 10% of what was approved charges..Example: I go for an MRI..est cost lets say $800 bucks, so 20% is $160.00... Current plan $800 bucks knocked down to $500 bucks..I pay 10% which is $50 bucks... My wife went to her back surgeon last week..Office visit $350...our cost $12.25... so much for free maik order prescriptions and $5 name brand at CVS My hard earned benefits to carry me to 65 are getting weaker contract by contract.Yeah I see the difference....A Yes vote that all who did, will enjoy paying more down the road. More Profits for Ups = Less benefits for those who generated them. Yeah Good Deal:knockedout:

InsideUPS

I would advise having you quadruple bypass prior to retirement.
I planned to do so but I never missed a beat.

If you happen to be in the TeamCare retiree plan..... that has a $200,000 annual maximum... what you need to do is have half of the procedure completed (two arteries) done at a time. Or....have the procedure started at 11:00 pm on December 31st of any given year while completing the procedure on January 1st.

For some reason....I miss the days when you would get S&H Green Stamps with every fill up of gas.....that was done by an attendant....that also washed your windows...and checked your oil.

Squint

No more work for me!
I wrote to the "contact us" link on the L177 website asking specifically if current retirees will have any change in their benefits. As long as you retire before 01/01/14 you will be covered under the UPS plan and will see NO change in your benefits. So we are "grandfathered" in so to speak. Our monthly "dues" will stay at $50.00. Thanks to all in the SW and L177 for holding out and keeping my retirement safe and sound.

The Milkman

I wrote to the "contact us" link on the L177 website asking specifically if current retirees will have any change in their benefits. As long as you retire before 01/01/14 you will be covered under the UPS plan and will see NO change in your benefits. So we are "grandfathered" in so to speak. Our monthly "dues" will stay at $50.00. Thanks to all in the SW and L177 for holding out and keeping my retirement safe and sound.

If that is correct then my Thanks to The Local 177 team. Untill I get it in writing I will keep hopeing it is as you state it. $50 a month, zero $$ mail in Rx, $5.00 Brand at Wallgreens, No deductibles. Grandfathered in is the only fair way to go but in the long run Current employees will be paying when they hang it up and that my friend could only get worse down the road..:peaceful:

LagunaBrown

Like I said...... I would call the UPS plan for the UPS plan. Obviously her comment saying " . This Plan (meaning the Taft Hartly) is for those that retire on or after 1/1/14." Would make me double check with UPS for reassurance. But that's just me.

LagunaBrown

And the fact this is posted on the website in RED!

Retirement Benefits: The Teamsters Western Region 177 Retiree Health Plan will be available only for those individuals that retire on and after January 1st 2014. If you are already retired or plan on retiring before January 1, 2014, your retiree benefits will continue to be provided by UPS. Please contact them for more information.

The Milkman

Excellent.
Is that the same for all current non-management retirees across the country?

I believe Western and Local 177 only..I called 855-215-2039, asked specifically about my $50 a month, etc etc, her response...If you are now currently retired you will stay with the UPS insurance not the Teamsters plan and NOTHING changes, others affected retiring after January will be with the new Teamster plan..This is crazy, all these not sure about this not sure about that.....Lets get the record straight.:knockedout:

LagunaBrown

That number is NOT the UPS plan........ The correct number is 1-800-516-1270. If you are already retired or will be before January 1, 2014........Your retiree benefits will continue to be provided by UPS. Please contact them for more information

Last edited: