Local 2727 UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

airbusfxr

The hotline message stated that talks were not productive, even the Mediator was stunned. The company has offered for us to pay for health care, approx 400 bucks a month for singles, 800 bucks for a family, MORE subcontracting for China, Europe, and Mexico meaning more mechanics to be layed off due to more subcontracting, a 1% pay for all years that the contract will cover, and a small retro payment for the 4 years we have been without a contract. The Union has suggested that we take a "strike vote" (see RLA of 1929 for details) and start a public media campaign stating our struggle. Our pay raise would not cover our health care payment. How much does each driver pay a week for health care? The media blitz should start with ATL headquarters and Wall Street Journal (just like the pilots did) then branch out to other national media outlets. The talks are set for August 31 with the mediator and by then we should have more info.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The company has offered for us to pay for health care, approx 400 bucks a month for singles, 800 bucks for a family, MORE subcontracting for China, Europe, and Mexico meaning more mechanics to be laid off due to more subcontracting, a 1% pay for all years that the contract will cover, and a small retro payment for the 4 years we have been without a contract.

Welcome to the new world that everyone else in America lives in.
This ain't the 70's and the 80's - otherwise known as the good old days.
We were talking about this at a tennis match last week ... from the way everyone was talking, their disposable income has gone down in the last 15 years.

BrownBlue

New Jack
This is just how hardball, negotiations go. Company wants the moon, union wants the stars. Some where in the middle is grey nothingness that becomes an agreement. Fedex4life wouldn't understand he's never had a say in anything, just takes whatever cheese that crumbles from the moon. Buzz off fly.

FedEX 4 Life

This is just how hardball, negotiations go. Company wants the moon, union wants the stars. Some where in the middle is grey nothingness that becomes an agreement. Fedex4life wouldn't understand he's never had a say in anything, just takes whatever cheese that crumbles from the moon. Buzz off fly.
Sounds like i hit a nerve and all i said was ouch.

MobileBA

Listen teamsters and alpa members don't cross picket lines.........period. Even though times are different then a year ago the the people still know a wrong. Hang tough....I've walked one picket line before and will do it again.

airbusfxr

The strike vote only shows the unity of the membership. The Teamsters will then go to the big membership and show just cause that the aircraft mechanics cannot get a fair deal, then Hoffa will OK all Teamsters to honor the aircraft mechanics strike line. In '97 we honored the Big Teamsters (the pilots also shut down the airline) now we might have to ask you to support us. I dont think UPS would want a nationwide air and ground strike but remember if they are tell us we are going to pay for health care do you think your going to get it for free on your next contract. We are being layed off and subcontracting is being done overseas. We must make a stand or we will be run over by a big bully, remember you could be next. Would you like paying 400 bucks a month for health care?

705red

Browncafe Steward
The strike vote only shows the unity of the membership. The Teamsters will then go to the big membership and show just cause that the aircraft mechanics cannot get a fair deal, then Hoffa will OK all Teamsters to honor the aircraft mechanics strike line. In '97 we honored the Big Teamsters (the pilots also shut down the airline) now we might have to ask you to support us. I dont think UPS would want a nationwide air and ground strike but remember if they are tell us we are going to pay for health care do you think your going to get it for free on your next contract. We are being layed off and subcontracting is being done overseas. We must make a stand or we will be run over by a big bully, remember you could be next. Would you like paying 400 bucks a month for health care?
In order for us (ups teamsters) to honor your picket lines you will have to put up the line and man it with your mechanics. Since we are not on strike we could not run your line. However we will be more then glad to stand side by side with you.

airbusfxr

We will have a strike vote in August, go back into talks August 31, have the mediator try to get us free insurance, a raise, less subcontracting, and less lay offs. If not, then the IBT will inform UPS that we are in a "30 Day cooling off period" after that the President will either order us to work or strike around the first of December. Remember the RLA of 1929 (the same rules that FDX operates under) makes us work without a contract while the company operates without service interuptions. This is why UPS is wanting you to write letters to make FDX move from RLA to NLRB. We have been without a contract for 4 years and UPS wants us to give up insurance, raises, and subcontract more work to China and Mexico. We are asking for little but UPS is asking us to do something NO OTHER TEAMSTER does, PAY for insurance. If they make us pay, they will make you pay next.

unionman

We will have a strike vote in August, go back into talks August 31, have the mediator try to get us free insurance, a raise, less subcontracting, and less lay offs. If not, then the IBT will inform UPS that we are in a "30 Day cooling off period" after that the President will either order us to work or strike around the first of December. Remember the RLA of 1929 (the same rules that FDX operates under) makes us work without a contract while the company operates without service interuptions. This is why UPS is wanting you to write letters to make FDX move from RLA to NLRB. We have been without a contract for 4 years and UPS wants us to give up insurance, raises, and subcontract more work to China and Mexico. We are asking for little but UPS is asking us to do something NO OTHER TEAMSTER does, PAY for insurance. If they make us pay, they will make you pay next.
Im all for a strike as soon as possible.

unionman

In order for us (ups teamsters) to honor your picket lines you will have to put up the line and man it with your mechanics. Since we are not on strike we could not run your line. However we will be more then glad to stand side by side with you.
That will not be a problem. We will only need to form two lines to be effective. One in Louisville and one in Ontario.

705red

Browncafe Steward
That will not be a problem. We will only need to form two lines to be effective. One in Louisville and one in Ontario.
You will need alot more than 2 picket lines. UPS would be able to divert volume and aircraft away from those two locations. If it was me i would picket every air hub/gateway and every large package car center in each area.

unionman

You will need alot more than 2 picket lines. UPS would be able to divert volume and aircraft away from those two locations. If it was me i would picket every air hub/gateway and every large package car center in each area.
Almost all flights go through those two gateways, especially after IE consolidated the system to lay more pilots and mechanics off and make it look like there saving money when actually there leaving there reliability in jeopardy. And in the next day air business means everything. Believe me, we can do lots of damage at those two gateways alone.

ups767mech

As chairman of the strike commitee i asure you there will be more picket lines up than SDF and ONT. If it comes to that.

beentheredonethat

We are asking for little but UPS is asking us to do something NO OTHER TEAMSTER does, PAY for insurance. If they make us pay, they will make you pay next.
I think the company learned a lot from the last strike. I think they got caught with their pants down on the media front. I don't think they'll make that mistake again. I think they will take it to the public if a strike is possible. I think they'll show what the current rate is as compared to others with similar jobs (I believe UPS mechanics are still the highest paid). They'll also show your rate as compared to the average US worker. Will show that all the mgmt is paying for health care and asks the employees to share some of that cost. (Of which most folks in the private sector pays). I don't think you'll garnish support from the everyday person if they know what you make and then go on strike. Anyway's that's my two cents. BTW, what is your current pay rate? And how many hours do you work per week?

unionman

I think the company learned a lot from the last strike. I think they got caught with their pants down on the media front. I don't think they'll make that mistake again. I think they will take it to the public if a strike is possible. I think they'll show what the current rate is as compared to others with similar jobs (I believe UPS mechanics are still the highest paid). They'll also show your rate as compared to the average US worker. Will show that all the mgmt is paying for health care and asks the employees to share some of that cost. (Of which most folks in the private sector pays). I don't think you'll garnish support from the everyday person if they know what you make and then go on strike. Anyway's that's my two cents. BTW, what is your current pay rate? And how many hours do you work per week?

$26with 25 years of experience. 40 hours a week not to mention travel time. How much do you make and what exactly do you do for the company. Im criminally liable for my work and if I mess up thousands can die.

beentheredonethat

$26with 25 years of experience. 40 hours a week not to mention travel time. How much do you make and what exactly do you do for the company. Im criminally liable for my work and if I mess up thousands can die.

Before I answer, I have the feeling that you aren't comparing apples to apples. Are you at top wage with UPS? What is the top wage rate for an aircraft mechanic? Outside experience may get you in the door, but won't alter your pay rate. That's the wages I was talking about that UPS would use (or should use) in a media campaign. (IMO).

Status
Not open for further replies.