LOCAL 396 !

UpsAngel

I blame the union its their job to get people to come to the meeting and swear new members in. When they visit i never once seen them talking to a new guy. How are they supposed to become involved if you don't involve them?

AndUPSER

Only 38% voted on the contract. Which will have an impact,on their financial future.

how many will vote,for a union leader? The 5% that go to union meetings?

The last meeting I went to, 2 months ago, had 8 people from UPS. 6 feeder drivers, 1 22.3 employee, and 1 PTer, which was me. So that's less than 1% of UPSers in the local.

Vote? Or Who cares? Discuss.
Rons the best choice. He sits on the international. That's the best chance to help his members. Remember this. We should always be formost for keeping our members safe. As far as ups is concerned a guy with pull like Ron scares ups. He as the stroke with the international that gives ps fits and scared them from sending members to panel. Ron is an equalizer.

I blame the union its their job to get people to come to the meeting and swear new members in. When they visit i never once seen them talking to a new guy. How are they supposed to become involved if you don't involve them?

I disagree. We are each responsible for our own participation in all union activities. Most members tend to put union activities on the back burner while spending their time with their families who they seldom see. Unfortunately, those are the same members first to complain but never get themselves involved.

The last meeting I went to, 2 months ago, had 8 people from UPS. 6 feeder drivers, 1 22.3 employee, and 1 PTer, which was me. So that's less than 1% of UPSers in the local.

? I'm pretty sure your numbers are skewed. Perhaps it is because you do not know all members and your observation is based on those who you recognized.

UpsAngel

I don't understand, was there a voting booth outside in the parking lot?

At my hub there was a group of people from union taking votes outside the front door. Lots of drivers were involved cant say the same about the part-time employees tho.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
One of the biggest reasons for low participation in union business is the lack of participation in members interests by the local. Delays in returning phone calls, lack of presence on the shop floors and lack of access to key officers of the local leads to members losing interest of their own.

Additionally, location plays a huge part of participation. Typically, in 396, members from cerritos and San Gabriel are most likely to attend the meetings because they are closest to the union hall.

Back in 2002, we discussed (While I was a part of the H Adminstration) either building, or purchasing a building and making our own local Union Hall. In all the years since, its never happened. Relocating a new Local 396 Union Hall to a more centralized location would increase participation by UPSers and in coordination with Union activities (training and access to officers and agents) members would be more inclined to particpate.

Turned out, it was just talk.

If you want to get members involved, you have to have access, reliability and purpose.

Without all three, all you have are the members who take Union business personally and for personal gain.

The usual suspects are not the union, its the regular person who has to be attracted to the union world.

Convincing those people to participate is the key to turnout.

At a 396 meeting, the rows are filled with "raider nation" self proclaimed members and that is a huge turnoff to members who visit a meeting for the first time.

Its an ugly truth, but it has to be told.

TOS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

TOS, our local encompasses a large geographical area as well. It is a 3 hour drive between the furthest points. Union meetings are held near each of the 3 UPS centers within the local on a rotating basis.

I have a feeling with all of the recent firings and other crap that is going on attendance at the next meeting to be held locally will be higher than usual.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
TOS, our local encompasses a large geographical area as well. It is a 3 hour drive between the furthest points. Union meetings are held near each of the 3 UPS centers within the local on a rotating basis.

I have a feeling with all of the recent firings and other crap that is going on attendance at the next meeting to be held locally will be higher than usual.

Our local "rents" out another locals location, on the extreme end of our locals territory. For some members, its a two hour drive, for others its an hour and for some, its just a few minutes.

This drives down participation.

Its been discussed to move the meeting from one location to another to help members become involved, but as always, it turned out to be just talk.

TOS.