Local 89 Freddy

Jlandry

What is going on with the members in that Local? I saw videos and posts showing a big group of ups workers picketing the Local union and specifically calling out Zuckerman. Wow that can’t be good for Freddy since he is running for the number 2 spot in our union.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
What is going on with the members in that Local? I saw videos and posts showing a big group of ups workers picketing the Local union and specifically calling out Zuckerman. Wow that can’t be good for Freddy since he is running for the number 2 spot in our union.

What is going on.... without some video ?

:biggrin:

Jlandry

If you belong to the vote no page go on there then in The search at the top type in local 89. I was on the page but someone removed it. You can still see it if you do it through search. Not sure why it got removed except to keep Fred from looking bad. A member by the name of Chris Cummins posted it.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
If you belong to the vote no page go on there then in The search at the top type in local 89. I was on the page but someone removed it. You can still see it if you do it through search. Not sure why it got removed except to keep Fred from looking bad. A member by the name of Chris Cummins posted it.
Copy

meritocracy

They aren't "picketing his local" -- the local is picketing UPS to give seniority workers raises.
loc98.PNG

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Hey Hoofa jr., you suck like M. Daley

nWo

Looks like they all signed this petition on September 3rd. Did that get UPS to raise the wages above the contracted rate?

Satuirus2000

This was about getting everyone a wage increase. So it was more about the seniroty employees who have been here for 15 years now making the same as a new hire. Keep in mind also local 89 only did this when they found out people would be picketing on front of the local to protest them doing nothing about senior employees being left out again.

542thruNthru

This was about getting everyone a wage increase. So it was more about the seniroty employees who have been here for 15 years now making the same as a new hire. Keep in mind also local 89 only did this when they found out people would be picketing on front of the local to protest them doing nothing about senior employees being left out again.
Are you in local 89?

Satuirus2000

So you're saying there wasn't a picket line outside the local but there was supposed to be?
This is the sequence of events. In early July I believe, Worldport decided to increase everyone's wages to $16.50. If you were already above that you did not get a bonus or any kind of bump. Senior employees were of course pissed. Contractually people were only supposed to be at $15 come August 1st. Again, people were bumped up to $16.50 in July and then when August came around the company did not give those employees in progression their .50 raise. I guess reasoning that they already bumped them over that amount anyway. Those employees were furious so local 89 filed a lawsuit to force the company to give those employees their .50 on top of the $2.00 raise they had already received. Which is nice I guess but the union was only fighting for some employees and not all, which pissed off other senior employees.

In late August Worldport decides to bump everyone up to $20 an hour on days and $21 an hour for those on nights to take effect on Sept. 2nd. Again senior employees were pissed. It took some people 15 years to get that and now a new hire off the street will make the same as them. Also keep in mind new hires in the past have gotten attendance bonuses etc that have totaled 150 to 200 a week, which again seniority employees have never seen. Once veterans found out about that increase and there was still silence from the union for weeks about them helping older employees, it was decided to picket the local 89 union house on Sept 4th, 2 days after the new wages went into effect. This was decided in late August. Once local 89 got wind of that, they "suddenly" decided to "fight" for their other seniority employees and came out one whole day to collect signatures on Sept 3rd to increase wages for ALL. They got afraid and underestimated the anger of the older veterans who have seen NOTHING from this company to reward them for their years of service. Instead they keep throwing things at newbies who probably won't even be there next year. The protest in front of the union hall still happened on Sept 4th though and I 100% guarantee you that was the only reason the local decided to come out and "fight" for the rest of their employees.

The company at Worldport gave bonuses or a percentage bump increase for their senior supervisors that were over $20 an hour. Again, rewarding their senior supervisors, but ignoring their senior workers who have been here for years and never seen a bonus or anything of the sort. It really is shameful how pathetic the union has been.

542thruNthru

August came around the company did not give those employees in progression their .50 raise. I guess reasoning that they already bumped them over that amount anyway. Those employees were furious so local 89 filed a lawsuit to force the company to give those employees their .50 on top of the $2.00 raise they had already received.
Local 89 won that lawsuit? So the members were given their raises on top of the bump?
In late August Worldport decides to bump everyone up to $20 an hour on days and $21 an hour for those on nights to take effect on Sept. 2nd. Again senior employees were pissed. It took some people 15 years to get that and now a new hire off the street will make the same as them. Also keep in mind new hires in the past have gotten attendance bonuses etc that have totaled 150 to 200 a week, which again seniority employees have never seen. Once veterans found out about that increase and there was still silence from the union for weeks about them helping older employees, it was decided to picket the local 89 union house on Sept 4th, 2 days after the new wages went into effect. This was decided in late August. Once local 89 got wind of that, they "suddenly" decided to "fight" for their other seniority employees and came out one whole day to collect signatures on Sept 3rd to increase wages for ALL. They got afraid and underestimated the anger of the older veterans who have seen NOTHING from this company to reward them for their years of service. Instead they keep throwing things at newbies who probably won't even be there next year. The protest in front of the union hall still happened on Sept 4th though and I 100% guarantee you that was the only reason the local decided to come out and "fight" for the rest of their employees.

The company at Worldport gave bonuses or a percentage bump increase for their senior supervisors that were over $20 an hour. Again, rewarding their senior supervisors, but ignoring their senior workers who have been here for years and never seen a bonus or anything of the sort. It really is shameful how pathetic the union has been.
So there was a picket at local 89. Interesting, some on here are saying there wasn't.

Thank you for the info.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
This is the sequence of events. In early July I believe, Worldport decided to increase everyone's wages to $16.50. If you were already above that you did not get a bonus or any kind of bump. Senior employees were of course pissed. Contractually people were only supposed to be at $15 come August 1st. Again, people were bumped up to $16.50 in July and then when August came around the company did not give those employees in progression their .50 raise. I guess reasoning that they already bumped them over that amount anyway. Those employees were furious so local 89 filed a lawsuit to force the company to give those employees their .50 on top of the $2.00 raise they had already received. Which is nice I guess but the union was only fighting for some employees and not all, which pissed off other senior employees.

[/QU

That is why you vote in these contracts...even the Company knew that they would have a retention problem with the starting wages spelled out in the Contract, hence these attendance bonuses. This was going on before the last Contract, why didn’t your part timers in your large local turn up and voted that the sucker down. Everybody who cared knew that we were being sold down the river with our GWIs let alone the 22.4 concessions.

Just how many senior part timers in your building signed up for those 22.4 positions, my guess none. Most were hired off the street.

Unfortunately for every part timer the writing is on the wall, you don’t mount to a hill of beans to the Company and the Union because most do not participate in Union affairs. It is a full timer’s Union anyway, this coming from somebody who started out part time.

See Above .. 🔝

Satuirus2000

No, the lawsuit is still ongoing but I don't see it going anywhere. Keep in mind that the company already had employees at $16.50, which was $1.50 more than they would have been on August 1st had the MRA rates not gone into effect since those employees would have only been at $15 after receiving their .50 progression raise. So the union basically wanted the company to double dip and move them to $17 an hour. This was all filed before the company decided a few weeks later to bump everyone up to $20 or $21 an hour. So in the span of 1 month and a half, new employees and those with 5 or less years of seniority got a $5.50 cent raise! So with this ongoing lawsuit, there is no way the union or the company can or should give progression employees their .50 cent progression raise on top of that because then employees who have been here for less than a month would make more than an employee who has been there for 15 years! So that lawsuit is dead on arrival as of right now. If these MRAS go away in January like they are supposed to, then the union might have a leg to stand on, but as of right now fighting to get those employees an extra .50 on top of what they currently make would be wrong and a slap in the face to every other seniority employee. No way should they make MORE than a 15 year veteran.

542thruNthru

That is why you vote in these contracts...even the Company knew that they would have a retention problem with the starting wages spelled out in the Contract, hence these attendance bonuses. This was going on before the last Contract, why didn’t your part timers in your large local turn up and voted that the sucker down. Everybody who cared knew that we were being sold down the river with our GWIs let alone the 22.4 concessions.

Just how many senior part timers in your building signed up for those 22.4 positions, my guess none. Most were hired off the street.

Unfortunately for every part timer the writing is on the wall, you don’t mount to a hill of beans to the Company and the Union because most do not participate in Union affairs. It is a full timer’s Union anyway, this coming from somebody who started out part time.
Fixed it for you @DELACROIX

Come on rookie!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
No, the lawsuit is still ongoing but I don't see it going anywhere. Keep in mind that the company already had employees at $16.50, which was $1.50 more than they would have been on August 1st had the MRA rates not gone into effect since those employees would have only been at $15 after receiving their .50 progression raise. So the union basically wanted the company to double dip and move them to $17 an hour. This was all filed before the company decided a few weeks later to bump everyone up to $20 or $21 an hour. So in the span of 1 month and a half, new employees and those with 5 or less years of seniority got a $5.50 cent raise! So with this ongoing lawsuit, there is no way the union or the company can or should give progression employees their .50 cent progression raise on top of that because then employees who have been here for less than a month would make more than an employee who has been there for 15 years! So that lawsuit is dead on arrival as of right now. If these MRAS go away in January like they are supposed to, then the union might have a leg to stand on, but as of right now fighting to get those employees an extra .50 on top of what they currently make would be wrong and a slap in the face to every other seniority employee. No way should they make MORE than a 15 year veteran.
This is why an actual pt progression and full scale would be nice.