Local accident

Dan, you and I and Tie are looking at it with experience and common sense. Unfortunately the ones making the decisions,at least at the barns in my area are not.

Maybe I should have worded my first post as "If this driver were in my area he would be charged with at least an avoidable"

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Absolutely. And that will continue until we get a different type of management style. One that does not dictate from the top, but instead allows the business go grow from the bottom up, not top down.

Ah the power of 400,000 strong, instead of 1500.

d

tieguy

Banned
Absolutely. And that will continue until we get a different type of management style. One that does not dictate from the top, but instead allows the business go grow from the bottom up, not top down.

Ah the power of 400,000 strong, instead of 1500.

d

There is a certain fanaticism with this issue that has gotten even stronger.
The intent to learn from each accident and learn how to avoid each one is a noble one. The process should be honest and credible.

The practice of judging every thing that happens avoidable and blaming the driver can destroy that credibility.

From what I've seen about a third of all accidents tend to be deemed unavoidable.

Hangingon

Had an accident last year. The center where it happened came out and told me it was unavoidable. The sups and safety committee in my center told me it was unavoidable, then I found out during the safety phone call DM decided it was avoidable and i was charged.
/Shrug, I did my best at the time and have pretty much decided that it's all lip service so why care?

M

Mike23

I think it's because the center manager gets a bonus out of it somehow. My sup asked him if it was avoidable and he said yes. Therefore I surmised as such since there was no logical way it was avoidable since I wasn't even in the damn car AND hadn't backed up but was infront of a dock and the guy had to back up around 50 ft to hit me.

I think it's because the center manager gets a bonus out of it somehow. My sup asked him if it was avoidable and he said yes. Therefore I surmised as such since there was no logical way it was avoidable since I wasn't even in the damn car AND hadn't backed up but was infront of a dock and the guy had to back up around 50 ft to hit me.

They could say,and probably did,that if you were in the proper spot you may have been missed. Nowadays they say you "contributed" to the accident. They tried to nail me on one of those last fall.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Whether or not an accident is deemed to be "avoidable" has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not it was actually the drivers fault, or for that matter whether or not an accident even occured.

I was once charged with an "avoidable" accident because there was a big scratch on my package car. I have no idea where or when it happened; neither did management; but it was there, so someone had to be "charged" with it. This is part of the reason why I have a hard time taking anything UPS says about safety very seriously.

M

Mike23

Whether or not an accident is deemed to be "avoidable" has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not it was actually the drivers fault, or for that matter whether or not an accident even occured.

I was once charged with an "avoidable" accident because there was a big scratch on my package car. I have no idea where or when it happened; neither did management; but it was there, so someone had to be "charged" with it. This is part of the reason why I have a hard time taking anything UPS says about safety very seriously.

Of course you did it! Admit it! *bright light shining in your eyes* You can make aaaaaall the pain go away if you admit it now! You know that WE know where you live, right? :biting:

iowa boy

Of course you did it! Admit it! *bright light shining in your eyes* You can make aaaaaall the pain go away if you admit it now! You know that WE know where you live, right? :biting:

No, they won't go to his house and get him, they will just wait 'til he comes back to work and they will take away his safe driving award and postpone his circle of honor achievement for a couple more years.:happy-very: