Local Sort Evening Class scheduling conflict. Looking for advice.

izayuhgawd

So here's a fun issue. I'm a local sort package handler/clerk trainee. I am also going to school to be a pharmacy technician. I found out back in the winter semester that I was going to have a friday night class (which I am currently sitting in) during the spring semester. I told my immediate supervisor about this, and we set up a standing night off for me on fridays. I'm now nearly halfway through the spring semester, and as I'm getting ready to go to class tonight I receive a call from work. My immediate supervisor is on vacation, and our center manager is also away this week, so we have an on road supervisor filling in at the center. He asks why I'm not at work, and I inform him of the arrangement to accommodate my class. He informs me that he was not informed of this arrangement and that he doesn't know why my immediate supervisor would set such a thing up. He says "We can't have standing days off like that. We need people to work 5 days a week, not 4." He informs me that we'll have to revisit this issue.

So here's where I'm at. We have enough people on the sort that those of us with sufficient seniority end up getting a night off every week anyway. Like I said, I'm nearly halfway through the semester and this is only just now a problem. On top of that, I had a similar scheduling issue last semester that was never a problem. As far as I can tell it's only a problem tonight due to multiple people having scheduled vacations for this week. However, judging by what I was told on the phone tonight, it looks like i'm possibly facing the choice between the class (which I need to finish the course) and the job (which I need for the health insurance). Anyone got any advice?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So here's a fun issue. I'm a local sort package handler/clerk trainee. I am also going to school to be a pharmacy technician. I found out back in the winter semester that I was going to have a friday night class (which I am currently sitting in) during the spring semester. I told my immediate supervisor about this, and we set up a standing night off for me on fridays. I'm now nearly halfway through the spring semester, and as I'm getting ready to go to class tonight I receive a call from work. My immediate supervisor is on vacation, and our center manager is also away this week, so we have an on road supervisor filling in at the center. He asks why I'm not at work, and I inform him of the arrangement to accommodate my class. He informs me that he was not informed of this arrangement and that he doesn't know why my immediate supervisor would set such a thing up. He says "We can't have standing days off like that. We need people to work 5 days a week, not 4." He informs me that we'll have to revisit this issue.

So here's where I'm at. We have enough people on the sort that those of us with sufficient seniority end up getting a night off every week anyway. Like I said, I'm nearly halfway through the semester and this is only just now a problem. On top of that, I had a similar scheduling issue last semester that was never a problem. As far as I can tell it's only a problem tonight due to multiple people having scheduled vacations for this week. However, judging by what I was told on the phone tonight, it looks like i'm possibly facing the choice between the class (which I need to finish the course) and the job (which I need for the health insurance). Anyone got any advice?

Yeah after this week we're gonna need you for 5 days

Indecisi0n

Hi

watdaflock?

In other words, your fill-in supervisor is an A-hole while the immediate is reasonable. Sounds like normal UPS management procedure to me.

Another crazy idea, maybe also talk with your school professor. See if they'd allow you to miss or attend a different Friday class. Friday is a lecture and not some lab class, what I'm thinking......GL.

LeaveIt2Griever

FileFileFile
You'll be fine. You should have just told the on-road you need to use a sick day if you knew they'd be gone by next week anyway.

You kind of threw your sup and center manager under the bus, but i honestly doubt the fill-in would care enough to make an issue about it.

dudebro

It's nice to have that flexibility. I'm sure Friday's local sort volume is lower than Monday, and the availability is usually better because drivers look to start their weekend, so the local sort will not need as many people.

The only problem is, now, that local sort has set a precedent. The operation allows local sort employees to work a 4-day week, without discipline.

When another employee wants an arrangement like this, he or she can point to the fact that the operation accommodates other employees with a similar situation. And if the operation refuses to offer the accommodation equally, the employee may have grounds to say that it's because of some type of discrimination.

dudebro

In other words, your fill-in supervisor is an A-hole while the immediate is reasonable. Sounds like normal UPS management procedure to me.

In other words, the words in the contract and the law that matter, the fill-in supervisor understands that the local sort is setting a precedent that exposes the company to liability, and the immediate supervisor isn't thinking like management, just getting by day to day and hoping people like him/her.

watdaflock?

In other words, the words in the contract and the law that matter, the fill-in supervisor understands that the local sort is setting a precedent that exposes the company to liability, and the immediate supervisor isn't thinking like management, just getting by day to day and hoping people like him/her.
Maybe OP is a hell of an employee and the real sup does not want to lose him, yet.

LeadBelly

Banned

Do by talk to that supervisor if you can and just deal with the one who made the commitment. The class is leading you out of here so I would call off the remaining Friday's and let the discipline process play out. It will take them a while to go through this and can be explained at hearing if need be.