Looking for advice one last time...

scrltrider

I went on the tour today, had an interview afterwards, which I felt really good about, maybe naive on my part I realize.

Anyway, I went in for the position of package handler, which is a permanent position. I was told about the position of seasonal Coordinator Helper. I expressed my reservations as it's a seasonal job but was told it was a way to get my foot in the door and if they liked me & vice versa we could look into something permanent.

They are running my background check (24/48 hours). I was told to think about things and when I'm contacted we can discuss things further.

My background: female, 44, Bachelors Degree.

I would prefer the package handler position, 1. it's permanent not seasonal 2. I was really looking forward to the physical aspects of the position...I really don't want to sit behind a computer again 3. I feel strongly about working your way from the ground up

The question is, how do I let them know this without sounding ungrateful? I had the feeling I was being pushed towards the coordinator helper position and the phrase "It's a way to get your foot in the door" (said a couple of times) makes me think I don't have a shot at package handler...

I apologize for the long post, hope I'm not raked over the coals too much!

Thank you!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
We had a 20+ year OMS who started as a helper co-ordinator. Of course, it involves sitting in front of a computer.

scrltrider

I don't think I'd be good in management, I'm a really, really nice person and would have a really hard time "laying it out" for someone. Ex. There was someone who showed up late for our tour and was told they are welcome to go home. I understand why but I couldn't have done that.

Not saying management people are not nice, but they have to be hard sometimes. That's not in me...

thebrown1

The reason they are pushing you towards management is because you have a degree already. I am in the same boat with the exception that my PT supervisor job is permanent as of right now. I wanted to do Handler and or Driver and they saw that I had been in school and pretty much wanted me to go for the Sup position.
It was put to me like this. UPS wants to have something that separates the workers from the management. That separation would be college education or about to finish your college education.

Whether this philosophy works or not is yet to be seen (I know some here would say otherwise and that it does not work) I can see it from both angles and say do what you feel is right for your situation.

upschuck

My guess is that with your age, they are trying to direct you into an easier job. I would reassure them that you are looking forward to the physical aspect of the job, and will last long after the temp position will be over, and that they can count on you being a long term employee.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I don't think I'd be good in management, I'm a really, really nice person and would have a really hard time "laying it out" for someone. Ex. There was someone who showed up late for our tour and was told they are welcome to go home. I understand why but I couldn't have done that.

Not saying management people are not nice, but they have to be hard sometimes. That's not in me...
The two people who were last peaks Helper Coordinators were rehired after peak as PT sups. Take the seasonal position if you'd like...if you hate it, it's a temp job. But by offering you that position...they basically are telling you they probably won't hire you as a package handler.

scrltrider

My guess is that with your age, they are trying to direct you into an easier job.

The reason they are pushing you towards management is because you have a degree already.

Yeah, quite frankly since the others in our tour were young men I was afraid my age + gender and possibly education was going to play against me for package handler. I stated that I wasn't afraid to get sweaty and dirty and work really hard, I just don't know quite how to reiterate all that without sounding completely ungrateful. And I'm afraid it's take the other position or nothing....

upschuck

Yeah, quite frankly since the others in our tour were young men I was afraid my age + gender and possibly education was going to play against me for package handler. I stated that I wasn't afraid to get sweaty and dirty and work really hard, I just don't know quite how to reiterate all that without sounding completely ungrateful. And I'm afraid it's take the other position or nothing....

Can't discriminate against your age. Especially now, if you say you can do it, you will get hired.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
@scrltrider You should take the coordinator position. This will be a great opportunity to get your foot in the door. There are more jobs than package handler and supervisor. Not every 'management' position involves firing people.

Your body will thank you.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
That's how I was reading that as well.....ugh.
Even if you're hired as a package handler now...they can cut you loose after peak and you'd be in the same position as you would be if you took the other job. I'd get my foot in the.door first. Management could recommend you for a permanent position after peak.

McGee

Permanent sounds like you would have your 'foot in the door' a lot easier, and like you said, you are tired of sitting behind a computer.... Just my opinion....

McGee

Even if you're hired as a package handler now...they can cut you loose after peak and you'd be in the same position as you would be if you took the other job. I'd get my foot in the.door first. Management could recommend you for a permanent position after peak.

Even if you're permanent??