Looking for advice

Harmon209

i worked peak here in Ontario CA, got hired on now offered a supervisor position. I understand I will no longer be in the union, is it worth it? Pros and cons between union and supervisor? Thank you for any input.

AlliSeeisBrown

The duck lips will get you a long way in management if you decide to go that route.

On a real note, depends what you want to do. PT supe I've heard is dead end unless you're really willing to stick it out. If you're wanting to drive then stick with handling and sign every bid sheet that comes out for it. If you don't know where to find those, just ask.

Are you planning on going to college or are you already in college? If so, hmu, and stick to the handling so you can reap tuition assistance.

rod

Retired 22 years
i worked peak here in Ontario CA, got hired on now offered a supervisor position. I understand I will no longer be in the union, is it worth it? Pros and cons between union and supervisor? Thank you for any input.

You're going to have to put on a tougher looking face than that.

jaker

trolling
Don't you think it's odd that someone so new that they ask them to become a sup

Box Ox

Seen a lotta female hires comes and go (quit), or go into management. The few who stay union hourly/become drivers tend to be badasses that are just as good as the guys. Just depends on where you see yourself. Sounds like they're doing the usual "hook 'em before they know better" routine.

Hourly work can be physically tough sometimes, but probably not nearly as routinely soul crushing as management can be.

jaker

trolling
Ontario is a very big place even being a sup you are still just a number there

What sort are you working and if you go what sort will they put you on and also realize they can move you to any sort once you become a sup

Duckwithapipboy

Also remember that they require supers to come in earlier and stay later than posted start times for that sort by at least 45 minutes, so if that doesn't work into your schedule...

I would stick it out and package handle longer. If you do decide to sell your soul then you at least have more experience as an hourly that most supers never have. Also if by some weird quirk of fate you get placed as a load belt super then that experience will come in handy. We've had new PT supers come in fresh from UP-School trying to run a belt from out of the handbook and get eviscerated by their own people.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Management eats their own .
Sadly its true .
For the sake of your own sanity avoid going into mgt until you understand the downsides of such a decision .

barnyard

KTM rider
If you think a supe path is the path you think matches, stay hourly for a year or 2, learn the job and watch what makes good supes, good. Right now, almost all of our PT supes were hourlies. This is almost a complete turnaround from 15ish years ago, when many of our PT supes were off the street hires.

It does seem that the preload is running quite a bit smoother with all the former pt people running the show.

P

pickup

Also remember that they require supers to come in earlier and stay later than posted start times for that sort by at least 45 minutes, so if that doesn't work into your schedule...

I would stick it out and package handle longer. If you do decide to sell your soul then you at least have more experience as an hourly that most supers never have. Also if by some weird quirk of fate you get placed as a load belt super then that experience will come in handy. We've had new PT supers come in fresh from UP-School trying to run a belt from out of the handbook and get eviscerated by their own people.

Yeah everything he said. The option to become a pt sup will always be there so you don't have to choose now.