Looking for boxline tips

SpeedyLoader

I started loading 8 months ago and trained on a straight belt. I was pretty efficient at it and never stacked out, got my work done in time and my drivers were happy about their loads. During peak season they moved us to a older hub and I had to load off a boxline. I quickly found that loading from a belt and boxline are two totally different animals. I would consider myself one of the best loaders in the building just from the simple fact that I pull as much volume as old heads who have been loading 15+ yrs. I've read some threads on here about loading from a boxline and how stacking out is unsafe but sometimes I can't help it. If I do stack I do it neatly so I can clean up fast when I have light cages but the end of the day is the worst. They send 15-20 smalls in cages, some letters, some boxes. I work ahead of my trucks and sort the cages but I still seem to get blown out at the end of the day. I'm just curious, is that my fault or is it just unload that causes that. I pull every package and properly load it until about 8:15 then the smalls come and I feel like I'm drowning. The supervisors are of course breathing down your throat to hurry and get the packages in the cars but I can only work so fast. Do you guys have any tips for me? Thanks guys and have a great day

P.S. On a light day my volume is 750-850, heavy days are 1000-1250

km3

It has nothing to do with the unload. By this point in your day, the unload (except maybe an air trailer or two), should have been finished for a while already. If your building is run like mine, it has more to do with the fact that, even though small sort will fill some bags for specific cages, the supervisors on the charge aisle won't allow their employees to charge the entire bags. They have to dump them on the slide, then charge. You get hit nearer to the end because that's about the time that small sort goes down, and they throw everything they have on the belt.

Tips? Don't stress out about it. Just focus on not getting any misloads, and building a good load for the driver.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
After peak, I would hope that it would feel less stressful with less volume.
Don't write numbers on the smalls. Just put them (toss them) where they're suppose to be.
The drivers will find them. You should be able to speed through when the smalls hit you.

SpeedyLoader

It has nothing to do with the unload. By this point in your day, the unload (except maybe an air trailer or two), should have been finished for a while already. If your building is run like mine, it has more to do with the fact that, even though small sort will fill some bags for specific cages, the supervisors on the charge aisle won't allow their employees to charge the entire bags. They have to dump them on the slide, then charge. You get hit nearer to the end because that's about the time that small sort goes down, and they throw everything they have on the belt.

Tips? Don't stress out about it. Just focus on not getting any misloads, and building a good load for the driver.
I pride myself on building a good load for the driver. I never listen to supervisors. For the most part supervisors don't care about load quality as bad is that sounds. This peak was my second year driver helping and I know how much the load effects the drivers day. I one day would like to be a driver so I try to build a load I would deliver on. Our hub has recently started using scanners for the loaders which cuts down missloads but they're annoying to deal with and cuts productivity. Funny story, a cover supervisor was helping me clean my egress during peak and I heard the alarm go off on his belt and sure enough, a mislead was on my chart the next day. Crazy stuff!