Looking for "jump start" guidance

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
Hey guys, I haven't been on here in quite some time, and I'm looking for a little tutelage to make my stewardship more effective.
My reader's digest version is---I came from a large trucking company that got acquired by a larger scummy trucking company, that destroyed us financially and "reputationally," if that's a word, LOL. Let's just say the larger scummy company is a bunch of YELLOW bellies. It comes with tons of stories, but among other things, the final straw was getting us to vote for pension freezes with the empty promise of returning pension participation 2 years down the road. 2 years later, "oh sorry we can't afford it." Big surprise?? Not really.

So getting "kicked out" of the West Coast Pension Trust led me to consider employment at UPS. Since I had a heartbeat and a social security number, naturally they scooped me up. Being an active union member and steward at my previous job, I knew I was in for a rough ride, but little did I know the crap I took in trucking, was just a warmup for what UPS had in store for me...

So next month, as I hit five years at Big Brown, I find my self tired of getting my ass handed to me with management's excuses that downplay whatever situation I bring to them. What I'm trying to accomplish with this thread, is finding an inside steward who knows how to apply the rules, and most importantly where they are. The vast majority of the time, I hear "its in the contract," and I can't take that into a meeting or an investigation. I need to know where it is and how WE (as Teamsters) interpret that. I'm nearly sure that if there's a conflict of interpretation, there's been a ruling at the local, regional, or national level that will settle it.
Through networking and knowing what is in the contract, and where it is, I will need less and less guidance. I came from a regional white paper 44 page contract, and for the time being, this contract is a little overwhelming.

So if you're willing to help a brother out, please feel free to message me, as I'm looking to grow some bite behind my bark to be more effective in my role as a steward. I just want to be counted on by my members as someone who can be counted on for representation in a knowledgeable and responsible manner. After all, somehow my big mouth got me voted in to this position by my co-workers.
So if you've gotten all the way to the end of my ramblings, thanks for taking time to read this.

LeadBelly

Banned
Hey guys, I haven't been on here in quite some time, and I'm looking for a little tutelage to make my stewardship more effective.
My reader's digest version is---I came from a large trucking company that got acquired by a larger scummy trucking company, that destroyed us financially and "reputationally," if that's a word, LOL. Let's just say the larger scummy company is a bunch of YELLOW bellies. It comes with tons of stories, but among other things, the final straw was getting us to vote for pension freezes with the empty promise of returning pension participation 2 years down the road. 2 years later, "oh sorry we can't afford it." Big surprise?? Not really.

So getting "kicked out" of the West Coast Pension Trust led me to consider employment at UPS. Since I had a heartbeat and a social security number, naturally they scooped me up. Being an active union member and steward at my previous job, I knew I was in for a rough ride, but little did I know the crap I took in trucking, was just a warmup for what UPS had in store for me...

So next month, as I hit five years at Big Brown, I find my self tired of getting my ass handed to me with management's excuses that downplay whatever situation I bring to them. What I'm trying to accomplish with this thread, is finding an inside steward who knows how to apply the rules, and most importantly where they are. The vast majority of the time, I hear "its in the contract," and I can't take that into a meeting or an investigation. I need to know where it is and how WE (as Teamsters) interpret that. I'm nearly sure that if there's a conflict of interpretation, there's been a ruling at the local, regional, or national level that will settle it.
Through networking and knowing what is in the contract, and where it is, I will need less and less guidance. I came from a regional white paper 44 page contract, and for the time being, this contract is a little overwhelming.

So if you're willing to help a brother out, please feel free to message me, as I'm looking to grow some bite behind my bark to be more effective in my role as a steward. I just want to be counted on by my members as someone who can be counted on for representation in a knowledgeable and responsible manner. After all, somehow my big mouth got me voted in to this position by my co-workers.
So if you've gotten all the way to the end of my ramblings, thanks for taking time to read this.
Have you started with your local union, and business agents?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

UPS Agreements, 2013 – 2018

I read this when I take a dump. You will eventually start memorizing more of it than you think you can.

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
UPS Agreements, 2013 – 2018

I read this when I take a dump. You will eventually start memorizing more of it than you think you can.
Thank you trip
Memorizing the words is not nearly as important to me as knowing how to interpret it and apply it.
Although I do know some stuff that I have to keep going back to like article 37, which always seems to go nowhere.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
One of your biggest hurdles is getting your brothers and sisters to follow the contract and go to Union meetings.

It's much easier to put up a good fight when the members are strong and stick together.
I am trying to do this for two years. Like pulling teeth with some of these guys. Like you can't make it to one meeting a year? Then STFU please about your dispatch and harassment.

I am trying to do this for two years. Like pulling teeth with some of these guys. Like you can't make it to one meeting a year? Then STFU please about your dispatch and harassment.
It's truly sad. They try to keep the meetings short. They always have coffee and donuts, sometimes food. And somebody always has some beer afterwards.
We have parking lot meetings before and after work sometimes and the meetings are always announced before the PCM. Plus several of us send out group texts. Don't know what else to do .

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
One of your biggest hurdles is getting your brothers and sisters to follow the contract and go to Union meetings.

It's much easier to put up a good fight when the members are strong and stick together.
You are spot on with both statements.
As far as union meetings, we only have about 6 a year, because we have a statewide local, so the others are held in the other two "big cities."
In my 5 years of going to meetings, I have gotten one member to attend a couple times, and that's because I picked him up along the way, however I think he would go on his own now if he wasn't a Sat air driver.
As for the solidarity issue, I believe that the PT language is weaker than the FT language, which cause much discord and complaints about the job, and more so amongst each other. The largest group of PTers seems to be the younglings, which as we all know is a group who only care about the money, and they haven't seen examples of solidarity, and how it can bond a group. I would guess one would need small victories to show how using the language to our advantage would show people little by little, and get them to believe.

You are spot on with both statements.
As far as union meetings, we only have about 6 a year, because we have a statewide local, so the others are held in the other two "big cities."
In my 5 years of going to meetings, I have gotten one member to attend a couple times, and that's because I picked him up along the way, however I think he would go on his own now if he wasn't a Sat air driver.
As for the solidarity issue, I believe that the PT language is weaker than the FT language, which cause much discord and complaints about the job, and more so amongst each other. The largest group of PTers seems to be the younglings, which as we all know is a group who only care about the money, and they haven't seen examples of solidarity, and how it can bond a group. I would guess one would need small victories to show how using the language to our advantage would show people little by little, and get them to believe.
They do care when they get into trouble.

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
They do care when they get into trouble.
Most definitely, I'm in one of the "open shop" states, where you don't have to join the union. I know it's not the proper use of the term, but I tells the scabs, "someday you'll need me, and on a totally unrelated subject, .....you get what you pay for don't you?"
That absolves me of responsibility in case I'm not "feeling well" that day, and I'm not able to quite put forth my best representation effort.

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
We have parking lot meetings before and after work sometimes and the meetings are always announced before the PCM.
I actuallly just processed this in my brain. You're actually allowed to announce a union meeting before/after a PCM? No union talk on company time here. We have a PCM after break, and only on Fridays, and MAYBE once a month at that. Must be when they have something important to them

I actuallly just processed this in my brain. You're actually allowed to announce a union meeting before/after a PCM? No union talk on company time here. We have a PCM after break, and only on Fridays, and MAYBE once a month at that. Must be when they have something important to them
Right before the PCM, just say I have an announcement to make. You aren't on the clock yet.

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
Right before the PCM, just say I have an announcement to make. You aren't on the clock yet.
PCMs are right after break here (once again, when we're fortunate enough to get one), and they consider us on the clock, as we're not allowed to leave the building. That was a new order barked out after a theft ring was busted last fall.

10 Pt

PCMs are right after break here (once again, when we're fortunate enough to get one), and they consider us on the clock, as we're not allowed to leave the building. That was a new order barked out after a theft ring was busted last fall.
So you're part time?