Looking for RTD CDL advice

Csdsm18

Hello all you RTD drivers, I'm a pt pm courier up in the east coast for about 3yrs now. Recently obtained my cdl permit. Looking at driving the tractor trailers. Can one give me advice on it? What kind of hours are you getting, how long did it take you to go from pt to ft, home life, schedule, pay, good career choice if one stayed with the company? I'm in my late 20s just looking for pointers. Like the company never had a issue in the 3yrs I've been with them. I know a lot has changed in the years. Just looking for friendly advice. Thanks

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Hello all you RTD drivers, I'm a pt pm courier up in the east coast for about 3yrs now. Recently obtained my cdl permit. Looking at driving the tractor trailers. Can one give me advice on it? What kind of hours are you getting, how long did it take you to go from pt to ft, home life, schedule, pay, good career choice if one stayed with the company? I'm in my late 20s just looking for pointers. Like the company never had a issue in the 3yrs I've been with them. I know a lot has changed in the years. Just looking for friendly advice. Thanks
Do you have your CDL or a temporary one?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Cdl permit with air brake and combo so basically temp for 6months
In that case, I recommend you become an RTD, let FedEx pay for your training, then go to UPS. Here's why... FedEx RTDs top out in $28-31 range depending on where you live, in over 10 years. As you know, there is very little retirement and the insurance is pathetic. UPS feeder drivers top out around $36 in four years. They have great insurance, great pension (depending on where you are) and Union protection. Hours for both companies aren't great, but it's a trade off.

I will say though, if you stay at FedEx, RTD is the best hourly position in DGO and AGFS.

Csdsm18

Is it easy to hope over to ups? I'd like to stay with the company but if something pops up that's better like ups I may jump ship. Are you rtd for ups or fedex now?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Is it easy to hope over to ups? I'd like to stay with the company but if something pops up that's better like ups I may jump ship. Are you rtd for ups or fedex now?
I was RTD for FedEx for a short time. I'm a very senior courier. How easy it is to get on at UPS depends on where you live. Some places are hiring feeders off the street. Others wait up to 20 years.

MAKAVELI

Also I see it may be easier to go with ups freight but I don't know the difference with them.
From what I've heard you might as well stay at Express. The big money is with UPS package but it might be easier to get full-time with Express but depends where you live too just like OP stated.

Star B

White Lightening
Too many lot lizards?
Nah, some people just don't want the lifestyle. Depending on the pecking order, you may be the one running the overnight shuttle. Some people enjoy getting up at 5PM and have no problem falling asleep at 4AM and sleeping all day.

Other RTD issues that I can think of is just sheer boredom. In the courier world, your mind is engaged "what street, which house, etc, etc, etc".... in the RTD world... "striped line, striped line, oh hey, someone getting head on the highway, striped line... OH BOY A DOCK!!!"

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Nah, some people just don't want the lifestyle. Depending on the pecking order, you may be the one running the overnight shuttle. Some people enjoy getting up at 5PM and have no problem falling asleep at 4AM and sleeping all day.

Other RTD issues that I can think of is just sheer boredom. In the courier world, your mind is engaged "what street, which house, etc, etc, etc".... in the RTD world... "striped line, striped line, oh hey, someone getting head on the highway, striped line... OH BOY A DOCK!!!"
What changed my mind was realizing that it's a huge difference from being a courier. If you have an accident as a courier, it is handled in station, unless there is a death involved. If you have an accident in a CTV, everyone gets involved. The rules are much stricter for an RTD. Much more responsibility, and rightly so.

Schweddy

Balls
Depending on your plans with driving, some folks I know talk about going with Walmart or other large companies after getting the training from Fedex.

And I believe Fedex squeezes hours for rtd just like stations.

MAKAVELI

Depending on your plans with driving, some folks I know talk about going with Walmart or other large companies after getting the training from Fedex.

And I believe Fedex squeezes hours for rtd just like stations.
FT is pretty much guaranteed 8 hours a day. It's got to be one of the most kush jobs as an hourly at FedEx. They don't get much overtime though unless they are short handed or have a breakdown on road..