Looking forward to a "Safety Ride"

backinbrown

respect my authority
no going home at 430 and getting paid till 7 is good enough for me, lol

Wake up home at 430 bullsh#$

im sure your fellow drivers who are over ten could use you for ten stops or so

and i get the impression that if they give you 20-30 more stops you would still find a way to be in by 5

why work this way do you not wish to keep this job or are you hoping to go out on comp

doctor brown 688

yeah...but i'll put it simply i did a 10 hr planned day in 7.5 hrs and a 9 in 7 hours

You never said if this was a bonus center or not,I'll give you a little advice assuming it is not. Have you ever heard the old saying give them an inch and they will take a mile? This will most likely be your future,13.5 hours worth of work that you will now be required to do in 10 hours simply because you have proven you can. Someone will eventually notice that you are getting an under 8 hour day regardless of what the actual planned day is supposed to be. Ah,to be young,dumb,and full of ...........:devil3:

sano

So what is the standard? Is anybody that is faster than I am unsafe? I think we need to leave room for differing abilities. We often read on BC "work at a safe speed" For some people "safe" will be faster than others. Or by "work at a safe speed" do we mean "work slow, so you don't make others look bad"
If we all would work at the speed of the slowest among us, we would be a pretty useless bunch.

I am not trying to be disrespectful, I was just surprised by the strength of the blow-back the original poster got here.

backinbrown

respect my authority
So what is the standard? Is anybody that is faster than I am unsafe? I think we need to leave room for differing abilities. We often read on BC "work at a safe speed" For some people "safe" will be faster than others. Or by "work at a safe speed" do we mean "work slow, so you don't make others look bad"
If we all would work at the speed of the slowest among us, we would be a pretty useless bunch.

I am not trying to be disrespectful, I was just surprised by the strength of the blow-back the original poster got here.

"work at a safe speed" do we mean "work slow, so you don't make others look bad"

No i wouldn't say thats what was meant.

So if you are in a residential area should your idea of work safe be different than mine.

Can you go faster down the road than i can probly are you bieng safe no.

Can you run up the driveway faster than i can walk a fast pace, Yes you can are you bieng safe no.

Can you sort your truck during lunch while i rest my body yes you can but i will be here longer than you, your body will give out.

everyone works different but we should all follow methods

Ms.PacMan

We have industrial routes that are all businesses, all dock stops with many pieces or ASD letters that have killer time studies allowing the driver to run 1-2 hrs under.

These driver's got no help from customers on the day of the time study, lined the packages up on the floor before scanning them, then stacked them on pallets.

Drewed - the conversion is 1/100's X .6.
50 X .6 = 30 minutes
85 X .6 = 51 minutes
100 X .6 = 60 minutes
etc...

sano

"work at a safe speed" do we mean "work slow, so you don't make others look bad"

No i wouldn't say thats what was meant.

So if you are in a residential area should your idea of work safe be different than mine.

Can you go faster down the road than i can probably are you being safe no.

Can you run up the driveway faster than i can walk a fast pace, Yes you can are you bieng safe no.

Can you sort your truck during lunch while i rest my body yes you can but i will be here longer than you, your body will give out.

everyone works different but we should all follow methods
My point of view is definitely not as a driver (going to driver school in March, I hope)
This past Christmas I was a helper and I found it interesting that the one guy I helped was much slower than the other even though the slower one was 20 years younger.
In this case that i observed it was simply a mater of focus. The younger driver seemed to lose his concentration and stand there trying to make decisions. Where the older driver always seemed to think 3-5 moves ahead.
It was almost like a chess game where the younger driver was playing like I play chess. I am a very low level player so i look at what move should be made right now. Where as a master chess player (the older driver) thinks of the possible moves 4 or 5 moves ahead.

What I found interesting is that the slower driver referred to the faster one as a Runner gunner" and a unsafe worker. If anything the older driver was safer because everything he did was smoother. From driving to getting in and out of the car, everything was smooth and efficient.

Just my .02

Last edited:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I look at the report under my name to see how I did the day before and what I got paid. We have guys that run 2 hours late and some that run 2 hours early. To each his own.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Whenever I read posts about running underallowed or racking up very high SPORH I can only assume that your route is dense, streets are paved and have names, those names are on signs and maps, houses have numbers that are visible. Stops are not 8 miles apart; maybe your entire route is not 8 miles long.

You just described my route.:surprised:

browniehound

yeah...but i'll put it simply i did a 10 hr planned day in 7.5 hrs and a 9 in 7 hours

Theichii,
I am not one of the driver's that will criticize you for finishing early. I don't care about anyone else's numbers except mine and the response I get from them. If you can finish early(before 1600) then I'm all for it and respect your work ethic.

However, if you're working unsafe then I will question what you're doing. This is from a fellow driver's perspective. Hustle all you want outside the package car and convey your sense of urgency, but I hope you don't rush in the truck.

UPS is all about safety now. I thinks its a good thing regardless of their motives. UPS is pushing safety more than even now because of the cost benefit of less autos and injuries. I will not criticize them for that either.

If you're injury and auto free the less they will come down on you for SPOHR.

Work safe and you have my respect for being 2.5/hours under. If you're speeding, throwing packages at the customer's door from 15 feet away, and idling at every stop I must say SLOW DOWN too.

Your just going to cause an accident or cause an injury.

browniehound

I look at the report under my name to see how I did the day before and what I got paid. We have guys that run 2 hours late and some that run 2 hours early. To each his own.

Brownmonster,
I agree with you 100%. To each his own. We still get paid by the hour. Still, I don't want to be 2 hours over everyday. I want to prove my existence and would welcome a supervisor with me for 3 days if I was 2 hours over.

The sup. may cut some customer-contact time off but it would be negligible compare to what the sup. claimed I was running over. This brings me to another issue.

Most of us know our jobs better than anyone else. I don't think my sup. can ride with me for 3-days and tell me how to do the job better because he couldn't do it consistently better than I do everyday. He may be able to do it better for 1 or 2 days but I would smoke him in the long run.

My guess is most sups. would get lazy with the methods quicker than the driver he does the OJS on would. Its just human nature to cut corners. If you are going to bust my butt for 3 days I would just like for the supervisor to demostrate himself the numbers himself for 3 days.

I understand some drivers require an OJS but many don't. I've never had one in my 9 years but would welcome it like a kiss from Jennifer Aniston if my boss thought I was performing under-par.

leastbest

LeastBest
In the early eighties I was given a lot of production rides. I threatened to file a grievance if I had any more rides so a week later a supervisor got in my truck and said I was having a Safety Ride. Then he pulled out a stopwatch.

For the first few hours I focused strictly on safety and he'd say, "You could do this more efficiently", or something about my walk pace. Each time I'd say, don't worry about production, this is a safety ride.

We were an hour behind at pickup time. He said we'd better pick up the pace for pickups. I told him not to worry about it, it was a safety ride.

He went berserk and started yelling. He said, "There are no such thing as safety rides. All rides are production rides."

Since then I"ve told many supervisors this story and they all agreed that all rides are production rides. What a shock.

backinbrown

respect my authority
I understand some drivers require an OJS but many don't. I've never had one in my 9 years but would welcome it like a kiss from Jennifer Aniston if my boss thought I was performing under-par.

we have to have an ojs once a year

tieguy

Banned
I think that the 2 hours bonus this driver thinks he is making is all the time that he spends on the dock before his start time. All the time he spends working by punching out earlier and continues to work. All the time he spends working through his lunch and recording that he had taken on. The time spent not taking his ten minute paid break.. The time spent going above the posted speeds and rolling stops sign. All the time spent for cutting customers the service that they are begging and paying for. The time spent for blowing off pickups or giving them to a different driver. The time spent scanning airs before they are deliver after 10:30 either closed or dr'd and delivering them without needing to cut from loop. The time spent for working very unsafe. The time spent for padding stops. The time spent for signing for packages or using signature released when handing the customer their package. The time spent for double parking and making happy people a difficult commute unhappy. The time spent for signing for packages. The time spent running and not walking at a brisk pace costing the company Millions on injurys. These are a few things that UPS rewards its employees for called BONUS! If you are in management you have a whole new set of time cutting measures that you are rewarded!

I am sure there are hundreds more! Anymore please respond...:smart:

There are routes that are difficult or impossible to scratch there are others that are easy to beat. There are routes you can beat pretty well as long as you're physically able to maintain a certain pace all day long. So yea I know there are runners out there short cutting but not everyone that can bust scratch is running and or taking unsafe short cuts or working before they are on the clock.

backinbrown

respect my authority
There are routes that are difficult or impossible to scratch there are others that are easy to beat. There are routes you can beat pretty well as long as you're physically able to maintain a certain pace all day long. So yea I know there are runners out there short cutting but not everyone that can bust scratch is running and or taking unsafe short cuts or working before they are on the clock.

OK if he is in at 4:30 he ethier ran his day or one hell of a bad dispatch

and do you really think they are going to under dispatch him that many days no way

he will get more work jmo

bigbrownhen

We have a few of the runner gunners in my facilty. They usually have a hand full of clerk pkgs(NSN)to turn in that afternoon.The next driver to work on that route will have to clean it up, with a handfull of driver followups to deal with and hear customer complaints all day.