Looking forward to a "Safety Ride"

There are routes that are difficult or impossible to scratch there are others that are easy to beat. There are routes you can beat pretty well as long as you're physically able to maintain a certain pace all day long. So yea I know there are runners out there short cutting but not everyone that can bust scratch is running and or taking unsafe short cuts or working before they are on the clock.
From the mouth (finger tips) of an experienced management person to the eras(eyes) of IE.

Good post Tie.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
We have a few of the runner gunners in my facilty. They usually have a hand full of clerk pkgs(NSN)to turn in that afternoon.The next driver to work on that route will have to clean it up, with a handfull of driver followups to deal with and hear customer complaints all day.

We have a guy that runs and guns for no reason. This guy drives down the highway like a madman. I mean this literally. He fails to hook up the TP60 properly, leaving the electric cord and chains bouncing down the highway. He blows of stops, sheeting them as NSN, NI, CLO. He's sheeted, (I heard), 21 stops in a minute, as NI. This guy is a deadly collision waiting to happen. Yet, he gets in later than I do. When confronted about his behavior, man to man, he gets offended. Why? What's the point of it all. What is he accomplishing? Is he a FedEx plant? This guy will one day, singlehandedly cause havoc, and no one is listening. What would you all do?

rod

Retired 22 years
We have a guy that runs and guns for no reason. This guy drives down the highway like a madman. I mean this literally. He fails to hook up the TP60 properly, leaving the electric cord and chains bouncing down the highway. He blows of stops, sheeting them as NSN, NI, CLO. He's sheeted, (I heard), 21 stops in a minute, as NI. This guy is a deadly collision waiting to happen. Yet, he gets in later than I do. When confronted about his behavior, man to man, he gets offended. Why? What's the point of it all. What is he accomplishing? Is he a FedEx plant? This guy will one day, singlehandedly cause havoc, and no one is listening. What would you all do?

He don't ride a bike and run foot races does he?:wink2:

SuperSup

Theichii,
I am not one of the driver's that will criticize you for finishing early. I don't care about anyone else's numbers except mine and the response I get from them. If you can finish early(before 1600) then I'm all for it and respect your work ethic.

However, if you're working unsafe then I will question what you're doing. This is from a fellow driver's perspective. Hustle all you want outside the package car and convey your sense of urgency, but I hope you don't rush in the truck.

UPS is all about safety now. I thinks its a good thing regardless of their motives. UPS is pushing safety more than even now because of the cost benefit of less autos and injuries. I will not criticize them for that either.

If you're injury and auto free the less they will come down on you for SPOHR.

Work safe and you have my respect for being 2.5/hours under. If you're speeding, throwing packages at the customer's door from 15 feet away, and idling at every stop I must say SLOW DOWN too.

Your just going to cause an accident or cause an injury.

This is a great point; a center can miss the production numbers and still make cost if it focuses on some other variables. But in most medium or small centers, one injury or accident (especially tier 3's) will blow your cost out of the water. As long as you have district staff that understands this, safety will always take center stage. And by the way, if I have a low seniority driver walking in the door at 4:00, they're going back out to take a cut off of a senior driver who's not looking for hours.

Theichii

I think that the 2 hours bonus this driver thinks he is making is all the time that he spends on the dock before his start time. I get there maybe 15-20 minutes before start time.All the time he spends working by punching out earlier and continues to work. Once i punch out i'm going to my house. All the time he spends working through his lunch and recording that he had taken on. I'm sure I "waste at least an hour during the day (smoke breaks, getting the cute girls to sign for packages and admiring how intuitive her cat is). The time spent not taking his ten minute paid break.(I wasn't aware of a paid 10 minute break that i got). The time spent going above the posted speeds and rolling stops sign. (I follow all posted speeds, i drive a lot of small towns where police are watching intently) All the time spent for cutting customers the service that they are begging and paying for. (i deliver all packages to the customer or in a safe location and tell each one i see "hey, how you doing") The time spent for blowing off pickups or giving them to a different driver. (i only have 4 p/u's) The time spent scanning airs before they are deliver after 10:30 either closed or dr'd and delivering them without needing to cut from loop.(my air isn't committed) The time spent for working very unsafe.(i use my hand rail and close the bulkhead) The time spent for padding stops. (My center manager would have a fit if i went out with more than he told his "counting preloaders" said i had) The time spent for signing for packages or using signature released when handing the customer their package.(rarely do i get a signature required) The time spent for double parking and making happy people a difficult commute unhappy. (can you double park in the country?) The time spent for signing for packages.(now your repeating yourself) The time spent running and not walking at a brisk pace costing the company Millions on injurys.(too hot to run) These are a few things that UPS rewards its employees for called BONUS! If you are in management you have a whole new set of time cutting measures that you are rewarded!

I am sure there are hundreds more! Anymore please respond...:smart:

Theichii

Whenever I read posts about running underallowed or racking up very high SPORH I can only assume that your route is dense, streets are paved and have names, those names are on signs and maps, houses have numbers that are visible. Stops are not 8 miles apart; maybe your entire route is not 8 miles long.

I do around 150-170 miles a day and i come home so dirty that the water is brown as it runs down the drain in the shower...