Looks like the last mile optimization is being shelved for now!

CatMan

In fact some part time couriers are being offered hours to go help out the nearby Ground terminal with some deliveries, seems unlikely since we're understaffed as well with near peak volume.

Maui

This is only for select markets.

It's a good problem that FXG has so much volume. It needs to be managed by a network that can get it delivered efficiently without incurring the massive cost increases from OT and cartage agents.

Last edited:

Star B

White Lightening
In fact some part time couriers are being offered hours to go help out the nearby Ground terminal with some deliveries, seems unlikely since we're understaffed as well with near peak volume.
um, no, fulltimers are also being sent...

AB831

This is only for select markets.

It's a good problem that FXG has so much volume. It needs to be managed by a network that can get it delivered efficiently without incurring the massive cost increases from OT and cartage agents.
A good problem for who? Fat Freddy or the guys working themselves into an early grave for a handler's wage?

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
FXE Volunteers... I'm now seeing a few express drivers coming in as the 2nd shift.

I'm part of that 2nd phase of incoming drivers... my manager will set me up with a route that was blown out.

I'll take mostly the SmartPost and other smalls in a Ford transit rental vehicle and if done early, go help out others on road until midnight.

2 man crews in bigger rental box trucks as a 2nd shift as well to getthe oversized freight, so regular route drivers are averaging 300 stops each of smalls to medium sized boxes.

Rolling in at 0930 1000. Sort/load until noon. About 45 minutes to an hour to the first stop.

I'm not getting tired since I was used to working long hours from my previous route.

plus not dealing with trampolines, beds, rug rolls, tires... makes this corona peak season easier than Xmas peak

bacha29

FXE Volunteers... I'm now seeing a few express drivers coming in as the 2nd shift.

I'm part of that 2nd phase of incoming drivers... my manager will set me up with a route that was blown out.

I'll take mostly the SmartPost and other smalls in a Ford transit rental vehicle and if done early, go help out others on road until midnight.

2 man crews in bigger rental box trucks as a 2nd shift as well to getthe oversized freight, so regular route drivers are averaging 300 stops each of smalls to medium sized boxes.

Rolling in at 0930 1000. Sort/load until noon. About 45 minutes to an hour to the first stop.

I'm not getting tired since I was used to working long hours from my previous route.

plus not dealing with trampolines, beds, rug rolls, tires... makes this corona peak season easier than Xmas peak
You need your head examined. Every stop , every crate and I mean crate because they're way past the package stage a little bit more cartilage gets worn away and before you know it , it's just bone grinding against bone and every day becomes an exercise in an ever increasing level of pure physical pain.

Maui

A good problem for who? Fat Freddy or the guys working themselves into an early grave for a handler's wage?
FedEx employees. That volume and the way the business is managed keeps 450,000 people employed. It also means long-term viability so that the company endures and can provide retirement to those that have made it a career.

What’s the alternative?

AB831

FedEx employees. That volume and the way the business is managed keeps 450,000 people employed. It also means long-term viability so that the company endures and can provide retirement to those that have made it a career.

What’s the alternative?
Finding a different job.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
"Retirement?"

Fred's idea of retirement for couriers is: "here's your monthly check for 78 dollars but your retiree's insurance monthly premium is 900 dollars. Too bad about your back and your knees, sucks to be you now go sponge off a relative or shack up with your crack addicted girlfriend at that seedy trailer park at the edge of town. Oh, yeah happy (chuckle) retirement."

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Due to overwhelming volume, Ground cannot accept any Express freight (for now).

It was said from the outset that packages would be sent to Ground contingent on their ability to meet the Express service commitments.

floridays

It was said from the outset that packages would be sent to Ground contingent on their ability to meet the Express service commitments.
Kinda like the airline couldn't deliver all their passengers to their final destination?
Exactly when does the duty of an "airline," in transfer cease to exist?
What is Delta's commitment?

floridays

You have essentially stated Fedex Express will divert packages to ground as long as the Express brand is not harmed of destroyed.

Is that correct?

If that is correct, what would exclude FEDEX airlines from moving ALL freight to a brother company, or cartage third party agent?

If you answer nothing, exactly when does the duty of the airline portion end?