Lose your CDL?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
If you are behind on support obligations, can I lose my CDL?

Sent using BrownCafe App

I'm guessing it depends on what state you're in. My ex lost his business license, real estate license AND driver's license, for a short time, for not paying child support. He also could have gone to jail if I had agreed to it. They don't play.

UPSGUY72

If you are behind on support obligations, can I lose my CDL?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Yes states can and do take people drivers and professional licenses when they don't pay child support.

You can find your answer out buy doing a google search for you state rules for failure to pay child support....

over9five

Staff member
Kinda a stupid idea to take away the way someone makes his money because he hasn't paid enough support.
Gives him zero chance of making it up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The CDL is usually taken only as a last resort for the very reason Over gave. They will garnish wages, seize tax refunds and drain bank accounts before they will take away someone's ability to make a living.

As someone who knows all too well about paying child support, I have little to no sympathy for a non-custodial parent who doesn't fulfill their financial obligation to their kids.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
But that's not possible now that they've taken away his means to make money. It makes no sense.

I agree, but unfortunately some people need a wake up call. A lot of times what it does is cause the other parent to work under the table. Depending on the state, they will also keep you from leaving the country. I guess they put some kind of block on your passport.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Are people given a warning prior to losing their licenses? Even if not, I am sure at some point in time they'd be alerted to potential consequences for not fulfilling their obligations, whether during the initial notification letting them know they'll have to pay support, or in some correspondence received in the mail.

upschuck

Payroll deduction should be the norm. People don't have the financial wherewithal to properly budget and be financially responsible.

bluebiker

Payroll deduction should be the norm. People don't have the financial wherewithal to properly budget and be financially responsible.

Some people, particularly the self-employed or people that work out of a hiring hall (they work for someone for too short a time that the order to garnish can't be enforced) can get away with paying.

People are given plenty of warning that they could forfeit any professional license. Tax refunds can be confiscated also. I know in NJ occasionally the roundup people delinquent on support and put them in jail.

You ask, "How can the lock people up, then they can't pay their obligation?"

By the time they suspend licenses, or jail people they've had plenty of chances to pay support. Usually they just don't want to, yes there could be a hardship but most of the time it's just one spouse wanting to get even with the other.

bluebiker

Had to send mine to the probation dept. money orders only. It was a pain, then had to pay a lawyer and get a court order to get it to stop when my son was emancipated.